DPOS demolishes front pillars of QCPD Traffic Sector 2 building in Novaliches
Maris Federez • September 23, 2019 • 109
The Quezon City Department of Public Order and Safety (DPOS) on Monday (September 23) demolished the portion of the façade of the Traffic Sector 2 building of the Quezon City Police District (QCPD) in Novaliches, as its two pillars have occupied the sidewalk and are causing obstruction.
DPOS personnel said they are not exempting anyone in their clearing operations.
The structure was erected in 2007 and was not obstructing pedestrian traffic then, but the city’s road-widening project has affected the area which caused the two pillars of the building to occupy the sidewalk.
The QCPD personnel also helped in the demolition of the said pillars.
“Kailangan po nating sundin ang utos ng ating minamahal na Pangulo [We need to abide by the directive of our dear President],” Col. Colenrico Vargas, QCPD Deputy District Director for Operation, said.
DPOS assured that the Quezon City District Engineer office has checked the integrity of the building to ensure that it will not collapse and is still safe to use even with the removal of the two front pillars of the building.
“Ire- remove po natin from ground to hanggang doon po sa roofline. Ok naman po iyong structural napag- aralan na po namin hindi naman po maapektuhan iyong whole structure [We will remove from ground to the roofline. We have studied the structural pattern and we noted that (the demolition) will not affect the whole structure],” Engr. Ronnie Remo of the Quezon City District 5 Engineering office said. (from the report of Aiko Miguel) /mbmf
MANILA, Philippines – Personnel from the Quezon City Department of Public Order and Safety (DPOS) on Tuesday (Sept. 24) removed more obstructions on roads and sidewalks as the 60-day deadline set for road clearing operations looms.
Among the obstructions dismantled by DPOS members were signages of some establishments along Pittsburgh street in Barangay Silangan, Cubao.
According to the DPOS intelligence division, these structures are illegally-installed on electric posts and violates a city ordinance which prohibits business owners from fixating any signage on undesignated areas.
“Lalong-lalo na kapag natakpan ang traffic light, natakpan ang pangalan ng street katulad ng signages dito, talagang ipinagbabawal iyon,” QC DPOS intelligence division chief Roger Cuaresma said.
The QC DPOS also removed an old and graffiti-laden barangay outpost erected along Illinois street in the same barangay.
Cuaresma said the unused outpost was brought to the barangay hall for proper disposal.
“Kung meron po tayong project na barangay outpost o kaya barangay control Area, naglagay tayo ng building e gamitin po natin iyon kasi unang-una pera ng gobyerno ginamit natin diyan,” he said.
DPOS also cleared some plant boxes and demolished a gate and other structures and materials occupying the sidewalk.
There are only five days left before the deadline lapses for all local government units to rid roads of obstructions in their respective areas.
The move is following President Rodrigo Duterte’s order during his fourth State of the Nation Address to reclaim thoroughfares that are being used for private ends to ease traffic congestion in the country.
The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) earlier warned that local officials who are unable to comply with the order would face sanctions ranging from a reprimand, suspension, to dismissal from the service. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Aiko Miguel)
The Quezon City Department of Public Order and Safety (DPOS) on Monday demolished stalls that have extended to the sidewalks in Barangay Sta Lucia public market .
The clearing operations affected more than 30 stalls.
DPOS Chief Roger Cuaresma said the stall-owners had been given adequate time to fix their stores.
“Kanina hindi natin makita ang sidewalk, ngayon clear na ang sidewalk. Actually, karamihan dito sa mga stall-owner, nagse-self dismantle na rin (A while back we couldn’t see the sidewalk, now it’s cleared. Actually, some of the stall-owners also conducted self-dismantling [of stores]),” Cuaresma reported.
The clearing ops had been peaceful and orderly, although some vendors were a bit dismayed by the interruption.
Cuaresma, however, said the clearing operations would have been faster if the residents and the vendors that occupy the sidewalks had been cooperative.
He added that some stall-owners asked for more time for them to be able to transfer to a better location.
“Kasi sila na raw ang magse- self demolish. Katulad nito, hindi namin tinanggal kasi bigasan. Kapag tinanggal namin iyan, masisira ang bigas. Kaya sila na lang magtatanggal hanggang hapon (They said they will self-demolish. Like this one, we did not touch it because they sell rice. If we demolished it, the rice might get affected. So they will be the one to demolish until this afternoon),” Cuaresma said. (with reports from Aiko Miguel) /mbmf
The blast that rocked a Korean restaurant in Quezon City early Thursday morning was not a terror attack, the Quezon City Police District (QCPD) said.
Police said an explosive went off at past 12:00 a.m. in front of a Korean restaurant in Scout Tuazon Street, Barangay South Triangle, Quezon City.
Authorities said no one was hurt in the incident, but two vehicles parked nearby sustained damages.
The explosion alarmed many residents in the area.
“May biglang sumabog diyan, may narinig kaming napakalakas na pagsabog. Pero wala naman kaming nakita na kahina-hinalang tao o ano man. Wala namang sasakyang umalis. Pero daanan talaga ‘yan. May mga dumadaan diyan,” said Lebanan Picardal who mans a consumer outpost near the blast site.
A police report cited witnesses who said a man wearing denim pants and a black shirt passed by and placed a suspicious item in the the area several moments before the explosion went off.
“Mayroon tayong witness na nagsasabi na casually na naglakad ‘yung ating suspek na lalaki,” said Police Lt. Col. Louise Benjie Tremor, commander of QCPD Kamuning Police Station.
“Siguro ‘yung kaniyang edad nasa 30 years old pataas siya at estimated na height ay 5’6” in height at iyon po ‘yung tinitingnan natin na nakasuot po siya ng black na t-shirt at maong,” Tremor added.
Although investigation is still ongoing, the QCPD has ruled out terrorism because the blast occurred while the restaurant was closed.
“Ina-assure natin sa publiko po na hindi ito terror attack na nangyari. So, kasi itong pinangyarihan naman, lahat nitong establishments at ‘yung mga adjacent establishment ay closed na sila,” Tremor said.
Authorities are yet to determine the possible motive and the suspect behind the incident. (with details from Asher Cadapan Jr.)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.