DOLE reminds Filipinos in Hong Kong to stay alert amid fresh protests
Robie de Guzman • October 10, 2019 • 410
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) reminds Filipinos in Hong Kong anew to stay alert and cautious amid escalating protests and public disruptions in the area.
DOLE reiterated its reminder after it received fresh reports on the series of protest actions resulting to disruptions in public transport and business activities in various parts of the region.
“We are again urging all our OFWs in Hong Kong to exercise caution by staying indoors and keeping away from the locations where protest activities are taking place,” Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III said in a statement released on Wednesday.
Based on the latest advisory issued by the Philippine Consulate General in Hong Kong, below are the areas and dates when protests are reportedly to be held:
10 October: Tsim Sha Tsui Police Station 12 October: New Town Plaza Shatin 13 October: Victoria Park and Edinburgh Place 14 October: Edinburgh Place and Chater Garden 16 October: Resumption of Legislative Council 20 October: The Riverpark Tai Wai to Shatin 21 October: Yuen Long MTR Station 26 October: Tamar Park Admiralty 31 October: Prince Edward MTR Station
Bello also reminded Filipino workers in Hong Kong to refrain from wearing black or white colored upper garments while on the streets to avoid being mistaken as protesters.
The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) earlier issued an advisory on fresh protests in Hong Kong, adding that these demonstrations are expected to continue throughout the month. The DFA also reminded Filipinos in Hong kong anew to not participate in, and to stay away from protest areas.
The labor chief assured it continues to monitor developments in the area.
HONG KONG – The Philippine Consulate General’s office confirmed on Thursday (February 20) that the Filipino maid who contracted the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is now in stable condition.
“Maganda ang kaniyang disposisyon at hindi siya kinakikitaan ng sintomas ng sakit gaya ng sipon, ubo, at lagnat (Her disposition is good and she is not showing signs of illness like cold, cough or fever),” the Consulate General’s office said in a statement.
“Siya ay nasa mabuting kalagayan (She is in good condition),” the office confirmed.
The Pinay worker, however, is still not allowed to accept visitors as the results of the series of tests on her samples are still pending.
The Consulate preferred not to disclose the identity of the Filipino helper as requested by the patient herself but the office assured to provide her the necessary assistance on the course of her recovery.
Meanwhile, the Consulate General’s Office reiterates its appeal to the public not to spread fake news on social media so as not to cause panic.
“Muli rin pong nanawagan ang Konsulado na iwasan ang pagpapakalat ng mga ‘fake news’ o anumang impormasyon na hindi beripikado (The Consulate Office reiterates our call (on Filipinos) to avoid spreading fake news or any unverified information),” the Consulate General’s office stressed.
“Ito po ay upang maiwasan ang alarma at pagaalala lalo na ng ating mga mahal sa buhay (So as not to cause alarm and panic among our relatives),” it added.
Official information and updates regarding the situation of Filipinos in Hong Kong in relation to COVID-19 outbreak may be accessed on their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/PHLinHK/.
MANILA, Philippines — Filipino household helpers may now return to their employers in Hong Kong after the Philippine government ordered a partial lifting of the travel ban amid the outbreak of coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
Foreign Affairs Undersecretary Brigido Dulay confirmed the order on Tuesday (February 18) as Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo noted that the partial lifting was in response to the mounting requests from returning workers to Hong Kong.
“There had been persistent requests from the OFWs (overseas Filipino workers) themselves,” he said.
“In fact, I received one call that he was fired from that position because he has not gone back, maybe that’s the reason why,” he added.
However, confusions emerged over the terms and conditions for their return, specifically the government’s requirement that they sign a written declaration acknowledging the risk of coronavirus infection if they head to the administrative territory.
“With the exemption, OFWs returning to Hong Kong and Macau shall be required to execute a declaration which states that they are aware of the risks involved,” the DFA said in an advisory.
“Newly-hired Filipino employees are likewise exempted from the ban as long as they also sign the form that can be obtained from the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA),” it added.
Nonetheless, Foreign Affairs Secretary Teddy Locsin assured that despite the risk, the government will always be ready to provide them assistance even as one Filipino maid has been confirmed positive for the virus.
“Don’t worry, they’ll sign health waivers but we won’t waive our obligation to take care of them wherever they are,” Locsin said.
Aside from the overseas Filipino workers (OFWs), Filipinos with permanent residency status in Macau and China are also allowed to depart as well as Filipino students enrolled there.
Meanwhile, Filipino travelers from China with foreign spouses and their children will also be allowed entry to the Philippines as well as all holders of diplomatic visas subject to a 14-day quarantine period upon arrival.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.