Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

Duterte signs Philippine Mental Health Law

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Thursday, 21 June 2018 04:59 PM

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte, in his speech during the 56th anniversary of the Philippine Constitution Association (PHILCONSA) at the Manila Hotel on September 26, 2017, reiterates that there will be no let up in his fight against illegal drugs, corruption, and criminality. SIMEON CELI JR./PRESIDENTAL PHOTO

 

MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte has signed into law Republic Act No. 11036 or the Philippine Mental Health Law.

The new law assures protection of the rights and welfare of persons in need of mental health assistance by integrating mental health care system and facilities in major hospitals in Metro Manila and in provincial hospitals across the country.

“The public has now to accept, kapag nagkaroon po ng mga ganito,they need help,” said Senate Committee on Health and Demography Chairman JV Ejercito.

The government assured to provide enough fund for the enactment of the law.  Mental health care is expected to be integrated into the coverage of the Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (PhilHealth.)

On the downside, Senator Ejercito expressed concern over the ongoing controversy that PhilHealth is facing.   The Senator said, it might compromise the full implementation of the Mental Health Law.

“We have to make sure that PhilHealth’s performance in the financial standing would be very good to implement the universal health care and mental health care as well,” Ejercito said.

Senate is still investigating the issue of irregularities in PhilHealth particularly the alleged unauthorized transfer of P10.6 billion  state insurance fund to a certain program of the Department of Health. – Nel Maribojoc / Marje Pelayo

Tags: ,

Duterte signs Philippine Occupational Therapy Law

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Tuesday, 19 March 2019 07:51 PM

President Rodrigo Duterte has signed Republic Act 11241 or Philippine Occupational Therapy Law which will regulate the practice of occupational therapy in the country.

Duterte signed it on March 11 and was released to the media on Tuesday.

Under the said law, there will be a Board of Occupational Therapy under the supervision of the Professional Regulation Commission (PRC).

This board will supervise and regulate the registration, license and practice of occupational therapy in the country.

“It shall develop and nurture competent, virtuous, productive and well-rounded occupational therapists whose standards of practice shall be excellent, world class and globally competitive through inviolable, honest, effective and credible licensure examinations and through regulatory measures, programs and activities that foster their continuing professional growth,” the law states.

There will also be a license examination which will be open to Filipino and foreign occupational therapists. Passers will have to meet the requirement of 75% general average with no grade lower than 60% in any subject.

Occupational therapists treat patients patients that have physical, sensory, or cognitive disability. They help develop, recover, improve, as well as maintain the skills needed for daily living and working.—Aileen Cerrudo

Tags: , , ,

Duterte signs law abolishing Road Board

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Tuesday, 19 March 2019 05:23 PM

President Rodrigo Duterte has finally signed the law abolishing the controversial Road Board.

The Republic Act 11239 was enacted on March 8, according to the document released by Malacañang on Tuesday (March 19).

The newly-signed law abolishes the Road Board which previously managed the road user’s tax or Motor Vehicle User’s Charge (MVUC) for repair and maintenance of roads.

Under the measure, the monies collected from the MVUC will now be remitted to the National Treasury Bureau under a special account in the General Fund.

The law states that the collected fund “should be earmarked solely for the construction, upgrading, repair and rehabilitation of roads, bridges, and road drainage to be included in the yearly General Appropriations Act.”

A Congressional Oversight Committee will also be established to monitor the implementation of this act and the use of special funds.

The committee shall be composed of five members each from the Lower House and Senate to be appointed by the Speaker of the House and Senate President, respectively.

The panel must have one member each from the minority groups and will be jointly chaired by a designated member of the House of Representatives and a Senator.

The law stated that the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) shall, as needed, absorb the employees of the abolished Road Board Secretariat, without diminution of their salaries and other benefits.

Employees who are separated from the service as a result of the abolition of the Road Board and its secretariat shall receive separation benefits provided that those who are qualified to retire under existing laws shall be allowed to retire and receive retirement benefits to which they may be entitled under applicable laws, rules and regulations.

The law also mandates the transfer of Road Board rights, records, assets and liabilities to the DPWH, including the unexpended appropriations or allocations.

The Secretaries of the Department of Budget and Management (DBM), Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) and the Department of Transportation (DOTr) shall craft the Implementing Rules and Regulations (IRR) within 30 days from the effectivity of this act.

President Rodrigo Duterte has been pushing for the abolition of the Road Board, calling the agency a “milking cow” of corrupt government officials.

In 2018, the Commission on Audit flagged Road Board’s billions of pesos worth of unobligated projects and millions of pesos of excessive costs and overpayment. – Robie de Guzman

Tags: , ,

Some personalities on Duterte’s ‘narco-list’ deny allegations

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Friday, 15 March 2019 04:51 PM

President Rodrigo Duterte reads out the names of alleged narco-politicians

MANILA, Philippines – Several personalities whose names were mentioned by President Rodrigo Duterte on Thursday (March 14) as among those listed on his narco-list have spoken up to clear their names.

El Nido, Palawan Mayor Nieves Rosento questioned the government’s claim that the allegations against them have been validated.

“Sinasabi po nila na they validated all of these. Saan po talaga actual na nakukuha yung mga information? Will it be sa mga taong kumakalaban sa atin o yung mga nasagasaan natin ng pagi-implement natin ng batas? (They were saying that they have validated all of these. Where did they get the actual information? Was it from our rivals in the election or was it from those offended by our implementation of the law?),” she said.

Pangasinan 1st District Rep. Jesus Celeste maintained his clean conscience on the matter ever since his name was implicated in illegal drugs two years ago.

“Sa unang una pa lamang noong 2016, nagrequest na ako na imbestigahan ako. Binuksan ko ang pamamahay ko na imbestigahan lahat. Meron namang resulta na. Negative lahat ang result, (Even before in 2016, I requested to investigate myself. I opened my house doors for investigation. And the results were negative,)” Celeste argued.

Los Baños Laguna Mayor Ceazar Perez, for his part, asserted his innocence ever since his name was dragged into the controversy.

“2017 pa lang kumakalat na iyang involved ako sa drugs. Binabalewala ko lang kasi walang katotohanan yung bagay na yun, (These drug allegations against me has been going around since 2017. I just ignore it because there is no truth to that matter,)” he said.

On Thursday (March 15), President Rodrigo Duterte surprised the public by naming the alleged drug personalities on his narco-list.

The list involved 35 mayors, seven vice mayors, one provincial board member and three congressmen.

They are from Ilocos Region, Cagayan Valley, MIMAROPA, Caraga Region, Central Visayas, Zamboanga Peninsula, Central Luzon, SOCCSKARGEN, Northern Mindanao and Western Visayas.

 “There can never be a valid argument to deny the public, the people of the Philippines at large, to know who are the officials who should not be there in their office and in these particular case now, those who are involve  in the deadly name of drug trafficking,” the President said.

According to DILG Undersecretary Jonathan Malaya, they released the narco-list as part of their mandate adding that such a move has nothing to do with the upcoming election.

“I would like to assure na ang ating mga kababayan, even yung mga nagsasabi ng negative campaigning na wala po kaming instensyong ganun. (I would like to assure the public, even those who accused us of negative campaigning, that we have no such intention.)  This is just incidental na panahon ng eleksyon ngayon (that election period is on,)” explained Malaya.

The official said the narco-list was carefully screened by the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA), the lead agency in the Inter-Agency Committee On Anti-Illegal Drugs with the help of other law enforcement agencies to nclude the Philippine National Police (PNP), the Armed Forces Of The Philippines (AFP), and the National Intelligence Coordinating Agency.

“So itong apat na ahensyang ito, nagtulungan para mabuo itong listahan na ito,(These four agencies worked together to come up with this list.) So we are very confident. Mabigat yung ating mga ebidensya at sana panigan tayo ng Ombudsman, (We have strong evidence and we hope the Ombudsman will rule in our favor,)” Malaya concluded. – Marje Pelayo (with details from Nel Maribojoc)

Tags: , ,