DSWD: Families of barangay health workers, daycare workers, tanods eligible for SAP
Aileen Cerrudo • April 24, 2020 • 2023
Families of barangay health workers, daycare workers, tanods may now qualify for the government’s Social Amelioration Program (SAP), according to the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD).
In a statement, the DSWD said it has adopted the recommendation of the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) to include eligible families of barangay health workers, daycare workers, and tanods as target beneficiaries.
“DSWD has already directed SAP implementers nationwide to include the eligible families of the barangay workers as target beneficiaries of the cash subsidy, subject to assessment and in accordance with the guidelines of the program,” their statement reads.
According to the department, barangay workers are generally excluded from the emergency subsidy under the Bayanihan Fund: Tulong Laban sa COVID-19 SAP. However, based on their consultation with the DILG, barangay workers can be defined as those who earn a wage below the prescribed minimum and are the sole income-earner of their family.
“As such, they may be considered to receive the assistance and are now excluded from government workers who are ineligible for SAP,” the DSWD said.
Meanwhile, the DSWD continues to provide cash subsidies under the “Bayanihan to Heal as One Act” which amounts to P5,000 to P8,000. AAC
The solidarity trial of the World Health Organization (WHO) for potential vaccines against the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in the Philippines and other countries will begin in December.
Department of Health (DOH) Spokesperson Usec. Maria Rosario Vergeire said 150 to 200 will participate in the trial in 12 sites in the country.
“Sa November kasi parang maguumpisa sa isang site and mag-follow na po iyong iba’t ibang clinical trials in the other countries including the Philippines by December of 2020 (The trial will begin in November in one site and it will be followed by other clinical trials in other countries including the Philippines by December of 2020),“ she said.
The Health Department also announced Interferon will no longer be a part of WHO’s solidarity trial. Vergeire reported the said drug did not reduce the mortality rate of COVID-19 patients.
“Iyong gamot hindi na-reach objective (The medicine did not reachits objective),” she said.
The WHO has previously discontinued the use of hydroxychloroquine and lopinavir/ritonavir treatment after seeing no signs of effectiveness in treating COVID-19 patients.
Meanwhile, the WHO added two drugs for the therapeutics solidarity trial, which include Acalabrutinib that is used for the chemotherapeutic regimen of patients. AAC (with reports from Aiko Miguel)
MANILA, Philippines – The management of the One-Stop-Shop at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) has denied allegations that it is forcing overseas Filipino workers (OFW) to take coronavirus swab testing in private testing centers to earn extra.
In a statement, the NAIA One-Stop-Shop maintained that it is not collecting any fee from any OFW for the swab test since the procedure is being shouldered by the government.
“Ito ay bilang pagbibigay-linaw sa mga alegasyon na kumakalat ngayon sa mga social media sites na pinipilit umano ang mga overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) na tangkilikin o gumamit ng pribadong RT-PCR test providers sa NAIA, upang magbayad ng mas mahal,” the statement read.
[This is to clarify against allegations circulating on social media sites that overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) are being forced to take private RT-PCR test providers in NAIA and pay a higher price.]
“Hindi po ito totoo [This is not true],” it read further.
The Shop management explained that they only allow two private testing laboratories for non-OFWs. First is Detoxicare which is a partner of Philippine Airlines (PAL) and the PH Airport Diagnostic Laboratory that is in partnership with the Philippine Airport Ground Support Solutions Inc. (PAGSS).
The said laboratories have been operating in NAIA since July 27 in accordance with an agreement signed with the Task Group on the Management of Returning OFWs.
Under the agreement, the two laboratories may charge P4,000 for an RT-PCR test which results can be released within 48 hours.
But the agreement also states that in the event of emergency cases like death of a family member or emergency medical condition that requires immediate release of results, an OFW may choose to request to speed up the process but with additional fee and a clearance from the Overseas Worker Welfare Administration (OWWA).
For his part, Philippine Red Cross (PRC) Chairman Senator Richard Gordon insists that the government should investigate the alleged irregularities in swab testing at NAIA.
He alleged that the private laboratories in NAIA are charging P12,000 to P20,000 for each swab test.
“Nakikita ninyo ang inconvenience na ginagawa nitong raket na ito. Hindi makauwi kaagad. Maghihintay sa hotel, gastos. Tapos meron silang [Now you see the inconvenience causing this scheme. (OFWs) cannot go home yet so they have to stay in hotels, they spend money there. This is a] ladderized type of charging. You’re taking advantage of the misery of other people,” Gordon said.
Meanwhile, the national government is coordinating with other testing laboratories that offer lower prices of swab tests which Malacanang eyes to service swab testing in airports and seaports.
“Kakausapin po namin ngayon ang mga mas mababang sinisingil, [We will coordinate with the (laboratories) charging lower amount,]” said Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque.
“Baka dapat sila ang manguna sa aiport at sa pantalan na mas mababa nga ang pwedeng bayaran ng ating mga kababayan. Mga P1,750 hanggang P2,000 lang po ang sinisingil ng mga testing labs na ito [They can be the ones to front in airports and seaports and offer lower service fee to our kababayans. These laboratories charge only P1,750 or P2,000 per test],” he added.
These testing laboratories include the National Kidney Transplant Institute (NKTI), the Philippine Children’s Hospital, the Lung Center of the Philippines and Perpetual Help Hospital. MNP (with reports from Joan Nano)
MANILA, Philippines – A total of 2,736 Chinese nationals have been ordered to leave the country for violating the conditions of their visa, the Bureau of Immigration (BI) said Tuesday.
Immigration Commissioner Jaime Morente said that from January to October, Chinese nationals who were granted visas upon arrival (VUA) but failed to leave on their departure date were given orders to leave.
Under the VUA system, visa grantees are not allowed to extend their stay beyond 30 days.
“More than half of those who were ordered to leave were blacklisted from the country,” Morente said in a statement.
“While some were unable to leave due to circumstance, following the cancellation of many flights due to the pandemic, those who stayed without sufficient basis were included in our blacklist,” he added.
The VUA program, a joint project of the tourism and justice departments, was launched in 2017 to attract Chinese tourists and tour groups to travel and stay in the Philippines without the need to apply for visas at Philippine consulates in their places of origin.
Travelers may apply for a VUA through tour operators accredited by the Department of Tourism.
“VUA arrivals account for only around 5% of total Chinese arrivals in the country,” Morente said.
“Most of those who arrived already secured their entry visas from our foreign posts abroad,” he added.
The implementation of the VUA was suspended in January due to the coronavirus disease pandemic.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.