DOTr-TWG to meet with stakeholders this week to discuss motorcycle taxi issues
Robie de Guzman • January 20, 2020 • 252
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Transportation’s (DOTr) inter-agency technical working group (TWG) is set to meet this week with stakeholders to discuss concerns involving motorcycle taxis.
In a statement, the TWG said it will consider sentiments raised by the members of the Senate committee on public services and motorcycle taxi operators following its announcement of the termination of the pilot run.
“The Inter-Agency TWG on Motorcycle Taxis is considering the sentiments raised by the members of the Senate Committee on Public Services, as well as by other stakeholders,” it said in a statement posted on Facebook.
“In fact, right after the Senate hearing, the TWG immediately convened to initially discuss such sentiments,” it added.
The statement was issued after TWG chairperson and Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) member Antonio Gardiola said they have submitted a recommendation to terminate the pilot run on motorcycle-ride hailing services in the country.
Gardiola also said earlier motorcycle taxis will be considered illegal and will not be allowed to operate when they start the enforcement next week.
However, some senators urged the TWG to continue the pilot test until Congress amends the Republic Act 4136, which states that motorcycles are still considered as a private mode of transportation.
The TWG said these concerns will be discussed during their meeting on Wednesday and Friday this week.
“Afterwhich, a report shall be submitted to DOTr Secretary Arthur Tugade,” it said.
“Another meeting shall likewise be conducted on Friday with stakeholders, resource persons, and the three motorcycle providers participating in the study, to iron out the specifics,” it added.
The Quezon City government will remove the cease and desist order against the construction of the MRT-7 station 2 in Quezon City Memorial Circle.
This was after the Department of Transportation (DOTr) said it will release a new design for the MRT-7 station 2.
“Sa Friday po, February 28 ay naktakda po na i-present iyong proposed redesign ng station 2 (And on Friday, February 28, we will present the proposed redesign of station 2),” according to DOTr Usec. for Railway Timothy John Batan.
The Quezon City government previously released a cease and desist order against the MRT-7 station 2 construction after the design was not the one approved by the local government.
The cease and desist order also aims to preserve the city’s landmark. Quezon City LGU Representative Atty. Mark Dale Perral said they will review the new design on Friday.
“We will analyze this on Friday and rest assured that in cooperation with DOTr and San Miguel Corporation, we will immediately lift order of stoppage of the above works construction,” he said.
Meanwhile, Batan said the construction of the MRT-7 remains on schedule.
The MRT-7 project is worth P75 billion and will operate from San Jose Del Monte, Bulacan to Mindanao Avenue in Quezon City.—AAC (with reports from Vincent Arboleda)
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Transportation (DOTr) on Monday presented to the public the major parts of tunnel boring machines (TMB) for the construction of the Metro Manila Subway Project.
During an event held in Pasay City, the DOTr made a presentation showcasing the assembly timeline and how these machines will help accelerate the construction of the Metro Manila Subway.
The tunnel boring machines were unveiled together with representatives of the Japanese contractor, Shimizu Corporation, and the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA).
“The Boring Machine is manufactured per specific designs. This is designed to what they found on the soil that is to be bored. Hindi ‘to ‘yung pupunta ka lang sa hardware at bibili ng dalawang boring machine. Hindi ho ganun ‘yan. That’s why it takes a little bit of time. But the moment it comes and it is assembled, the boring becomes fast and more efficient,” DOTr Secretary Arthur Tugade told reporters during a briefing.
The major parts of a TBM which were unveiled include the shield jack, cutter reduction gear motor, main bearings, and articulation jack.
The DOTr said TBMs are integral in building the subway as these are used to dig underground and lay the tunnels. These machines can excavate through a variety of ground conditions, from hard rock to sand.
Transportation Undersecretary for Railways Timothy John Batan said around six tunnel boring machines will be used for the construction of the partial operability phase, or the first three stations of the Metro Manila Subway.
“Parte po ito ng tinatawag nating tunnel boring machine na siyang maghuhukay ng mga tunnels natin para sa Metro Manila Subway project natin. ‘Yung una nating tunneling na gagamit ng tunnel boring machine ay mag-uumpisa galing sa depot natin sa Ugong, Valenzuela patungong Quirino Highway Station,” Batan said.
The first tunnel boring machine is expected to be delivered in August of this year, about four months ahead of schedule.
Batan said that after the machine’s delivery in August, the tunneling will begin from the East Valenzuela Station in Barangay Ugong in Valenzuela City towards Quirino Highway Station.
The Metro Manila Subway will have 15 stations from Ugong, Valenzuela, all the way to Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) Terminal 3.
The DOTr said it is eyeing the subway to become partially operational by 2021. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Joan Nano)
MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine National Railways (PNR) on Thursday deployed its two new trains to operate in Tutuban-Alabang route after its send-off ceremony and class assignment.
According to PNR general manager Junn Magno, the new trainsets which are part of the 8100 series of Diesel Multiple Unit (DMU) consist of four cars each and can carry up to 1,000 passengers per trip.
The train sets, which were acquired from Indonesian company PT Inka, are equipped with closed-circuit television (CCTV) cameras, air conditioning units, and handrails for increased passenger capacity and safety.
The trains also feature poly-carbonate windows capable of withstanding moderate damage caused by thrown rocks, and automatic safety doors equipped with a sensory feature that will easily open should someone or something is caught in between.
With the new trains, the Tutuban-Alabang route will now have a total of five trains.
Transportation Secretary Arthur Tugade, meanwhile, assured that PNR fare rates will not increase despite the deployment of new trainsets.
He also called on the public to be alert and immediately report any stone-throwing incident targeting PNR train units.
“Gusto nating manatiling matagal ang paggamit ng ating mga tren kailangan yung kooperasyon ng lahat gamitin ng tama huwag gumawa ng perwisyo, wag maging pasaway,” he said.
Magno said these train sets are part of the 37 railcars and three locomotives procured by the PNR which are expected to be completely delivered in the coming months.
“Hahabulin po natin na by the end of 2020, we should have enough capacity to serve the southern and part of the northern. Bubuksan na rin po natin yung Valenzuela line para ma-off load rin natin ang EDSA,” he said.
The PNR earlier deployed two other new trains to operate in Tutuban-FTI route in Taguig.
Once the delivery of new train sets is completed, PNR’s current 20,000 passenger capacity is expected to increase to 92,000, inching closer to its target of 200,000 daily passengers in the region. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Joan Nano)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.