Duterte orders adoption of cash-based budgeting system
Robie de Guzman • September 12, 2019 • 172
MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte has ordered the adoption of a cash-based budgeting system beginning this year in a bid to improve the fiscal planning of government agencies.
Under Executive Order No. 91, which was signed on Sept. 9 and made public on Sept. 12, Duterte directed government agencies to shift to a new system from the current obligation budgeting system.
“There is a need to improve the fiscal planning of government agencies through the implementation of an operational cash budget and by setting deadlines for obligation of funds and execution of projects during the fiscal year, in order to speed up the implementation of programs and to promptly deliver goods and services to our people,” Duterte said.
The order states that all authorized appropriations can only be used until the end of each fiscal year while payments for obligations incurred shall be made three months after the end of the validity of appropriations.
Any unreleased appropriations and unobligated allotments as well as unpaid obligations at the end of the year should be returned to the National Treasury and will not be available for expenditure, except by subsequent legislative enactment.
Financial subsidies appropriated to local government units, meanwhile, will be reverted to the National Treasury after the end of the succeeding fiscal year.
Moreover, projects with an implementation period exceeding 12 months shall require a multi-year contractual authority (MYCA) from the Department of Budget and Management (DBM) before their procurement, the order said.
The MYCA may also be issued for single-year procurement projects, or those with an implementation period of 12 months or less that are either research or scientific in nature.
The contractual authority shall cover the full project cost and will be the basis of the approved budget for the contract.
The government had long been operating on obligations-based budget which allowed agencies to spend funds even after the year ends.
The DBM previously attempted to shift to a cash-based budget for 2019 but this was thumbed down by Congress.
Duterte, however, insisted the new system believing that this will help ensure the speedy implementation of programs and delivery of services to the public.
MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte expressed sympathy to those who were affected by the earthquake in several parts of Mindanao, according to Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo.
In a statement, Panelo said the administration is asking the public to refrain from spreading disinformation which may cause undue alarm, panic, and stress to many.
In view of possible aftershocks, the Palace asks the public to remain calm and vigilant.
Panelo also gave the assurance that the national government, through the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (PHIVOLCS), is closely monitoring the situation and that the President has already ordered concerned agencies to act appropriately in assisting those who were affected.
“The Office of the President has already tasked all concerned agencies of the government to mobilize, respond and provide immediate assistance to those in need, as well as to study plans on how to rehabilitate the damaged areas,” Panelo concluded. MNP (with details from Rosalie Coz)
MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte has named former House Speaker Feliciano “Sonny” Belmonte as Special Envoy to Japan.
Based on a document from Malacañang released on Wednesday, Belmonte was appointed as special envoy to Japan for trade and market access.
Belmonte was appointed by Duterte on Oct. 15, Tuesday.
He served as Representative of the 4th District of Quezon City for three terms, and was elected as House speaker of the 15th and 16th Congress during the time of former presidents Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo and Benigno Aquino III, respectively.
Belmonte was Liberal Party’s former vice chairman before he resigned in September last year. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Rosalie Coz)
MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte on Sunday stressed the importance of following the due process in the ‘ninja cops’ issue, which allegedly involves several policemen, including the chief of the Philippine National Police (PNP), General Oscar Albayalde.
Duterte made the statement amid calls for Albayalde to resign over his purported link to illegal drugs.
“Eh kung mga ‘yung criminal binibigyan mo ng (Even criminals are given) presumption of innocence. You know, Albayalde is the PNP chief. Give me a clear proof that he was there on the take or was in the trafficking of drugs. Just because he was the… Tapos may tinawagan siya (he called someone),” he said after his arrival from Russia.
“I could not just do it in a knee jerk. I have to follow procedural due process and allow him time to answer,” he added. “The right to be heard – it’s given to criminals, to kidnappers. It should be given to a general of the Philippine National Police.”
When asked if he still trusts Albayalde, Duterte replied with: “Well, he is still there. Otherwise, I would have you know just — I would have told him to just go out.”
The issue on ‘ninja cops’ was revived when Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) chief Aaron Aquino bared during a 2020 budget hearing about the continued activities of ‘ninja cops’ and their link to so-called Manila ‘drug queen,’ later identified as former village chief Guia Gomez Castro.
Albayalde’s name was dragged into the issue after former Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) chief and now Baguio City mayor Benjamin Magalong mentioned a controversial 2013 anti-drug operation carried out by cops under Albayalde who was then the head of Pampanga police provincial office.
Albayalde was relieved from his post in 2014 for command responsibility while the involved operatives were charged and ordered dismissed.
The dismissal order, however, was not implemented as the police officers were only demoted in 2017.
The PNP chief has repeatedly denied the allegation. He insisted during a Senate hearing that he only called then Central Luzon Regional police director Aquino in 2016 to ask about the status of his former men’s case.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.