MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte still believes in former Bureau of Correction (BuCor) Chief Nicanor Faeldon despite his dismissal order.
For one, President Duterte noted Faeldon’s action of informing the President about a warehouse that stored billions of pesos worth of cigarette with fake tax stamps when he was still head of the Bureau of Customs (BOC).
That incident prompted the manufacturer to pay the government P37-B in tax.
This is one reason why despite the controversy that hounded the BuCor including the irregularities in conducting the law on Good Conduct Time Allowance (GCTA), President Duterte’s trust in Faeldon remains.
“Faeldon is a decent man. I still believe in him. There was a time when a businessman owned three warehouses filled with cigarettes with fake stamps,” the President said last Friday (September 6) at the groundbreaking ceremony and time capsule laying for the Naga permanent housing project.
“It was Faeldon who told me about it,” he added.
Malacañang clarified that it was not due to corruption that Faeldon was fired from office but because of disobeying the President’s order.
Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo noted, however, that Faeldon is not yet cleared as the Office of the Ombudsman is set to begin its investigations.
The Palace Spokesman added that it is the President who will decide whether or not to reappoint Faeldon to a different government position. – MNP (with details from Rosalie Coz)
The Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) continues to prepare the New Bilibid Prison’s (NBP) coronavirus disease (COVID-19) quarantine area at Site Harry.
On Thursday (April 30), BuCor received medical supplies and other equipment from the ICRC (International Committee of the Red Cross). The ICRC also renovated the isolation area for the Person’s Deprived of Liberty (PDL) who are exhibiting COVID-19-like symptoms.
The ICRC donated personal protective equipment (PPEs), beds and pillows.
The said isolation area was previously used as a work area for making handicrafts. The area can accommodate up to 100 PDLs.
“The families of the PDL in the NBP can be assured that there is now a comfortable facility that can accommodate their PDL loved ones in case of confinement in relation to COVID-19,” BuCor said in a statement. AAC
MANILA, Philippines — The Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) reported on Tuesday (April 28) that two inmates at the Correctional Institute for Women (CIW) in Mandaluyong City have died from coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
The facility’s first inmate to test positive for COVID-19 died on Monday (April 27). The administration of the facility has already reached out to the relatives of the 72-year-old patient and has contacted the hospital for the proper disposition of the patient’s remains.
The patient was hospitalized on April 13 after experiencing symptoms of pneumonia.
Her admission to the hospital prompted the contact tracing of several persons deprived of liberty (PDLs) with whom she had contact days before she was confined.
Meanwhile, the BuCor also reported that the CIW inmate who was admitted at East Avenue Medical Center last April 13, expired on April 21 because of sepsis, systemic lupus and pneumonia. She was later confirmed positive for COVID-19. The test was conducted on April 14, but the result only came out on April 27.
To date, BuCor has 50 confirmed cases of PDLs positive for COVID-19, three of whom have succumbed to the disease.
All cases are found at the National Bilibid Prisons (NBP) and the CIW, the BuCor said, while the rest of the penal facilities in the country remain free of the deadly virus.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.