Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

Duterte named 2016 ‘Person of the Year’ by Chinese magazine

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Wednesday, January 4th, 2017

President Rodrigo Duterte on the cover page of a Chinese Magazine, Yazhou Zhoukan.

President Rodrigo Duterte on the cover page of a Chinese Magazine, Yazhou Zhoukan.

 

President Rodrigo Duterte is once again featured by another foreign magazine.

The president is hailed as the 2016 ‘Person of the Year’ by the prestigious  Hong Kong international affairs newsweekly , Yazhou Zhoukan.

The magazine is American Time magazine’s counterpart in the Chinese-speaking countries.

The recognition is due to President Rodrigo Duterte’s independent foreign policy  that distances Philippines  from the United States and regaining good relations with China.

“The article also praises Duterte’s good governance and anti-corruption campaign as the reason for his popularity among Filipinos,” Presidential spokesperson Ernesto Abella said.

Pres. Duterte’s 6-page cover story was released on the January 1, 2017 edition of the magazine.

“Its circulation is in several major markets: Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, and Malaysia,” Abella said.

Last month, Duterte was included in the 2016 ranking of the Forbes’ most powerful people. — Rosalie Coz | UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

Duterte says PNP might handle the ‘war on drugs’ again

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Monday, November 20th, 2017

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte, in his speech during the launching of the Department of Agriculture’s partnership with Ayala Malls at the Abreeza Mall in Davao City on November 18, 2017, cites how farmers and fisherfolks could benefit from a government that is compassionate and free from corruption. SIMEON CELI JR./PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO

DAVAO CITY — President Rodrigo Duterte will speak with the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) to ask for updates of its operation against illegal drugs.

The President wants to know if the country’s problem with illegal drugs has gotten worse or not.

It can be recalled that President Duterte gave an order last October that PDEA will be the only government agency that will handle the drug war because of the numerous criticisms against the Philippine National Police (PNP) who initially handled the said problem.

But during his speech in Davao City last Saturday, he brought up the possibility of letting PNP handle the war on drugs again.

“The drug problem, if it becomes worse again, the police has to enter the picture. I want it eradicated if possible. I do not tolerate it. It’s an organized crime. Shabu is… drugs is an organized crime,” Duterte said.

He again responded to those who questioned why only the poor is the frequent victim of the government’s drug war.  According to the Chief Executive, the poor are victims of shabu.

“They are saying, ‘Why Duterte, there are a lot of poor people dying, no rich?’ There are no rich [ getting killed] because, those people, they do not use shabu because they know it would drive their mind to insanity forever. It’s a chemical,” he said. — Rosalie Coz | UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: , , ,

Duterte wants to proclaim NPA as terrorists

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Monday, November 20th, 2017

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte, in his speech during the closing ceremony of the 31st Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Summit and Related Summits at the Philippine International Convention Center on November 14, 2017. KING RODRIGUEZ/PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO

DAVAO CITY  —  President Rodrigo Duterte again lambasted the leftist groups especially the New People’s Army (NPA) because of their continued acts of violence, recently.

Including the involvement of a four-month-old infant in an NPA ambush in Bukidnon last November 9.

According to the chief executive, he wants to formalize or announce NPA’s category as a terrorist group and not a rebel group. He also wants to file cases against all group members involved in spreading violence like murder and arson.

“Before, we recognized them as legitimate rebels. But with their continued depredations and killing of innocent people, I’ll be issuing a proclamation. I will remove them from the category of a legal entity or at least a semi-movement which would merit our attention, placing them as, the same with America, — terrorist,” President Duterte said.

Since 2002, the United States has considered CPP-NPA as foreign terrorist organization.

President Duterte also blamed the rebel group for the price hike in common goods.

“Because NPA extorts. Even the farmers pay. It is an added cost to the price. All the businessmen here burned the — but it’s providing work for the countryside and yet they are destroying the very essence of the industry. That is the reason for the increase, they extort,” he added.

With regards to the peace talks, he also questioned the group: why would they talk to him if they consider him a fascist and an anomalous leader.

In the end, the Chief Executive warned that he will strengthen military offensives against the NPA and the groups supporting [these rebels] will also be held accountable.

“Now it’s a great conspiracy between Bayan even the—they are in conspiracy with the rebellion going on. We will study and maybe we will have a crackdown there somewhere. So all of those, pretending to be the — speaking for the people, those quasi-stuff you are talking about, you say it is legitimate and yet you are — I said continuing the depredations, putting industries down and making it hard for the people to make a living,” Duterte said.   —  Rosalie Coz | UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: ,

Duterte to base martial law extension on recommendation of military, police

by Joniel Monton   |   Posted on Monday, November 20th, 2017

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte talks to the troops of the Eastern Mindanao Command during the President’s visit at Camp Panacan Station Hospital in Davao City on November 18, 2017. RICHARD MADELO/PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO

MANILA, Philippines —  December 31, 2017 is the deadline of the martial law that was declared in Mindanao to eradicate security threats such as terrorism and insurgency.

President Rodrigo Duterte said, he will decide whether to extend or lift martial law in the whole Mindanao based on the recommendation he will receive from the military and police.

“Whatever the decision of the armed forces and the police since they are the ones also who would be totally engaged in if there is really if there’s an offing of trouble there, we should give credence to it actually,” he said.

It was initially said by the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) that they are hunting down in full force local networks of terrorists especially in areas of Maguindanao, Zamboanga, Basilan Sulu and Tawi-Tawi where there are Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters, Abu Sayyaf group and others.

According to a statement released by AFP spokesperson Major General Restituto Padilla Jr. they aim to weaken or fully eradicate terrorists until they can are no longer become threats to the country’s security.

Before the year ends, they will give an assessment if there is a need to lift of extending martial law in Mindanao to resolve the remaining security threat.

Meanwhile, President Duterte defended the military personnel accused of looting during the height of the crisis in Marawi City and other violations of human rights.

“How will they steal those? I was there.  And they were billeted in houses. And they were using the amenities of that house. The refrigerator. There was power. The electric fans are used. When they say borrowed, it’s only right. Those are very large things that you cannot hide in your pocket.  And I do not believe that soldiers will steal those.” the President said.  — Rosalie Coz | UNTV News and Rescue

Tags: , , , , ,