Drilon, Robredo camp hit Cayetano’s ‘all talk’ remarks
Robie de Guzman • November 12, 2019 • 362
MANILA, Philippines – Senate Minority Leader Franklin Drilon hit House Speaker Alan Peter Cayetano for his “totally uncalled for” remarks against Vice President Leni Robredo.
“I am saddened by his statement. Such comments are totally uncalled for, especially coming from the Speaker of the House,” Drilon said in a statement.
Cayetano earlier said that Robredo is “all talk” since her appointment as the co-chairperson of the inter-agency committee on anti-illegal drugs (ICAD).
President Rodrigo Duterte last week designated Robredo to co-lead the government’s body against illegal drugs.
Since then, she has been meeting with several groups to float her ideas to address the country’s drug problem, such as scrapping the “Oplan Tokhang” and implementing a health-based anti-drug campaign.
Instead of criticizing Robredo, Drilon said everyone should support the government’s war on drugs and set aside politics.
“It cannot be denied that illegal drug continues to be a problem, notwithstanding the over 5,000 deaths from Operation Tokhang,” he said.
“The gravity of this issue on illegal drugs calls for everyone to set aside politics. In the remaining two and a half years of the administration, we should all work together to solve this problem,” he added.
The senator also noted that even Malacañang has vowed full support for Robredo as she undertakes this task.
“We expect the allies of this administration to do no less,” he added.
Meanwhile, Robredo’s spokesperson and legal counsel, Barry Gutierrez, said the vice president has only begun doing her new task and told Cayetano to stop criticizing if he can’t help her do her job.
Gutierrez also said the entire government should unite to eradicate illegal drugs in the country.
The Philippine National Police (PNP) reiterated that the government’s war on drugs is a success, contrary to the figures reported by Vice President Leni Robredo.
PNP Officer-in-Charge Archie Gamboa said the campaign against illegal drugs was one hundred percent successful; this was after Robredo called the drug war unsuccessful during her report on Monday (January 6).
“Whether her numbers are merely an estimate or the exact value, in any case, the figure derived is totally wrong,” Gamboa said.
Gamboa also said that since 2016, they already destroyed 14 clandestine drug laboratories and 419 drugs dens.
The PNP had also confiscated around P40.39 billion worth of illegal drugs. These include 5.1 tons of shabu, 2.3 tons of marijuana, 500 kilos of cocaine, and over 42,000 pieces of the party drug, ecstasy.
Authorities have also arrested 220,728 individuals in 2016, with 8,185 high value targets.
Gamboa also reported that 5,552 drug personalities and 55 policemen were killed during illegal drug operations. Meanwhile, a total of 16,706 barangays are drug-free.
Gamboa said Robredo’s appreciation of statistics in her report was not mathematically acceptable. He also said that her 18 days as the co-chairman in the Inter-agency Committee on Anti-Illegal Drugs (ICAD) was not enough for her to provide estimates of the totality of the illegal drug campaign.
“Ang ginawa niya kin-quote niya iyong PDEG (What she did was, she quoted the PDEG) [Philippine National Police Drug Enforcement Group] that there are three tons of consumption per week for the drug problem of the Philippines and then in-equate niya ito sa drug recovered (then she equated it with the drugs recovered),” he said.
“Iyong appreciation niya doon sa statistics na iyon is wrong. Kung ganiyan ang appreciation niya (Her appreciation of the statistics is wrong. If that is her appreciation) it’s quite risky because if you have little knowledge that you present it could be very risky,” Gamboa added.
Meanwhile, the PNP official said despite the success of the government’s drug war, regional directors and head of national support units are doubling their efforts in the government’s war on drugs, terrorism, criminality, and corruption.—AAC (with reports from Lea Ylagan)
MANILA, Philippines – Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo criticized Vice President Leni Robredo’s revelations of what she claimed as her discovery during her short stint as the anti-drug czar.
In response to her press briefing Monday (January 6), the Palace said it was Robredo who failed as the co-chairperson of the Inter-Agency Committee on Anti-Illegal Drugs (ICAD), and not the Duterte Administration’s campaign against illegal drugs.
“Palagay ko ang failure ay ang pag-upo niya (I think the real failure is when she took the post),” Panelo said.
Robredo spent only 18 days in the ICAD before President Rodrigo Duterte dismissed her from the position due to a lack of trust.
As for the figures that the Vice President divulged before the press, the Palace official said they were wrong and all anti-drug law enforcement agencies could attest to that.
Panelo argued that in comparison to Robredo, the President has unlimited resources when it comes to the government’s war on drugs as compare to her who knows nothing about the campaign.
“I think she just wants to be relevant,” Panelo said.
“It’s a dud. Wala naman siyang sinabing bago na hindi tinututukan ng mga ahensya na involved sa laban droga (There was nothing new with what she said that anti-drugs agencies didn’t address. There’s nothing new in what she said),” Panelo concluded. MNP (with details from Rosalie Coz)
MANILA, Philippines – Organizers of the 30th Southeast Asian (SEA) Games announced on Friday that tickets for most of the sporting events will now be given for free.
House Speaker Alan Peter Cayetano, who heads the Philippine SEA Games Organizing Committee (PHISGOC), said tickets for 53 sporting events that have yet to be sold will be given away.
Cayetano said the organizers’ move is upon the instruction of President Rodrigo Duterte.
“To make sure that all Filipinos who want to watch live and can be physically present sa Games, the organizing committee has decided that all games na hindi pa sold out yung tickets at i-o-open na po, libre na,” Cayetano told reporters.
Duterte on Thursday said the decision on whether to make SEA Games events accessible to the public lies with the organizing committee.
He, however, said that if it were up to him, he would open all events for Filipinos who want to watch and support the country’s athletes participating in the biennial meet.
Cayetano said sports without tickets, including lawn ball, golf and quash will also be open to the public.
However, tickets for basketball, volleyball, and football matches will not be included to the free admission scheme as these are already sold out. The said sporting events will be held in Mall of Asia Arena, PhilSports Arena, Rizal Memorial Stadium and Biñan Football Stadium.
For those who already purchased tickets for the events that are now free will receive treats instead of a refund, PHISGOC chief operating officer Ramon Suzara said.
“We’ll put them in the best location because they bought the tickets already,” he said.
Suzara said those interested to watch the free SEA Games events may get tickets from their respective local governments.
He also reminded spectators to follow security procedures in sporting venues.
In addition, 10,000 free tickets will also be provided for the closing ceremony of the SEA Games which will be held on Dec. 11 at the New Clark City, Tarlac.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.