Duterte not attending the ASEAN – Australia Special Summit

admin   •   March 5, 2018   •   3484

FILE PHOTO: Pres. Rodrigo Duterte

MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte will not be attending the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) – Australia Special Summit in Sydney on March 17 to 18.

The chief executive will be represented by Foreign Affairs Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano in the said event.

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said the president will attend the graduation rites of the Philippine Military Academy (PMA) and will have a meeting with young military officers on the issue of terrorism.

It can be recalled that in the president’s previous public statements he had said he did not want to visit Australia. — UNTV News & Rescue

Heavy winds fan Australian bushfires, threatening homes

UNTV News   •   September 9, 2019

Strong winds fanned bushfires in two Australian states on Monday (September 9), with flames out of control in some areas ravaging thousands of hectares of land, fire services officials said.

Bushfires have started earlier than normal in the states of Queensland and New South Wales, in the southern hemisphere spring, prompting fire service warnings for the summer, which runs from December through February.

As of Monday, five properties had been confirmed destroyed, with five damaged in New South Wales (NSW), while more than 200 homes were saved from the flames, the NSW Rural Fire Service said.

The Bureau of Meteorology warned of damaging winds, with peak gusts of about 90 kilometers an hour (56 mph), along the east coast of New South Wales for Monday.

The wind was expected to ease on Tuesday (September 10). (REUTERS)

Australian bee whisperer extracts 50kg trove of honey hidden in ceiling

Robie de Guzman   •   August 21, 2019

A treasure trove of honeycombs in the form of a massive bee hive hidden in a ceiling| Courtesy: Paul Wood / Brisbane Backyard Bees

Australian beekeeper Paul Wood removed a treasure trove of honeycombs in the form of a massive bee hive hidden in a woman’s home in suburban Brisbane, Australia.

Wood removed the 50kg (110.2 pounds) of honeycomb, including the 60,000-bee population of the ten-month old hive on Saturday (August 17) at the behest of the house’s owner and transplanted them into what he refers to as a “free range hive” in his backyard.

“Now what happens in Brisbane and probably lots of places around the world, is that when bees swarm, every spring time – that’s their reproduction – and if they can’t find a natural hollow tree as a new home, they quite often go into the cavity walls of houses, or ceilings of houses,” said Wood, owner of Brisbane Backyard Bees.

“They build that beautiful comb – as soon as they move into those cavities, and as you can see, in ten months, they’ve built an awful lot of comb. They’ve also sucked into that cavity 50 kilos of honey and they bred up the numbers to about 50 to 60 thousand bees in that time,” he added.

His video of his removal of the massive hive and its succulent honeycombs from the structure’s ceiling went viral on social media.

Wood and his colleague gently vacuumed the bees into a special box for transportation and removed the honeycombs, straining the honey into jars.

Video obtained by Reuters showed Wood carefully dismantling the hive, piece by piece.

While the bees remain in a temporary hive in Wood’s backyard, he says they will eventually be sent to beekeeping enthusiasts in Brisbane. (Reuters)

(Production: Yi Shu Ng)

Woman dead, another injured as knife-wielding man goes on Sydney frenzy

Robie de Guzman   •   August 13, 2019

A man with “some ideologies in relation to terrorism” went on a stabbing attack in downtown Sydney on Tuesday (August 13), killing one woman and wounding another before he was restrained by members of the public, police said.

The incident brought mid-afternoon traffic in Australia’s biggest city to a standstill and sparked a police investigation into how the accused man, aged 21, went from living with his parents to what police said was a terrible crime.

A woman, 21, was found dead at an apartment building and a second woman, 41, was taken to hospital in a stable condition with a stab wound on her back.

Police did not say how the first woman died but said the man was responsible for both attacks, adding that the attack cannot be classed as a ‘terrorist incident’, a claim that could be re-assessed as the investigation pursues.

The man, who police did not name, was carrying a knife and a computer thumb drive containing information about deadly attacks in North America and New Zealand when he went on the frenzy as a “lone actor” about 2 pm Sydney time (0400 GMT), police said. (REUTERS)

(Production: Jill Gralow)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+63) 396-8688 (Tel)

(+63) 2 920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+63) 396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+63) 2 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.