Duterte still most trusted PH government official — Pulse Asia

Robie de Guzman   •   July 17, 2019   •   2735

An undated handout photo made available by the Presidential Photographers Division (PPD) shows Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte (center) is greeted by supporters during his meeting with the Filipino community in Seoul, South Korea (issued on 16 July 2019).

MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte is still the most trusted government official in the country based on the latest survey of the Pulse Asia Research, Incorporated released on Wednesday (July 17).

Pulse Asia reported that Duterte got an 85 percent approval and trust rating in the survey conducted from June 24 to 30.

The figure was two points below the 87 percent that Duterte received in March.

Only three percent of the 1,200 survey respondents said they disapprove of Duterte’s performance as chief executive, 4 percent claimed to have small or no trust in him while 11 percent were undecided.

Earlier this month, Duterte also got a new personal record-high satisfaction rating of 80 percent despite the ramming incident near Recto Bank in June, according to the survey of Social Weather Stations.

READ: Record-high rating: Duterte’s ‘political will’ makes him unique – Analyst

Vice President Ma. Leonor “Leni” Robredo, meanwhile, obtained a 55 percent approval rating and 52 percent trust rating; 26 percent claimed they have small or no trust in her while 24 percent disapproved of her performance as vice president.

Senate President Vicente Sotto III also enjoyed high ratings in the latest survey, garnering 77 percent approval rating and 73 percent trust rating.

Pulse Asia noted that approval is the predominant opinion as regards the work of President Duterte and Senate President Sotto across geographic areas. Vice-President Robredo enjoys majority approval in most geographic areas and socio-economic groupings, with only Metro Manilans and those in Class ABC withholding majority scores from her.

On the other hand, former House Speaker Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo got 26 percent approval rating and 22 percent trust rating while Supreme Court Chief Justice Lucas Bersamin obtained 41 percent approval rating and 35 percent trust rating.

Among the key issues that dominated headlines during the survey period were the reported ramming of a Filipino fishing vessel in Recto Bank; the explosion in Indanan, Sulu; the public school teachers’ plea for pay hike; fraud allegations in the May 2019 polls; the call made by 11 United Nations experts for the conduct of a probe on the human rights situation in the Philippines; deportation from Hong Kong of former DFA Secretary Albert del Rosario and Philhealth “ghost” dialysis claims.

Pulse Asia said it has 95 percent confidence level in the survey results with an error margin of +/-2.8 percent.

Duterte fires OCD Deputy Administrator Kristoffer James Purisima

Marje Pelayo   •   May 22, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte has dismissed Kristoffer James Purisima as deputy administrator assistant secretary of the Office of the Civil Defense (OCD).

According to Presidential Spokesperson Secretary Harry Roque, the President decided to remove Purisima from office due to “loss of trust and confidence.”

Roque could not tell, however, under what circumstance prompted the President to fire Purisima.

Wala na po akong ibang impormasyon (I don’t have additional information) other than he was terminated due to loss of trust and confidence,” Roque confirmed.

The OCD is the government’s main unit responsible for disaster preparedness and response in times of calamity.

Prior to his position in OCD, Purisima served as spokesperson of Task Force Bangon Marawi. MNP (with details from Rosalie Coz)

Duterte warns of return to strict quarantine restrictions if COVID-19 crisis worsens

Marje Pelayo   •   May 20, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte reminds the public to heed government protocols for the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) crisis even after community quarantine has been relaxed. 

On May 16, Metro Manila shifted to modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) from enhanced community quarantine to help revive the Philippines’ crippled economy. 

But President Duterte stressed that such relaxation in restrictions doesn’t mean the country is free of COVID-19 and warned that the government might again tighten restrictions if situations get worse. 

“Remember this, the loosening of the restrictions does not mean [we’re COVID-free],” he said. 

“If the contamination will be as fast as before, and it will continue to infect yung nakalabas na (people who are allowed to go out), then we’ll have to just go back to original program,” he added. 

Meanwhile, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque denied allegations that the government is not ready or has no policy for the conduct of COVID-19 mass testing. 

Roque stressed that the government in fact is now preparing to hit the target of 30,000 a day testing capacity by the end of May. 

“From the very beginning, we have had a systematic targeted testing at sa tingin po natin ang sinusunod natin ay benchmark recognized internationally specifically by the WHO,” the Palace Spokesperson said in defense against against critics who are questioning the government’s advice of letting private companies shoulder COVID-19 testing for their respective workers who are returning to work. 

Roque added that the government is targeting to test around 1.5% to 2% of the more than 100 million Filipinos for COVID-19 infection and clarified on what is referred to as ‘mass testing.’

“Ang tawag po dapat ay expanded targeted testing,” he said. 

READ: Phl conducting ‘expanded’ targeted testing, not mass testing vs COVID-19 – DOH

“Wala pong bansa sa buong mundo na ang lahat ng mga mamamayan nito (ay tine-test) kaya nga po mali ang terminong mass testing,” he concluded. MNP (with details from Rosalie Coz)

Duterte on short visit to Davao City — Palace

Marje Pelayo   •   May 18, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — Presidential Spokesperson Secretary Harry Roque confirmed that President Rodrigo Duterte travelled to Davao City on Friday (May 15) to visit his family.

The President opted to stay in Metro Manila in the past two months to focus on his work amid the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak and due to tight restrictions under enhanced community quarantine (ECQ). 

Aside from family visit, the President intended to check on the situation in Mindanao relative to the health crisis.

“President Rodrigo Roa Duterte is now in Davao City to visit his family whom he has not seen in months and to assess the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) situation in Mindanao,” Roque said. 

The Palace spokesman assured, however, that the President will be present in the scheduled meeting of the Inter-Agency Task Force against COVID-19 on Tuesday (May 19). 

“Rest assured that he will be back in Malacañang in time for the next IATF briefing,’ Roque concluded. MNP (with details from Rosalie Coz)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.