The Department of Tourism (DOT) has announced that young and senior tourists from Western Visayas are now allowed to visit Boracay Island.
Tourism Secretary Bernadette Romulo-Puyat said Boracay will reopen for tourists, ages below 21 and above 60, from Western Visayas.
“This move aims to further reinvigorate the tourism economy in the region and address the earlier clamor of Boracay tourism stakeholders to attract more tourists to the island,” she said.
The Inter-Agency Task Force on Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID) on Thursday (July 23) approved the DOT’s recommendation to lift the ban on tourists below 21 and above 60 on Boracay island.
Puyat assured the government will continue to put the safety of the public first and will strictly implement health and safety protocol as the island reopens. She also noted that there were no reported coronavirus (COVID-19) cases on the island.
“The DOT will always put paramount concern on the safety of our people — tourists and residents alike,” she said. AAC
Palawan is again hailed as the “best island in the world,” by international travel magazine Travel+Leisure.
“It’s dramatic at sea level, with mountains rising directly from the ocean palm-edged beaches. Though it’s difficult to reach from many parts of the world, once travelers get there they can dive in World War II wrecks, explore old-growth rain forests, and paddle one of the world’s longest subterranean rivers at Puerto Princesa,” according to Travel+Leisure magazine.
The magazine released its Top 25 Best Islands in the world on Wednesday (July 9), in which Palawan ranked first with a score 94.83. This is the fourth time the island topped the list.
One of the fans wrote, “The landscape and scenery are just gorgeous. It offers the most beautiful beaches, resorts, and scenery anywhere.”
Meanwhile, the Department of Tourism celebrated Palawan’s recognition. DOT Secretary Bernadette Romulo-Puyat said that the “rehabilitation and sustainable development efforts last year, especially in El Nido and Coron, were well-received by tourists everywhere.” AAC
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Tourism (DOT) is set to mount sweeper flights for “qualified stranded local tourists” in provinces who wish to return to the National Capital Region (NCR).
DOT Secretary Bernadette Romulo-Puyat said the sweeper flights will assist stranded local tourists whose trip back to NCR was canceled due to the implementation of the community quarantine against the spread of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
The facilitation of sweeper flights developed after the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-MEID) authorized the DOT to undertake measures to help domestic travelers affected by the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) in Luzon.
“This is a positive development that will complement our on-ongoing efforts in the Department to assist qualified stranded local tourists, which include the provision of one-time financial assistance,” Romulo-Puyat said in a statement.
The DOT chief said a local tourist may be eligible for the assistance if they are registered with the Regional Tourism Office and has a confirmed land, air, or sea return ticket to their province or city but was canceled due to the ECQ.
As of April 28, there are 2,392 listed domestic tourists stranded in different regions.
The DOT urged stranded local tourists to coordinate with the Tourism Regional Office near them for the schedule of the sweeper flight. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Asher Cadapan Jr.)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.