Duterte appoints CA magistrate as new SC justice

Maris Federez   •   May 28, 2019   •   2031

Court of Appeals Associate Justice Henri Jean Paul Inting has been appointed to the Supreme Court on May 27, 2019. | Courtesy: Supreme Court of the Philippines

President Rodrigo Duterte has appointed Court of Appeals Associate Justice Henri Jean Paul B. Inting to the Supreme Court.

This was confirmed by Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra on Monday (May 27).

Inting will replace Justice Lucas Bersamin who was appointed Chief Justice in November 2018.

He bested 12 others in the shortlist submitted by the Judicial and Bar Council back in February.

Inting is a graduate of Ateneo de Davao University.

He took his oath as CA justice back in 2012, and also served as a judge of the Quezon City Regional Trial Court prior to his appellate court position.

Inting is President Rodrigo Duterte’s 11th appointee to the high court. /mbmf

Supreme Court suspends work at all courts Monday afternoon for Family Week

Robie de Guzman   •   September 28, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – The Supreme Court (SC) on Monday announced that work at all courts nationwide will be suspended at 3:30 p.m. on Monday in line with the observance of Family Week.

“Chief Justice Peralta leads the Judiciary in celebrating Family Week pursuant to Proclamation No. 60 (s.1992),” the SC Public Information Office (PIO) said in an advisory posted on its Twitter account.

“Work in all courts nationwide today shall only be until 3:30PM, to encourage court employees to spend more time with their families,” it added.

Under Presidential Proclamation No. 60 (s. of 1992), the last week of September of every year is declared as Family Week.

Malacañang earlier announced that work in government agencies under the executive branch will also be shortened on Monday afternoon to allow workers to celebrate Kainang Pamilya Mahalaga Day.

The Palace also encouraged other branches of the government, independent commissions and the private sector to do the same.

However, agencies whose functions involve the delivery of basic and health and services, preparedness/response to disasters and calamities, and/or the performance of other vital services are exempted from the work suspension.

SC ‘considering’ online bar exams, CJ Peralta says

Marje Pelayo   •   September 25, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — The Supreme Court (SC) is considering holding the next bar examinations virtually.

At Thursday’s Senate hearing on the Judiciary’s proposed 2021 budget, Senator Francis Tolentino cited that there are several states in the United States that are gearing towards online bar examinations.

According to Chief Justice Diosdado Peralta, they are looking into the said move.

The SC has decided to postpone the 2020 bar examinations due to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.

It is expected to be held in November this year in conjunction with the 2021 bar examinations.

Next year’s bar exams will be held simultaneously at three sites located in Manila, Visayas, and Mindanao.

Associate justice and 2020 bar examination chairman Marvic Leonen confirmed that the team of the bar chair has been studying the possibility of conducting online but proctored bar exams or a mix of online and written exams in more than two places as part of bar reform.

“Definitely, the bar examinations will not be conducted as it was before,” he said.

“We have to embrace a better normal that is safe, effective and equitable taking advantage of the best digital formats while at the same time acknowledging issues of security and accessibility for some bar applicants,” he added.
 
Leonen said he has already “provided general briefings to the Court en banc but have not yet made a firm proposal until we have worked out all the logistical and security issues.”
 
“I am also in constant consultation with members of the Court and the bar chairs that will succeed me in 2022, 2023 and 2024,” he added.
 
 Leonen said that in the coming months, pilot tests will be done to see the viability of various proposals for the conduct of future bar exams. 

Duterte to announce final decision on reduced physical distancing in public transport

Aileen Cerrudo   •   September 16, 2020

President Rodrigo Duterte will make his final decision on Thursday (September 17) regarding the reduction of physical distancing in public transportation.

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said doctors have opposing opinions on the matter and added that last meeting of the Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF) Against COVID-19 even took six hours discussing the issue.

“Ang mga doctor iba-iba rin po ang mga pananaw. Wala pong isang opinyon pagdating dito sa pagbawas ng isang dangkal lang naman na social distancing sa pampublikong mga transportation (Our doctors have varying opinions. There is no unified opinion when it comes to social distancing in public transportation),” he said on Wednesday (September 16) during a press briefing.

Roque also said the IATF based their recommendation to reduce physical distancing on research and advice from doctors.

“Ang rekomendasyon po ay isusumite kay Preisdente. Si Presidente na po ang magde-decide (The recommendation has been submitted to the President and he will be the one to decide), Roque said. AAC (with reports from Rosalie Coz)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.