Duterte calls on Congress anew to reimpose death penalty
Robie de Guzman • July 23, 2019 • 1079
MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday (July 22) renewed his call for Congress to revive the imposition of the death penalty in the country.
In his fourth State of the Nation Address (SONA) on Monday afternoon, Duterte called on his allies to reinstate capital punishment against heinous crimes for crimes related to drugs and plunder.
“I respectfully request Congress to reinstate the death penalty for heinous crimes related to drugs as well as plunder,” he said.
“We have not risen above and beyond the parochial interest. Our loyalty to family, friends and tribal kin continue to exact a heavy toll on the programs designed to uplift the poor,” the president said, quoting Filipino writer F. Sionil Jose.
He also recalled the Marawi City siege, claiming that drug money killed many policemen and soldiers.
The chief executive has described illegal drugs as a social menace, and recognized that the government still has a long way to go in order to curb illegal drug use.
“That’s the reason why I advocate the imposition of the death penalty for crimes related to illegal drugs,” the president said.
Duterte likewise acknowledged that there is also a need to solve corruption, which he said allows illegal drugs to proliferate.
“The drugs will not be crushed unless we continue to eliminate corruption that allows the social monster to survive,” he said.
The proposed reimposition of the death penalty has faced strong opposition in the previous Congress.
With Duterte’s allies dominating the 18th Congress, the administration hopes to pass its supported bills with more ease.
President Duterte has been pushing for the reinstatement of capital punishment in the Philippines as he wages war against crime and illegal drugs.
Malacañang has announced that President Rodrigo Duterte is experiencing sickness due to old age and is now in the “green of health”, not pink.
On Sunday, Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said the president, who is now 74 years old, is “not normal” when it comes to his health.
“Hindi siya normal kasi nga, ang dami niyang nararamdaman. Kumbaga, kung sinabi ko noon na (He is not normal because he has a lot of illnesses. It’s like, if I said then) he was ‘in the pink of health’, ngayon (now) I think he is now ‘in the green of health’,” he said.
However, Panelo said despite these illnesses, Duterte continues to do his duties as the chief executive.
“If you will notice, kahit na ganyan siya, may nararamdaman, iyong kaniyang schedule ganoon pa rin, hindi pa rin nagbago (Even if he is experiencing illnesses [due to old age]his schedule remain unchanged), not only does he survive but he does it well,” he said.—AAC (with reports from Rosalie Coz)
MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte doesn’t want to heed his doctor’s advice to take a rest, Senator Christopher Lawrence “Bong” Go said Wednesday.
Go, a former top aide of Duterte, said the president prefers to continue working and performing his official duties while he is staying in his hometown in Davao City.
“Sa totoo lang, ayaw magpahinga ng Pangulo, kahit sabihin mong he was advised by the doctor to rest,” he told reporters in Malacañang.
“Hindi po siya makatagal sa bahay at talagang gusto niyang magtrabaho at gumala,” he added.
Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo on Monday said the chief executive would go on a three-day break but later said he would just work from home in Davao City.
The Palace previously said the president’s doctor had advised him to limit his physical activity after he complained of “unbearable” pain in his spine following a minor motorcycle accident within the Malacañang complex on Oct. 16.
Duterte was in Japan to attend Emperor Naruhito’s enthronement ceremony when he complained of spinal ache and had to cut his trip short. After consultation with his doctor, Panelo said the president experienced a muscle spasm.
Go assured that Duterte is in good shape, adding that the chief executive is set to visit North Cotabato on Friday. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Rosalie Coz)
President Rodrigo Duterte will attend the Association of Southeast Asian Nations-Republic of Korea (ASEAN-ROK) Commemorative Summit in South Korea from November 25 to 27.
Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo confirmed on Sunday (November 10) that the president will be attending the summit in celebration of the 30th anniversary of the dialogue partnership between the regional bloc and South Korea.
“He will push through with the trip,” Panelo said.
President Duterte and South Korean President Moon Jae-In are also expected to have a bilateral meeting to discuss trade and security issues.
The Philippines and South Korea have recently celebrated its 70th bilateral relations.—AAC (with reports from Rosalie Coz)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.