Duterte to NPA: ‘Come down, spend the holidays with your loved ones’
by UNTV News | Posted on Thursday, December 22nd, 2016
A band of rebels are going down the mountain (Photo screengrab from YouTube video).
President Rodrigo Duterte has declared a holiday ceasefire with the New People’s Army (NPA) as he invites the leftist group to leave their arms and come down to the city to spend the holidays with their loved ones.
As declared by the President, the holiday ceasefire will take effect from December 23 to 27 and on December 31st to January 2 and 3.
The President vowed that there will be no arrests on the course of the ceasefire.
“I guarantee you na walang aresto, walang oppression, wala sa lahat. At kung magsalubong kayo ng sundalo ng Pilipinas, sundalo ko, magkamay lang kayo. At pag-ayaw mo, huwag mo na lang tingnan,” he said.
(I guarantee you there will be no arrests, no oppression, no everything. And when you meet a soldier of the Philippines, my soldier, just shake hands. Or if you don’t want to, just don’t look at him.)
However, the President clarified that the ceasefire does not cover criminals, kidnappers and terrorist groups who usually operate and take advantage of the holiday season to commit lawless acts.
He also urged the Moro people to join the truce.
“It’s not your festivity…it’s ours Christians, and we would like you to share the moment with us,” invited Duterte.
The President made the declaration at the celebration of the 81st Anniversary of the Armed Forces of the Philippines on Wednesday. — Bryan de Paz | UNTV News & Rescue
by UNTV News and Rescue | Posted on Tuesday, July 17th, 2018
MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte wants the passage of Disaster Agency Bill before the end of the year.
Under the proposal, the government will establish a new agency which will be called Department of Disaster Resiliency which will replace the current National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC).
The bill is currently being drafted although there are other proposals in disaster management that are still pending in Congress.
It can be recalled that in the previous State of the Nation Address (SONA) of the President, he recommended the creation of an Enhance Disaster Resiliency and Response Department. – Rosalie Coz / Marje Pelayo
MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte will submit to Congress on July 23 the proposed 2019 cash-based national budget to coincide with his third State of the Nation Address (SONA).
According to Presidential Spokesperson Secretary Harry Roque, the President approved the proposed budget during the 27th Cabinet meeting in Malacañang on Monday night (July 9).
The proposed budget for next year is 3.757 trillion pesos which is 10 billion pesos lower than last year’s budget.
Under cash-based appropriations, agencies will be forced to spend their respective budgets within the fiscal year or else would lose them.
In the past, the obligations-based budget allowed distributions within a two-year period.
Agencies will also no longer submit projects to the department of budget and management that are not yet implementation-ready.
The biggest proposed allocations are for personnel services, maintenance expenditures, capital outlays and allotments for local government units.
Meanwhile, there are no details yet if the proposal already includes the fund for the plebiscite on the shift to the federal government next year.
However, the government is confident that the Congress can allot supplemental budget for this, if necessary.
“What we expect, the referendum will coincide with the 2019 national elections so it will be included in the budget of 2019 national elections if it will really push through,” Roque said. — Rosalie Coz | UNTV News & Rescue
by UNTV News | Posted on Thursday, June 28th, 2018
Oath-taking of barangay officials in Tarlac
MANILA, Philippines —Several senators are backing President Rodrigo Duterte’s order to the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) to audit the performances of local officials in relation to the administration’s intensified campaign against crime and illegal drugs.
According to Senate local government committee chairman Sonny Angara, he is currently pushing for the passage of proposals seeking to empower local government units and increase their funds to effectively curb crime and proliferation of illegal drugs in barangays.
To date, there are 11 bills filed in the Senate looking to amend the LGU code and to include the value-added tax on imported goods collected by the Bureau of Customs (BOC) on the computation of internal revenue allotment (IRA).
This is aside from the measures seeking to increase the IRA to 50 percent from 40 percent share.
According to Senator Angara, appropriated LGU funds are measly to support other programs for their constituents, based on their consultations.
Available data show that 40 percent of 41,902 barangays received IRA of one million or less.
But Senator Antonio Trillanes IV nixed the move, saying this might only bring negative effects to the local communities.
He also slammed Duterte’s proposal to arm village officials and watchmen.
“Walang purpose nito but just to promote the culture of violence, culture of death, after arming them hihikayatin niya itong, barilin niyo yung mga suspetsa niyo na adik o criminal,” said Trillanes. — Nel Maribojoc | UNTV News & Rescue
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.