Duterte reveals readiness of Marcos family to return gold bars to the government

UNTV News   •   August 29, 2017   •   3315

IMAGE_UNTV_NEWS_082917_DUTERTE ON MARCOSES

MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte said he is prepared to accept the explanation of the Marcos family after they expressed willingness to return to the government the gold bars currently in their possession.

The said gold bars were initially believed to be part of the Marcos’ family’s ill-gotten wealth.

This has been the pronouncement of President Rodrigo Duterte when he led the mass oath-taking ceremony of the newly appointed officials of the government on Tuesday afternoon.

“They [Marcoses] said they’ll open everything and probably return whatever is found,” said Duterte.

“It’s not big, ‘But we are ready to open and bring back even a few gold bars’ he said, ” the president quoted an unnamed spokesperson for the Marcoses.

Duterte added he is looking for individuals with good reputation who can handle the negotiation with the Marcoses.

Meanwhile, the chief executive has once again criticized the Office of the Ombudsman for what he claimed as its “selective justice”.

The president cited as example the lawmakers facing cases involving the pork barrel scam.

He noted, these lawmakers are all members of the opposition of the previous administration.

The president said he is hoping that in the remaining time of Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales in the agency, she would be able to implement the real mandate of the institution.

“The Office of the Ombudsman has mastered the art of selective justice. Harsh on some, soft on others, even when they all suffer from similar and analogous circumstances. Slow to act on complaints against the friendly, but  quick to decide against perceived hostiles. The enemy of the Ombudsman’s friend is the Ombudsman’s enemy too, so it seems,” Duterte said.

The president also took the opportunity to defend his son in law,  Mans Carpio, the husband of his daughter Davao City Mayor Sarah Duterte.

This is after Mans’ alleged visit to the Bureau of Customs, and who is now also being linked to corruption in the agency.

Duterte said his son-in-law is a lawyer and has been representing big clients like Mighty King even before it became Mighty Corp.

“Siyempre piliin mo ‘yung kliyenteng may pera (of course, you should choose clients with money). Pero sabi ko, kung hanggang diyan, OK lang ( But I said, if its only limited to that, it’s okay). It’s lawyering. Nobody can question us and even I, when as a matter of fact it is just part of our profession, our vocation as a lawyer.  Alam naman natin ’yang mga abogado (As lawyers, we all know that), ” he added.  – Rosalie Coz | UNTV News & Rescue

 

Duterte to deliver public address on April 12, Roque says

Aileen Cerrudo   •   April 10, 2021

MANILA, Philippines—President Rodrigo Duterte will deliver his public address on Monday (April 12), Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque Jr. confirmed.

In a text message to reporters on Saturday (April 10), the Palace official said the President will push through with his weekly public address on Monday.

Duterte skipped his public address last week after several members of the Presidential Security Group (PSG) tested positive for the COVID-19. Due to his several days of absence, speculations have surfaced questioning the state of the President’s health.

However, several officials, already assured that Duterte is of good health and will deliver his public address on Monday.

Meanwhile, Roque said he was admitted to a hospital for COVID-19 treatment. AAC

SC junks petition vs PH withdrawal from ICC

Aileen Cerrudo   •   March 16, 2021

MANILA, Philippines—The Supreme Court (SC) on Tuesday (March 16) unanimously junked petitions against the Philippines ‘ withdrawal from the International Criminal Court (ICC).

The high court said the issue of the country’s withdrawal from the ICC  has been considered moot as the withdrawal has already taken effect on March 17, 2019.

“In a unanimous decision penned by Associate Justice Marvic M.V.F. Leonen, the Supreme Court dismissed the Petition questioning the unilateral withdrawal for being moot and academic,” the SC said in a briefer released on Tuesday (March 16).

The statement released by the SC public information office says the decision acknowledged that the President, as the primary architect of foreign policy, is subject to the Constitution and existing statute.

Therefore, the power of the President to withdraw unilaterally can be limited by the conditions for concurrence by the Senate or when there is an existing law that authorizes the negotiation of a treaty or international agreement or when there is a statute that implements an existing treaty,” it added.

Two petitions were filed against President Rodrigo Duterte’s decision to withdraw from the ICC, stating the decision still requires concurrence from two-thirds of the members of the Senate.

“The Court also noted that the judiciary has enough powers to protect human rights contrary to speculations raised by the petitioners,” the briefer reads.

Duterte made the announcement in March 2018, after the ICC announced it will conduct a preliminary investigation on the government’s war on drugs. -AAC

Bong Go ‘not interested’ in running for president, says Duterte was joking

Aileen Cerrudo   •   March 12, 2021

MANILA, Philippines—Senator Christopher ‘Bong’ Go has clarified he has no interest in joining in the 2022 presidential elections.

President Rodrigo Duterte on Thursday (March 11) revealed Go has interest in becoming president, which Go denied on Friday (March 12).

Itong si Senator Bong Go pababa kami ng eroplano sabi niya sir may hingi sana ako sayo ng pabor. Sabi ko ano? Sabi niya, medyo it leaves a bad taste malayo pa pero ikaw nalang ang magsabi sa kanila. Sabihin ko ang totoo, isang bagay lang ang sasabihin daw sa inyo— gusto niya maging presidente (When we are about to disembark the plane, he asked me for a favor. I asked what it is and he said, ‘it leaves a bad taste and it is still way down the road but I want you to tell them”. I will tell you the truth, I will say only one thing—he wants to be president),Duterte said.

Go, on Friday, clarified that the President only said that in jest and added he is content in serving as a Senator.

Sabi ko (I said) I am not interested to run for higher office. Joke lang po iyon ni Presidente. Siya lang po ang nanunukso. Siya lang po ang nag-uudyok (The President was just joking. He was the one urging [me]),Go said.

He also appealed to his co-parties in the Partido Demokratiko Pilipino–Lakas ng Bayan (PDP-Laban) not to include him in politics and only choose him as the last option.

Kung wala na kayong makita ako nalang po ang pinakahuli. Mauna na sila huwag niyo na po akong isali sa usapang politikal (If you cannot find someone, I can be the last option. Let others go first and do not me include in politics),” he said. AAC (with reports from Rosalie Coz)

 

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.