DPWH blacklists 25 ‘non-performing, scheming’ contractors

Robie de Guzman   •   November 6, 2020   •   514

MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) on Friday said it has blacklisted more than 20 contractors for violating the terms and conditions of their contracts.

DPWH Secretary Mark Villar said a total of 25 “non-performing” and “scheming” contractors were banned from July 2016 to the present, which the department said is so far the highest number of blacklisted contractors since 2005.

Only five contractors were sanctioned from 2010 to June 2016, and only eight in 2005 to 2010, the DPWH added.

“Let this be a warning to our contractors that this administration of President Rodrigo Roa Duterte is serious in its anti-corruption drive and will not tolerate those who bagged big amount of civil works contract but deliberately violate the law for personal gains,” Villar said.

Contractors who violate the terms and conditions of contracts may face blacklisting or be suspended from participating in any government project in accordance to existing laws and policies, the DPWH said.

As administrative sanction, the blacklisted contractor is prevented from participating in all government projects for a period of one year based on the implementing rules and regulations of Republic Act 9184 or otherwise known as the Government Procurement Reform Act, it added.

“This is a testament that collusion between contractors and DPWH officials is not being tolerated. If any of our implementing offices are tolerating erring contractors by letting them continue with their projects without sanctioning them, the Department will not hesitate in imposing disciplinary action against them,” Villar said.

The DWPH chief said he issued on January 31, 2020 a blacklisting order to St. Gerrard Construction General Contractor & Development Corporation— which has P8.861 billion worth of contracts for various projects— for the delay in implementation of a building project in Indang, Cavite.

Also handed with a one-year suspension order on September 6, 2018 was Syndite Construction Corporation, which has bagged various project contracts amounting P5.588 billion due to negative slippage of more than 15% in the construction of a flood control system in Cagayan.

Although thousands of public works projects are being undertaken, the DPWH assured it has implemented systems to ensure that these contracts are strictly monitored and safeguarded from any negligence.

The department said these projects are monitored using drones and geographic-based status reports, which were implemented by Villar, with the progress of the projects confirmed via satellite photography or geotagging to counter ghost projects.

A tech-based initiative called DPWH Infratrack application also facilitates virtual monitoring of civil works projects for more accurate measurement of contractor’s accomplishments, it added.

P1.2-B allocated for study of 82 big-ticket projects – DPWH

Robie de Guzman   •   February 17, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – A total of 82 projects are currently under feasibility studies, preliminary, detailed engineering design, economic analysis, technical studies, and traffic impact assessment, the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) said.

In a statement issued Tuesday, the DPWH said these projects have received an allocation of P1.23 billion under the 2021 General Appropriations Act (GAA).

DPWH Secretary Mark Villar said that in Luzon alone, 33 proposed projects have received study funding – the Samson Road to NLEX Connector Link Project under DPWH National Capital Region costing P36.9 Million and the Alaminos-Lucap Bypass Road in Pangasinan costing P11 Million for Region 1.

The Cordillera Administrative Region has received funding for seven projects costing P94.4 Million which cover Mongol-Nalbu-Alimit-Nattum-Dulao Road and Boliwog-Abinuan-Alimit (Mayoyao) Road among others, he added.

Region 2 also received P37.5 million for the study of four projects covering Baybayog Bypass Road and Quezon-Delfin Abano Road.

Region 3 received P60 million for four projects covering San Miguel-Cabanatuan Road and San Leonardo-San Antonio Bypass Road and Concepcion-Mabalacat Bypass Road among others.

In Region 4-A, seven projects received P126.3 million which include the Batangas Grand Terminal Flyover, Cavite-Batangas Bypass Road, and Tanza-Nasugbu Road.

Four projects in Region 4-B costing P68.6 million covering Sablayan-Sta. Cruz Diversion Road and Lubang Island Circumferential Road.

Region 5 received P47.1 million for five projects, which include the Sipocot Bypass Road and Mabolo-Almeda Bypass Road among others.

In Visayas, the DPWH allocated funding for studies of 19 projects which is composed of three in Region 6 costing P66.4 million covering Capiz-Aklan Coastal Road among others; six in Region 7 costing P106.2 million which covers Pamplona-Tanjay City-Bayawan City Road and Mambaling South Boulevard; and 10 projects in Region 8 costing P108.9 million inclusive of Baybay-McArthur Road and Nabang-Gadgaran Diversion Road.

For Mindanao, 29 projects received appropriation including the four projects in Region 9 costing P71.4 million which cover Sirawai-Tungawan Diversion Road in Zamboanga del Norte and Putik-Campo Island Diversion Road in Zamboanga City; 11 projects in Region 10 costing P160.4 million covering Iligan City-Magsaysay Agri-Industrial Road and Dansolihan-Camp Kibaritan-Languindingan Road; four in Region 11 costing P51.5 million covering Panacan-Bunawan Flyover and Tagum City-Sto. Tomas Diversion Road; two in Region 12 costing P17.4 million inclusive of Bolebak-Pansud Alternate Road and Midsayap-Libungan Bypass Road; and eight in Region 13 which include the Libanga-San Miguel Road and NRJ Santiago-Cantilan Road among others.

The Poblacion Sta. Maria-Malungon Road, an inter-regional road connecting Davao del Sur to Sarangani has also received study funding in the amount of P17.4 million, the DPWH said.

“On top of thousands of ongoing projects under DPWH, 82 new high-impact projects are being studied so we can further improve road network across the country,” Villar said.

“Timely studies are crucial to successful project development as they lay the foundation for the implementation of civil works phase,” he added.

Alaminos-San Pablo City bypass Road in Laguna to open by March 15 – DPWH

Marje Pelayo   •   February 17, 2021

LAGUNA, Philippines – The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) is set to open the 2.85-kilometer section of the Alaminos-San Pablo City Bypass Road Phase 1 Project in the province of Laguna on March 15.

“This may only be just a small portion of the 12.83-kilometer Alaminos-San Pablo City Bypass Road but this marks the non-stop efforts of the Department to improve road network to support underdeveloped areas,” said DPWH Secretary Mark Villar during the ocular at the Alaminos, Laguna side of the bypass road starting from Daang Maharlika on Tuesday (February 16).

“The entire Alaminos-San Pablo City Bypass Road with five (5) bridge components is envisioned to cut travel time by as much as 20-40 minutes, thereby improving mobility between the two (2) towns of Laguna,” added Villar.

DPWH has so far completed 4-kilometer road opening and 1.63-kilometer road concreting, 1.22-kilometer road opening, construction of Bridge 1, 2, and 3 and 1.92-kilometer road concreting since the project started in 2016.

To date, five segments are now ongoing covering the construction of Bridge 4 and 5 which are now 45 percent and 15 percent completed, respectively. 

Also ongoing are the 5.31-kilometer road concreting with thermoplastic pavement markings now 15 percent completed, construction of another 2.45-kilometer road with line canal npw 25 percent completed, and widening of Bridge 1 and 2 now 89 percent completed.

The project has received a total allocation of P1.36 Billion since 2016 and will require P473 Million more in funds to cover the widening of Bridge 3, 4, and 5, and paving of the shoulder of the entire bypass road project. 

Trucks temporarily not allowed on Nagtahan Flyover starting Feb. 20

Marje Pelayo   •   February 15, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — Starting February 20, all trucks and trailers are temporarily prohibited from crossing Nagtahan Flyover due to cracks in some sections of the structure.

According to the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH), only light vehicles will be allowed while repairs are being done on the defective portion of the flyover.

DPWH Ncr Director Eric Ayapana said the cracks began to manifest in December. 

“Iyong mga crack lumitaw iyan after ng earthquake noong December 25. Ang epicenter natin that time is sa Batangas,” Ayapana said.

The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) appeals for public understanding and advises motorists to take alternative routes as heavy traffic flow in the area is expected throughout the duration of the repair.

“We are expecting this so naglagay kami ng mga traffic enforcers doon sa mga rerouting na sinabi nga namin pero for the public sana understanding na lang,” asked MMDA Chairman Benhur Abalos.

“Safety […] it’s the foremost in our mind,” he added. MNP / JP Nunez

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.