Duterte assures safety of Korean businessmen in PH
admin • June 5, 2018 • 3018
President Rodrigo Duterte during his first official visit to South Korea (photo courtesy of RTVM)
SEOUL, South Korea — President Rodrigo Duterte on Tuesday, June 5, assured that South Korean businessmen will be safe while they are in the Philippines.
He gave the assurance as the South Korean government extended a $6.6 million grant to enhance the capabilities of the Philippine National Police (PNP), which include vehicles and personnel training.
Duterte also admitted that the Philippines is facing numerous law and order problems and asked that he be given until the end of the year to reorganize the PNP.
The president added that he will appoint a representative who will process the documents of South Korean investors so they can avoid corruption.
Duterte also told them that he has fired several government officials linked to corruption. He urged South Korean businessmen to shun corruption by reporting Filipino government officials who ask for money. — Grace Casin | UNTV News & Rescue
MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte has named former House Speaker Feliciano “Sonny” Belmonte as Special Envoy to Japan.
Based on a document from Malacañang released on Wednesday, Belmonte was appointed as special envoy to Japan for trade and market access.
Belmonte was appointed by Duterte on Oct. 15, Tuesday.
He served as Representative of the 4th District of Quezon City for three terms, and was elected as House speaker of the 15th and 16th Congress during the time of former presidents Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo and Benigno Aquino III, respectively.
Belmonte was Liberal Party’s former vice chairman before he resigned in September last year. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Rosalie Coz)
MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte on Sunday stressed the importance of following the due process in the ‘ninja cops’ issue, which allegedly involves several policemen, including the chief of the Philippine National Police (PNP), General Oscar Albayalde.
Duterte made the statement amid calls for Albayalde to resign over his purported link to illegal drugs.
“Eh kung mga ‘yung criminal binibigyan mo ng (Even criminals are given) presumption of innocence. You know, Albayalde is the PNP chief. Give me a clear proof that he was there on the take or was in the trafficking of drugs. Just because he was the… Tapos may tinawagan siya (he called someone),” he said after his arrival from Russia.
“I could not just do it in a knee jerk. I have to follow procedural due process and allow him time to answer,” he added. “The right to be heard – it’s given to criminals, to kidnappers. It should be given to a general of the Philippine National Police.”
When asked if he still trusts Albayalde, Duterte replied with: “Well, he is still there. Otherwise, I would have you know just — I would have told him to just go out.”
The issue on ‘ninja cops’ was revived when Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) chief Aaron Aquino bared during a 2020 budget hearing about the continued activities of ‘ninja cops’ and their link to so-called Manila ‘drug queen,’ later identified as former village chief Guia Gomez Castro.
Albayalde’s name was dragged into the issue after former Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) chief and now Baguio City mayor Benjamin Magalong mentioned a controversial 2013 anti-drug operation carried out by cops under Albayalde who was then the head of Pampanga police provincial office.
Albayalde was relieved from his post in 2014 for command responsibility while the involved operatives were charged and ordered dismissed.
The dismissal order, however, was not implemented as the police officers were only demoted in 2017.
The PNP chief has repeatedly denied the allegation. He insisted during a Senate hearing that he only called then Central Luzon Regional police director Aquino in 2016 to ask about the status of his former men’s case.
MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte has assured teachers that their awaited pay increase will be given this year.
Duterte made the promise when he arrived in Davao City on Sunday from his five-day visit to Russia.
However, he clarified that the pay hike will not be doubled and may only be about 35 percent.
“It’s coming, their increases. But not doubled. Mas marami ang teachers (There are a lot more teachers). Pero nandiyan po, dadating yan this year (But it is there, it’s coming this year),” he said.
“I think it’s about — the last time they were discussing was about 35 (percent) but it could be more. I do not know,” he added.
When asked when the salary increase for teachers will be implemented, Duterte replied with: “You know government is such a very complex animal. And you cannot just… If I give you the timeline tapos I could not make it on the deadline, I have to explain more than what is expected of government.”
“Mas mabuti na lang ‘yan kung nandiyan na, sinasabi ko nandiyan na ‘yan. Basta sinabi ko may increase din sila, (It is better to say it is forthcoming. I said they would get increase)” he added.
The clamor for teachers’ pay increase came after the Duterte government hiked the salaries for soldiers, police officers and other uniformed personnel last year.
Teachers’ groups have been asking the government for salary increase, ranging from P10,000 to P30,000, saying their present pay is no longer enough to sustain their needs. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Janice Ingente)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.