Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

Duterte: Bato not criminally liable for free Pacquiao trip

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Tuesday, November 15th, 2016

Philippine National Police Chief PDG. Ronald 'Bato' dela Rosa

Philippine National Police Chief PDG. Ronald ‘Bato’ dela Rosa

 

The new WBO Welterweight Champion, Senator Manny Pacquiao, paid a courtesy call on President Rodrigo Duterte at the Malacañang Palace on Monday after a successful fight against American boxer Jessie Vargas in Las Vegas on November 6.

The president congratulated the “pambansang kamao” who gave honor to the country once again.

Pacquiao gave a black and gold shirt to Duterte who in turn commended the boxer for defending PNP Chief Director General Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa regarding the free boxing tickets and all-expense paid trip to Las Vegas that he received from the people’s champ.

“You were right in defending Bato. What you donated [was] your skill. It is a donation…And you can afford to pay the expenses, it is commensurate with your wealth. There is no criminal liability,” Duterte told Pacquiao.  — UNTV News and Rescue

Tags: , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

Boxing fever grips Thailand’s boys but doctors raise health concerns

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Tuesday, February 13th, 2018

Nanthawat Pomsod, 11, who is a child boxer, fights Kritthonglek Sitkritthongkam during a boxing match at a temple in Buriram province, Thailand, February 2, 2018. REUTERS/Prapan Chankeaw

BURIRAM, Thailand (Reuters) – Loud cheers erupt as two boys trade punches at a boxing ring in Thailand’s northeastern province of Buriram.

After dominating five rounds, the winner is declared; 11-year-old Nanthawat Promsod, who is better known by his boxing name – “Super Big Saksandee”.

He earned 3,000 baht ($94.34) for winning the fight, and earns 1,500 baht ($47.17) for each match-up that he takes part in.

He is one of at least 10 boxers aged 15 or less in the district of Satuk, where nearly every village has a boxing camp.

“Muay Thai”, or Thai boxing, is said to be 2,000 years old. Known as “The Art of Eight Limbs”, it makes extensive use of elbows, hands, knees and feet.

Thailand’s national sport is increasingly popular overseas too but in this Southeast Asian country it can provide a way out of poverty, as those who climb to the top of the sport can earn a lot of money.

The country’s rural northeast is home to most star boxers who have gone on to win international recognition, such as welterweight Buakaw Banchamek, a two-time K-1 World MAX champion.

Hailing from Surin province, Buakaw, 35, started fighting when he was eight years old, and won his first international kickboxing tournament in 2004 in Tokyo.

Nanthawat wants to follow in his footsteps.

“I want to become a champion,” said Nanthawat, who has had 40 fights over a two-year career and in recent months has won more than 10 consecutive fights. “I will be proud if I win at least one championship belt.”

But as more Thai children, even some preschoolers, flock to Muay Thai, physicians and children’s rights bodies warn the sport could cause chronic health problems, such as neurological disorders.

Jiraporn Laothamatas, a neuroradiologist and director of Thailand’s Advanced Diagnostic Imaging Center (AIMC), said a five-year study she conducted showed patterns of brain damage and memory loss in young fighters, compared to non-boxing peers.

“There’s no safe boxing, because you can see that when even adult boxers get old, they also get Parkinson’s disease because of the brain damage caused,” Jiraporn said.

More than 10,000 Muay Thai fighters are younger than 15, the Sports Authority of Thailand (SAT) said last year. But experts say that figure could be 20 times higher because not all child boxers are registered.

Still, some parents and trainers argue that Muay Thai teaches children discipline and is a valuable source of income.

“The money Nanthawat earns from boxing, we save for him,” said his father and trainer, Ong-arj Promsod, 36. “Whenever we are short of money, I give him that money as daily allowance for school.”

Reporting by Prapan Chankaew; Writing by Patpicha Tanakasempipat; Editing by Amy Sawitta Lefevre and Clarence Fernandez and Neil Fullick

Tags: , ,

Extension of PNP chief’s tour of service, due to problems in illegal drugs, terrorism

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Friday, December 15th, 2017

PNP Chief Ronald Dela Rosa

QUEZON CITY, Philippines — Problems with drugs, terrorism, and insurgency are among the reasons why President Rodrigo Duterte extended the term of Philippine National Police (PNP) chief, General Ronald “Bato” Dela Rosa to another three months. This was according to the PNP chief himself.

“Kulang pa siguro per the standard of the President. Meron pa siyang something na i-accomplish natin bago tayo mag-step down (Maybe it’s not enough as per the standard of the President. He still has something in mind that I still have to accomplish before I step down),” said Dela Rosa.

Despite this, the PNP chief said he cannot assure that he can address the said problems within three months.

“I don’t know kung kakayanin sa three months. Baka another three months na naman. Then another three months, then another three months. Hindi ko pa alam. Hindi ko pwedeng pangunahan ang Presidente,” he said.

(I don’t know if I can do it within three months, I might need another three months. Then another three months, then another three months. I don’t know yet. I don’t want to get ahead of the President.)

The PNP chief also assured that drug lords can no longer operate once his appointment as the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) chief pushes through.

“I will see to it na hindi na ninyo maipagpatuloy ang drug trafficking diyan sa loob ng BuCor dahil yun naman talaga. Ano pa ang rason bakit ilalagay ako ni Presidente dyan kundi para tapusin yung maliligayang araw sa pagbebenta ng drugs,” he said.

(I will see to it that you will not be able to continue your drug trafficking activities in the BuCor. That’s the reason why the President wants me there. He wants me to finish your illegal acts, the selling of illegal drugs.) — LEA YLAGAN | UNTV News

Tags: , , , , ,

President Duterte hints on a new chief of the Philippine National Police

by UNTV   |   Posted on Wednesday, December 6th, 2017

IMAGE_UNTV_NEWS_120617_Bato Dela Rosa

MANILA, Philippines — Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Director General Ronald dela Rosa is set to retire on 21st of January in 2018 when he reaches the mandatory age of retirement of 56 years old.

During a command conference at Malacañang on Tuesday, President Rodrigo Duterte named PNP Deputy Chief for Administration General Ramon Apolinario as the second highest police official who will replace PNP chief Ronald Bato dela Rosa.

However, PNP Public Information Office chief PCSupt. Dionardo Carlos clarified such an announcement is just an impromptu introduction at an event in Cebu where the guest of honor was PDDG. Ramon Apolinario.

“Normally who replaces number one? Let us not make a big issue out of it. It was an impromptu introduction spiel during the program,” said Carlos.

All police star generals are candidates in the position for the highest post in the police institution as long as they are serving in the PNP for at least one year.

If the PNP hierarchy will be followed, Apolinario is next in line to replace General dela Rosa except when the president wants to designate another police official.

In a text message, Gen. Apolinario said that the announcement is not officials and that he would focus first on his duty.

“Hindi pa naman official ‘yun (It’s not official yet). We are waiting for the official announcement so no comment muna ako (yet). Ako’y magfo-focus  pa rin sa trabaho ko (I will continue to focus on my job) as Deputy Chief for administration ni (of) Police Chief Director General ‘Bato’ dela Rosa. Kasi marami rin akong mga committees tsaka conferences na-aattendnan (I have many committees and conferences to attend to),” he said. — Lea Ylagan | UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: , , , ,