Duterte reactivates El Niño task force

Aileen Cerrudo   •   August 16, 2019   •   942

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte

President Rodrigo Duterte reactivated the El Niño task force this week after reports of recurrence of El Niño phenomenon.

The Memorandum No. 38, signed by Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea on Tuesday (Aug 13) aims to mitigate the effects of El Niño.

“Recent monitoring and analyses of the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) – Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical, and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) indicate that the warm sea surface temperature fully developed into the El Niño phenomenon,” according to the memorandum.

READ: PAGASA: 17 provinces face drought due to El Niño

The task force will submit a monthly report to the president through the executive secretary on the implementation of the memorandum order.

PAGASA previously said the dry spell might continue until August.—AAC

GCTA surrenderer calls on Duterte for ‘mercy’

Aileen Cerrudo   •   September 12, 2019

“Inamin ko iyong kaso ko na hindi ko naman ginawa, (I admitted to a crime I did not commit,” Lando said.

Lando, not his real name, said he had good behavior during his time in prison. He was released under the good conduct time allowance (GCTA) law last January 2017.

He also said he did not pay for anything to avail the benefits of the GCTA law.

But after President Rodrigo Duterte’s order, he had no choice but to surrender. However, he calls on the president to give inmates like him a chance.

“Dapat alam din ni presidente ang damdamin ng mahirap. Sana maawa siya doon sa mga taong gusto talagang magbagong buhay, (The president should also consider poor people’s feelings. I hope he shows mercy to those individuals who really want to change their lives),” he said.

Meanwhile, the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) assured that they will release inmates who really deserve to be released.

According to BuCor PIO Chief Sr. Insp. Eusebio Del Rosario Jr., they will provide clearance to those who are really eligible to be released “in accordance with the policy or the law.”

“Kung hindi sila mag-qualify dito o upon the re-computation kung mayroon pa silang natitirang sentensya na kailangang i-serve, itutuloy nila iyon, (If they did not qualify here or upon the re-computation, or they still have remaining sentence they need to serve, they have to continue it)” he said.—AAC (with reports from Sherwin Culubong)

Duterte on GCTA issue: ‘I suspect that corruption was present there’

Aileen Cerrudo   •   September 4, 2019

President Rodrigo Duterte suspected that there might be corruption in the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) regarding the issue on the good conduct time allowance (GCTA) law.

“I suspect that corruption was present there [at the BuCor]. Ibig sabihin, baka iyong iba, baka binili (meaning, some might have offered bribe). That’s why it’s important that we rearrest and re-investigate,” he said during a press briefing on Wednesday (Sept 4).

Duterte called on the released heinous crime convicts to surrender for a recomputation of their GCTA.

“I will give you 15 days liberty provided you make yourself available anytime that you will be called for an investigation to have a recomputation, or if there is an investigation of corruption then you cooperate fully,” he added.

During the Senate hearing on Wednesday, Senate President Senator Vicente Sotto III said there is an intelligence report on a so-called “GCTA for sale” in BuCor.

“Marami raw pera ang umikot, milyones daw (There is a lot of money involved, millions) we have intelligence report. I already shared [it] with Sen. Lacson,” said Sotto.—AAC (with reports from Grace Casin)

Duterte orders freed heinous crime convicts to surrender

Aileen Cerrudo   •   September 4, 2019

Inmates at the Manila City Jail | Courtesy: Photoville International

President Rodrigo Duterte has ordered the heinous crime convicts who were released through the good conduct time allowance (GCTA) law to surrender.

“All of you, released under GCTA, you surrender or have yourself registered under BuCor (Bureau of Corrections),” he said.

During a press conference on Wednesday (Sept 4), the Chief Executive has given them 15 days to surrender. He is also considering a P1 million reward for the re-arrest of each released heinous crime convict who refuses to surrender.

BuCor data shows that 1,914 heinous crime convicts have been released under the GCTA since 2014.

They also include the three convicts in the rape-slay of the Chiong sisters.

According to Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Eduardo Año, the PNP will track those who will not surrender to the authorities after the 15 days given by the president.

“They are given 15 days to show up and submit for investigation to recompute the GCTA. After the deadline, the PNP will track and arrest those who will not surrender themselves to authorities,” he said.—AAC

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+63) 396-8688 (Tel)

(+63) 2 920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+63) 396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+63) 2 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.