DSWD warns public against fake text messages on relief funds for senior citizens

Aileen Cerrudo   •   February 4, 2021   •   1765

MANILA, Philippines—The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) is warning the public against fake text messages about alleged social welfare relief funds for senior citizens.

The DSWD reiterated that the social welfare relief funds or assistance for senior citizens stated in the circulating text messages does not exist in the department.

The department also appealed to the public to avoid engaging in such activities  as well as sharing their personal details.

For official information on DSWD activities, interested parties may visit the department’s official websites and social media pages. AAC

Malakanyang, nanawagang tigilan ang pagpapakalat ng fake news ukol sa martial law

Robie de Guzman   •   January 7, 2022

MANILA, Philippines – Nanawagan ang Malakanyang na tigilan na ang pagpapakalat ng fake news sa gitna ng pandemya.

Kasunod ito ng pagkalat sa social media ng isang audio recording hinggil sa umano’y planong pagdedeklara ng martial law o kaya ay total lockdown ni Pangulong Rodrigo Duterte upang masugpo ang muli na namang pagtaas ng kaso ng COVID-19 sa bansa.

Ayon kay acting Presidential Spokesperson at Cabinet Secretary Karlo Nograles, nagdudulot lamang ito ng balisa at pangamba sa mga tao na hindi aniya nakakatulong sa gitna ng sitwasyon.

“Sa mga walang magawa na gumagawa at nagpapakalat nito, tigilan nyo na po ito please hindi ito biro, we are dealing with the real threat that understandably concerns our people,” ani Nograles.

Sa audio recording na unang kumalat sa social media noong Lunes, sinasabing wala na raw papayagang lumabas kapag nagdeklara ng total lockdown kaya dapat ay mag-stock ng pagkaing sasapat sa loob ng isang buwan.

Ayon sa Palasyo, fake news ito at pinayuhan ang publiko na kumuha ng tamang impormasyon mula sa mga mapagkakatiwalaang sources gaya ang opisyal na anunsyo mula sa pamahalaan.

“Fake news po ito. Huwag po tayong magpapaniwala sa ganitong uri ng balita, please get your news and information from credible sources only, kaya naman po binabalita agad natin ang mga bagong hakbang laban sa COVID para alam kaagad ito ng taumbayan,” ani Nograles.

Una nang itinanggi ni Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana ang kumalat na impormasyon hinggil sa martial law.

Giit ng opisyal, walang mabigat na dahilan para gawin ito sa ngayon ng pamahalaan sa kabila ng muling paglobo ng COVID-19 cases sa bansa.

Defense chief on martial law rumors amid rising COVID-19 cases: Fake news

Robie de Guzman   •   January 7, 2022

MANILA, Philippines – Department of National Defense (DND) chief Delfin Lorenzana has denied rumors circulating on social media that the government will declare martial law or a total lockdown to address the rapidly growing new COVID-19 cases.

In a statement, Lorenzana said there is no compelling reason for President Rodrigo Duterte to declare martial law.

“Not true. Fake news. Definitely out of the picture. There is no compelling reason to declare martial law,” he said.

Rumors that Duterte will impose a total lockdown, barring everyone from going out of their homes to address the coronavirus surge have circulated on social media at the start of the week.

This week, the Philippines saw a rapid increase in the number of new infections, with 17,220 additional cases recorded on Thursday.

The sharp increase in the country’s COVID cases is believed to be caused by the local transmission of Omicron and Delta variants.

But Lorenzana pointed out that the latest tally is lower than the over 26,000 recorded in 2021.

He added that while highly transmissible, the Omicron variant is seen to be less aggressive than the Delta variant.

“The highest we had was 26,000+ last year. Today we have 17,220. This variant while more transmissible is less virulent than delta. Less people get seriously sick,” he said.

Due to rising cases, Metro Manila, Rizal, Cavite, Laguna, and 14 other areas in the country have been placed under COVID-19 Alert Level 3.

President Rodrigo Duterte have also directed local officials to restrict the movement of unvaccinated persons in a bid to protect them from contracting the virus.

Lorenzana, who also chairs the National Task Force against COVID-19, said the Inter-Agency Task Force is still evaluating on the possibility of implementing stricter measures to combat the COVID-19 surge. (with details from Correspondent Lea Ylagan)

Duterte pledges Php5,000 per family affected by Typhoon Odette

Maris Federez   •   December 28, 2021

MANILA. Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte vowed to give Php5,000 to each family that was affected by Typhoon Odette.

The President assured that the government has enough funds set for the said financial assistance.

“May pera naman. I am giving P5,000 per family. Itong pera na nakuha ko, which I have gathered, will be sufficient for the assistance of P5,000 for everybody,” Duterte said.

Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Eduardo Año said the joint circular on the releasing of cash assistance to typhoon-hit areas has already been issued.

Año said Php4 billion will be needed for the cash assistance.

Duterte also directed the Department of Social Welfare and Development to procure tarpaulins to be used in making temporary shelters for those who lost their homes.

“Yung mga taong natutulog sa labas, emergency, so bili ka ng trapal appropropriate size good for 6 people,” Duterte said.

Meanwhile, the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) said it will be needing close to Php150 million to give assistance to small businesses that were also affected by the typhoon.

“Ang estimate po namin magiging 2,000 ang beneficiary per probinsiya. Kung 2,000 ‘yan at bawat isa ang programa natin ay P8,000 to P10,000 kada micro entrepreneur para mabigyan ng pangkabuhayan package,” said Sec. Ramon Lopez.

He said that each province hit by Odette will be allotted Php20 million.

To date, the department has already allotted Php8.2 million to be released as assistance to business owners in Siargao.

This is apart from the livelihood aid for 1,000 beneficiaries in Regions 6, 7, 8, and Caraga.

President Duterte said he plans to return to the areas affected by Odette to personally witness the recovery efforts that the government is conducting so far. —/mbmf (from the report of UNTV Correspondent Nel Maribojoc)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.