DOLE says nearly 200,000 workers received cash aid from gov’t

Robie de Guzman   •   April 6, 2020   •   1277

MANILA, Philippines – Close to 200,000 workers have already received cash aid from the government’s assistance programs to mitigate the impact of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) crisis, the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) said.

In a report, DOLE said around P622 million in assistance funds had been distributed to beneficiaries of the COVID-19 Adjustment Measures Program (CAMP), and the Tulong Panghanapbuhay sa Ating Disadvantaged/Displaced Workers (TUPAD)-Barangay ko, Bahay ko (BKBK) program.

The department said that as of April 4, Saturday, around 102,895 workers from the formal sector have received P5,000 cash assistance under CAMP while nearly 80,000 informal sector employees availed of the TUPAD BKBK program.

DOLE expressed hope to aid mode than 350,000 formal and informal sector workers by the middle of the month under its assistance programs.

The agency also said it would need another P5 billion for the remainder of the month to help more than workers who are currently struggling due to the effects of the enhanced community quarantine against coronavirus.

Based on their field monitoring reports, the number of workers in need of assistance has ballooned to over 600,000.

Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III earlier reiterated that DOLE’s one-time cash assistance for workers amid COVID-19 worries is different from the government’s subsidy program for low-income families to be distributed by the Department of Social Welfare and Development and other concerned agencies mandated in the Bayanihan to Heal as One Act. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Asher Cadapan Jr.)

First in Philippines: PAL joins global trial run of IATA Travel Pass app

Marje Pelayo   •   April 22, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — The country’s flag carrier Philippine Airlines (PAL) is joining the global trial run of the digital travel pass developed by the International Air Transport Association (IATA).

The IATA Travel Pass application aims to help international passengers digitally manage their health documents and coronavirus diseases 2019 (COVID-19) negative test results in compliance with health protocols and for a safer and more convenient travel experience.

PAL will conduct a trial run of the new on its flights from Manila to Los Angeles and Singapore on selected dates from May to June 2021, the airline firm said in a statement.

Tourism Secretary Bernadette Romulo-Puyat earlier hinted at this possibility saying the Department wishes to adopt the measure which has been undertaken by other countries that already have relaxed their borders.

She added that the IATA travel pass offers a standard that will be helpful in the validation and authentication of each passenger’s COVID-19 travel requirements.

5 COVID-19 patients in PGH die daily; full-bed capacity looming

Aileen Cerrudo   •   April 21, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — At least five patients in the Philippine General Hospital (PGH) who are suffering from coronavirus disease (COVID-19) die every day.

During a public briefing on Wednesday (April 21), PGH Spokesperson Dr. Jonas Del Rosario reported that for the last two weeks, at least five patients succumb to the virus per day.

There are also times when it would even reach up to seven or 10 patients a day, he said.

Rosario also reported that they already reached full bed capacity.

Puno po ang ICU (intensive care units), that has been the case for some time – 30 beds po iyon. Sa emergency room, may 25 beds for COVID-19 at lagi rin pong puno. Mostly po severe to critical care iyong nagpupunta sa ER (The ICUs are full, that has been the case for some time – that’s 30 beds. In the emergency room, there are 25 beds for COVID-19 and it’s always full. Mostly, patients in the ER are severe to critical cases)” he said.

The PGH Spokesperson also said they are not in full support of easing quarantine classifications after April 30. He hopes that the number of patients that will be admitted to the PGH will decrease with the help of quarantine restrictions.

“Extension of the MECQ to us will probably help in further decreasing the transmission hopefully and then less people will get hospitalized,” Rosario said. AAC (with reports from Marvin Calas)

Philippines records 9,227 new COVID-19 cases; 19,699 recoveries

Robie de Guzman   •   April 21, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — The Philippines on Wednesday registered 9,227 new novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases, bringing the total caseload to 962,307, the Department of Health (DOH) said.

The DOH said the latest tally pushed the country’s active cases to 116,434.

The tally, however, does not include data from eight laboratories that failed to submit their reports on time.

Ngayong 4 PM, Abril 21, 2021, ang Department of Health ay nakapagtala ng 9,227 na karagdagang kaso ng COVID-19….

Posted by Department of Health (Philippines) on Wednesday, April 21, 2021

The DOH also announced 19,699 new recovered patients, bringing the total number of recoveries to 829,608.

The death toll climbed to 16,265 with 124 new fatalities.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.