MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) on Wednesday opened the first 10 kilometers of the Cavite-Laguna Expressway (CALAX) to motorists in time for this year’s Undas.
DPWH Secretary Mark Villar led the partial opening with a ceremonial drive through with his team.
Villar said the partial opening covers the first stretch of CALAX, which spans the Mamplasan Barrier to Santa Rosa-Tagaytay Interchange.
The DPWH chief said a single lane will be opened in the Laguna segment to ease the flow of vehicles passing Laguna Boulevard and Aguinaldo Highway.
“With November 1 falling on a Friday, I’m sure many of our kababayans will take advantage of the time to do some family bonding and go on a road trip,” he told reporters.
“I only see benefits in opening CALAX even on a single lane basis to decongest Laguna Boulevard, Aguinaldo Highway. We are at 90% completion, the remaining 10% of the works are being fast-tracked while in operations,” he added.
Villar said that around 10,000 cars are expected to enter and exit through the two access points at the Mamplasan Barrier for westbound vehicles, and Sta. Rosa-Tagaytay Entry for the eastbound vehicles.
“This section will be about 10 minutes to drive. A big cut on travel time compared to the 45-minutes it currently takes to travel Mamplasan to Sta. Rosa-Tagaytay road,” Villar said.
Bobby Bontia, president and general manager of the Metro Pacific Tollways Corporation subsidiary MP CALA Holdings, Inc. said the Laguna segment will be open until 10 p.m. on Oct. 30; while it will be accessible from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. from Oct. 31 to Nov. 2.
“For the daily access time, we agreed with DPWH that it will be Sunday to Thursday 6:00AM to 6:00PM and giving extended time on weekends, Friday to Saturday 6:00AM to 10:00PM,” Bontia said.
“This will only be temporary, until we finish the remaining works for this first segment before December. By then, full access of the other interchanges and 24-hour use shall be possible,” he added.
The 45-kilometer CALAX is designed to be a 4-lane, tolled expressway that will connect CAVITEX in Kawit to South Luzon Expressway (SLEX) at their Mamplasan Interchange in Binan Laguna.
CALAX will have interchanges in 8 locations, namely: Kawit, Imus Open Canal, Governor’s Drive, Aguinaldo Highway, Silang, Sta. Rosa-Tagaytay, Laguna Blvd., Technopark, and a Toll Barrier before SLEX.
The entire length of the expressway project is expected to be completed in 2022. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Sherwin Culubong)
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) has reactivated its road assistance program, dubbed as “Lakbay Alalay,” to help motorists during the observance of the Undas break.
DPWH Secretary Mark Villar said the road assistance program will begin at 7 a.m. Thursday, Oct. 31 until 12 noon on Monday, Nov. 4.
During these dates, Villar said, the DPWH Lakbay Alalay team will provide“prompt and reliable assistance to motorists and travelers.”
“Lakbay Alalay” is DPWH’s annual public service program nationwide through the 16 Regional and 183 District Engineering Offices of providing immediate assistance to motorists including rescuing troubled vehicles, and applying first aid in emergency situations, according to Villar.
Villar said he has directed all DPWH regional directors and district engineers to deploy teams on a round-the-clock shift at strategic locations and highways leading to cemeteries and other areas commonly visited by the public during Undas.
He also reminded the department’s field units to keep national roads safe by implementing various highway routine maintenance activities on carriageways and roadsides including the installation of informative/regulatory warning signs or traffic advisories.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.