Duterte offers P2-M bounty for the capture of NPA commanders

Marje Pelayo   •   May 12, 2020   •   836

MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte has offered a P2-million bounty to anyone who can provide information on the whereabouts of leaders or commanders of the New People’s Army (NPA).

Aside from this, the President promised to protect the informant and also to provide him or her with a livelihood package. 

“Kung sino ang makakapagturo (To anyone who can report to us [their location]),” he said. 

Tapos doon sa Army o pulis, kapag ikaw ang nagturo at nahuli ang komander na mabigat, may hati ka diyan sa pera pero aalisin kita sa lugar mo. Kung taga-Abra ka, ihatid kita sa Mindanao. Bibigyan kita ng lupa at doon ka na lang,” he added.

(Then to a member of the Army or police, if you are the one who could capture a high-profile commander, you will have a share in the bounty but I will reassign you somewhere else. If you are in Abra, I will send you to Mindanao. I will give you a land and you can stay there.)

The President’s offer comes after the recent attacks by the NPA against government forces that were providing security in the distribution of aid in provinces affected by the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) crisis. MNP (with information from Rosalie Coz)

TAGS   ,

PNP seizes alleged NPA arms cache in Palawan

Robie de Guzman   •   January 12, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – Joint operations conducted by the Philippine National Police (PNP) and the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) yielded the recovery of an alleged New People’s Army (NPA) weapons cache in northern Palawan.

In a statement on Tuesday, PNP chief Police General Debold Sinas said troops from the PNP-Special Action Force’s (SAF) 101st Special Action Company, Police Regional Office 4B (PRO4B) and the military recovered high-powered firearms and war materials in the area of Sitio Lanka, Barangay Bintuan in Coron, Palawan around 4 a.m. on Saturday, January 9.

Among those seized were two M-16 assault rifles, four rifle grenades, magazine assemblies, a bandolier and 184 rounds of M-16 ammunition.

Sinas said the operation stemmed from actionable intelligence gathered by government troops regarding the whereabouts of the NPA’s cache of firearms and war materials in the said area.

“The continuous operations of our troops have resulted to the NPA’s weakened state. The latest confiscation of this cache of high-powered firearms further incapacitates their key operatives,” Sinas said.

The PNP chief  also commended the SAF in its successive efforts implementing the President Rodrigo Duterte’s Executive Order No. 70, which aims to end local communist armed conflict.

The rifles will be subjected to procedural ballistics examination to determine if these had been used in previous crime incidents, the PNP said.

Alleged NPA rebels killed in Rizal part of Joma Sison’s ‘death squad’, DILG says

Robie de Guzman   •   January 5, 2021

Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) founding chairman Jose Maria “Joma” Sison

MANILA, Philippines – The five suspected members of the New People’s Army (NPA) killed in a shootout in Baras, Rizal in December 2020 were part of the death squads allegedly deployed by Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) founder Jose Maria “Joma” Sison, Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Eduardo Año said on Tuesday.

Año said the slain group of rebels were deployed in Southern Luzon to assassinate top national and local government leaders, and police and military officers over “blood debts.”

“We can now confirm that the five NPA members killed in Barangay San Juan, Baras, Rizal were part of a death squad that was supposed to carry out the directive of Joma Sison to assassinate government and civilian leaders,” the DILG chief said in a statement.

“Isang tagumpay para sa atin na napigilan ang mga ganitong mga operasyon ng NPA lalo pa’t ito’y isang tuwirang pagbabanta sa buhay ng mga pinuno ng bansa at maging ng mga sibilyan,” he added.

The shootout allegedly occurred as government troops were about to serve a warrant of arrest against Antonio “Dads” Cule for frustrated murder charges issued by the Regional Trial Court branch 65 in Infanta, Quezon Province.

Cule was tagged as the finance officer of an NPA unit that collected revolutionary taxes in Southern Tagalog.

CPP Central Committee Information Officer Marcos Valduena earlier said that “there is a standing order for the NPA to form partisan teams to meet out punishment against enemy units and officers who have committed bloody crimes against the people.”

Año said Sison’s move to deploy communist death squads to urban areas “intends to bring the NPA’s reign of terror in the countryside to the cities. “The PNP and AFP will do its utmost to protect the people from these terrorists in sheep’s clothing. We will crush these urban terrorist cells before they can begin their reign of terror,” he said.

The DILG chief urged the Commission on Human Rights and even the so-called Makabayan Bloc to condemn the deployment of NPA death squads in urban areas to prove that they are truly not members or fronts of the Communist Party.

He said that assassinations perpetrated by the NPA Death Squads are clearly extra-judicial killing “which the CPP is now bringing to the urban areas after decades of perfecting armed terrorism in the mountains.”
Año said the supposed deployment of NPA partisan units is a “clear and convincing proof that the Anti-Terrorism Council did the right thing in designating CPP and NPA as ‘terrorist organizations.’”

“Ngayon ay hindi na nila maikakaila ang kanilang tunay na kulay at motibo. Sila ay mga terorista na kailanman ay hindi naghangad ng kapayapaan kundi ang maghasik ng kaguluhan, pumatay ng mga puwersa ng gobyerno, para pabagsakin ang gobyerno,” he said.

In the 1980s, the CPP-NPA first deployed its “sparrow units” in urban centers and murdered hundreds of policemen, military officers, and civilians in Metro Manila, Cebu, Davao, Iloilo, and other areas to speed up its protracted people’s war, sow chaos, and bring down the government, the DILG said.

Duterte calls on communist rebels anew to surrender to gov’t

Robie de Guzman   •   December 28, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte renewed his call on the members of the Communist Party of the Philippines, and its armed wing, New People’s Army, to lay down their weapons and return to the fold of the law.

During a meeting on Saturday with the members of the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-MEID), Duterte said the hierarchy of the CPP-NPA is “already bankrupt,” and that its leaders had “no more ideological setup in their minds.”

“Sinasabi ko lang hinto na kayo. Mag-surrender na kayo kasi walang ginawa ‘yang mga lider ninyo. It’s plain banditry,” he said.

“There is no more ideological setup in their minds. Ang kanila na lang magkilkil sa mga tao. You are not fighting anything anymore, not even a religion, if you may, wala,” he added.

Duterte said the communist rebels are no different from the terrorist organization Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) that sows terror through kidnappings and bombings.

He added that while the rebels collect millions through extortion from big businesses and corporations, their leaders, who amass huge sums of money, live lavish lifestyles and send their children to study overseas.

The president assured that the government will provide assistance, including housing, livelihood and skills training, to those who will surrender.

“Sumurender na kayo. Ako, ‘pag nag-surrender kayo, bahay. Mayroong mga condo na ginagawa ko sa probinsiya, ‘pag nag-surrender kayo sabi ko na sa sundalo — para kanila ‘yon eh — sabi ko, ‘Bata, pasensiya ka na, ibigay na lang natin dito para madali ang pacification campaign,’” he said.

Duterte also reiterated his promise to include communist rebels in the government’s mass vaccination campaign once the vaccine for COVID-19 becomes available in the country.

“The vaccine is available to every Filipino citizen including the Communist NPAs so that you can fight better and you are healthy, because I know that you will die,” he said.

“In the name of humanity, we will not deny kasi ano ‘yan eh. Pero just to make you healthy so that you will die,” he added.

The country’s vaccine czar Secretary Carlito Galvez Jr., in the same meeting, said the inoculation may begin in the country possibly in summer next year.

The Philippine government is currently negotiating with several pharmaceutical companies for the procurement of COVID-19 vaccines such as Pfizer Inc., Moderna, AstraZeneca, Johnson & Johnson, Novavax Inc, and China’s Sinovac, and Russia’s Gamaleya Institute.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.