Duterte orders freed heinous crime convicts to surrender
Aileen Cerrudo • September 4, 2019 • 1032
President Rodrigo Duterte has ordered the heinous crime convicts who were released through the good conduct time allowance (GCTA) law to surrender.
“All of you, released under GCTA, you surrender or have yourself registered under BuCor (Bureau of Corrections),” he said.
During a press conference on Wednesday (Sept 4), the Chief Executive has given them 15 days to surrender. He is also considering a P1 million reward for the re-arrest of each released heinous crime convict who refuses to surrender.
BuCor data shows that 1,914 heinous crime convicts have been released under the GCTA since 2014.
They also include the three convicts in the rape-slay of the Chiong sisters.
According to Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Eduardo Año, the PNP will track those who will not surrender to the authorities after the 15 days given by the president.
“They are given 15 days to show up and submit for investigation to recompute the GCTA. After the deadline, the PNP will track and arrest those who will not surrender themselves to authorities,” he said.—AAC
MANILA, Philippines – Senator Bong Go confirmed on Thursday (October 17) that President Rodrigo Duterte figured in a motorcycle accident on Wednesday night while doing rounds inside Malacañang complex.
But Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo explained that the President has already parked his motorcycle when he fell off the vehicle.
“The President was reaching for his shoe when he fell off his motorcycle that resulted in a minor injury, particularly light bruises and slight scratches, to his elbow and knee,” Panelo said.
According to Panelo, the President is now resting in his official residence.
“We assure our people that the President is fine, and his recovery entails no major medical procedure,” the Palace spokesperson concluded.
President Rodrigo Duterte has ordered a review of the nuclear energy agreement with a Russian firm, according to Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo.
In a statement after the 42nd Cabinet Meeting in Malacañang Friday (October 11) evening, Panelo said the president wants to study the proposal first.
Duterte had previously expressed his sentiment after arriving from Moscow on October 6.
“The Constitution does not (allow it). It is prohibited. That is why I have to talk to the Cabinet,” Duterte said. “The hard-line would come after I have consulted with everybody concerned, including people of the industry affected.”
According to Panelo, Department of Energy Secretary Alfonso Cusi has clarified that the memorandum signed by the president during his state visit in Russia was only a framework for discussion.
“The DOE reiterated that the Memorandum of Intent signed last October 4, 2019, was a framework for discussion and not for a particular construction of a small modular reactor (SMR). The President wanted to study first the proposal,” he said.
Panelo added that Cusi and DOE Assistant Secretary Gerardo Erguiza discussed the proposed nuclear energy deal with a company in Russia.
During his state visit in Russia, Duterte has signed a memorandum of intent with Russia on the exploration of possible cooperation in the construction of nuclear power plants.—AAC (with reports from Rosalie Coz)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.