DOTr to consider grievances of drivers, operators on the Jeepney Modernization Program
UNTV News • December 12, 2017 • 4121
MANILA, Philippines — Some transport groups have once again expressed their concerns on the implementation of the Jeepney Modernization Program of the Department of Transportation (DOTr) next year.
They claim many drivers are concerned about losing their livelihood once the program begins.
“Ang jeepneys ang sumalo sa dapat na tungkulin ng pamahalaan (the jeepneys shoulder what should be the government’s responsibilities),” Pinagkaisang Samahan ng mga Tsuper at Operator Nationwide (PISTON) national president, George San Mateo said.
Alliance of Concerned Transport Organization (ACTO) national president, Efren De Luna fears that their units will fall short in the examination.
“Ang pinagbabatayan nila sa examine yung mga bago nang makina. Mga surplus po kami, baka di kami maangkop na baka pagdating ng January walang pumasa sa MVIS (Motor Vehicle Inspection System),” said De Luna.
(In the examination, they use latest engine models as the standard. Ours are only surplus, we might not be deemed suitable that come January we will not pass the MVIS.)
Transportation Secretary Arthur Tugade, meanwhile, explained the said program underwent consultation.
Tugade said the groups cannot use as an excuse the P1.5-million tag price of modern jeepneys because there are also models that cost P800,000.
The Transportation chief also said that jeepney drivers and operators should not be afraid to invest but rather think of the return of investment they can get with the new jeepney models.
Senator Vicente Sotto III suggested easing up on the implementation of the program.
“Let the river flow. Pupunta at pupunta sila diyan sa moderno pag nakita na nila. Pero ngayon pa lang eh dinidiktahan nating ganyan, mahihirapan tayo (Let the river flow. They will eventually go with modernization once they see it. But if we force it on them, we’ll have difficulty),” Sen. Vicente Sotto III said.
Tugade responded, “That will be recon and deliberated upon and considered within that time frame of 3 years.”
The DOTr vowed to take into consideration the concerns of various stakeholders in the implementation of the said program.
Senator Grace Poe, meanwhile, appealed to the Transportation chief to also allow old jeepney units to operate if these will pass safety standards.
Tugade reminded Poe of the safety standards that must be followed such as having the door on the side and not on the back.
The senator urged the DOTr to allow the transport sector to adjust to the new program before fully implementing it.
Magkaroon muna ng pilot projects. Hindi pwedeng sabay-sabay lahat ng areas. Siguro kung compliance sa safety, roadworthiness at saka yung emissions, pwede munang iyon ang unahin (There should be pilot projects first. You can’t have it in all areas simultaneously. If its compliance with safety, roadworthiness and emissions, maybe we can start with that),” Poe said. – Nel Maribojoc | UNTV News & Rescue
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Transportation (DOTr) on Wednesday announced that beginning August 1, students will no longer have to pay terminal fees at all airports owned and operated by the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP).
In an advisory posted on its Facebook page, the DOTr said a memorandum circular stipulating the waving of terminal fees for students has been signed by CAAP director general Jim Syndiongco.
This policy applies to students who are currently enrolled in preschool to college, including in trade, arts, technical and vocational schools and training centers.
“Qualified students who will avail of the exemption shall apply for a student exemption certificate at Malasakit Help Desks located in airports,” the DOTr said.
Student passengers with flights starting August 1, 2019 and purchased tickets previously within a period of one year may “seek for refund of the terminal fee that was integrated into their airline tickets purchased at point of sale or online.”
The DOTr said refund may be claimed in all Malasakit Help Desks at CAAP-operated airports.
“All Malasakit Help Desks at CAAP-operated airports shall serve as refund counters until such time the airlines are able to facilitate the exemption in their booking system,” it said.
The DOTr earlier announced that students would get free rides from government-operated railway lines and exemption from terminal fees in seaports and airports across the country.
The Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Department of Transportation (Dotr) discussed on Tuesday (July 23) immigration issues at airports.
Transportation Secretary Arthur Tugade has suggested providing a rapid response or strike force composed of Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA) personnel who will undergo training.
These personnel will assist in immigration procedures without compromising security.
Tugade also suggested additional e-gates and manpower for all immigration counters.
“There should not be a time where immigration booths are to be unmanned. Let us collaborate. Let us work with each other. What is at stake here is the image of our country,” Secretary Tugade said.
Both departments also discussed the preparations for the upcoming SEA Games.
“Issues have to be addressed. We really need to do something about it. Filipinos who are known for our hospitality, pagdating pa lang ng turista, ipakita na natin sa kanila (We should show it to tourists),” according to DOJ Secretary Menardo Guevarra.—AAC
MANILA, Philippines – Hatchback-type and sub-compact cars will now be allowed to operate as transport network vehicle service (TNVS) units, the Department of Transportation (DOTr) said on Friday.
DOTr Secretary Arthur Tugade signed the department order which was announced by Transport Assistant Secretary Goddess Libiran to media.
“Sec. Tugade signs the Department Order permanently allowing hatchbacks and sub-compact cars as TNVS units,” Libiran told reporters in a message.
A copy of the order has yet to be furnished to the media.
The formal signing of the department order follows Tugade’s directive on Thursday for the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) to implement its Memorandum Circular (MC) No. 2018-005, which allows hatchback units to operate as public transport on certain conditions.
Tugade issued the instruction following complaints from stakeholders on the matter.
“Kung kailangang baguhin ang ilang dokumento, baguhin. Kung kailangang i-improve, dapat i-improve,” Tugade said in a statement.
Under MC 2018-005, all accredited hatchback units shall be allowed to operate as public transport provided that they only operate during the transition period of three (3) years, only in Metro Manila, and charge a lower fare.
However, only hatchback units that were among the 55,000 units in the masterlist and whose applications were filed from March 5 to December 15, 2018 are entitled to the benefit granted by MC 2018-005.
DOTr Undersecretary for Road Transport and Infrastructure Mark Richmund de Leon earlier said the LTFRB will need to amend its memorandum to allow the permanent classification of hatchbacks as TNVS units, and to re-enlist TNVS units that were previously removed from the masterlist.
He further cited that the inclusion of hatchbacks in the TNVS fleet will greatly benefit the commuting public.
“We are giving the commuters their transport options. Kung gusto niya na mas mura ang biyahe niya, mag-hatchback siya,” he said.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.