DOLE assures job security for Filipino crew in cruise ship
Aileen Cerrudo • February 18, 2020 • 483
The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) has assured job security for the Filipino crew in the quarantined cruise ship Diamond Princess.
DOLE Usec. Ana Dione. said the labor attache of the Philippines in Japan is already coordinating with the Japanese company that owns the Diamond Princess for the job security of the repatriated Filipino crew.
“Tutulong and DOLE diyan through our POLO [Philippine Overseas Labor Office] offices na i-secure iyong kanilang trabaho, now kung mag-desisyon sila kung babalik o hindi nasa kanila na iyon (DOLE will help through our POLO offices in securing their jobs. Now, it is their decision if they wish to return or not),” she said.
After the 14-day quarantine on Wednesday (February 19), the DOLE said they are prepared to repatriate the over 500 Filipino crew and passengers.
“Exact date ay hindi natin iyan kayang sabihin sa ngayon, (we cannot say the exact date as of now) but we are hoping that within this month,” according to Dione.
The repatriated Filipinos will also undergo the 14-day quarantine period, based on the protocol of the Department of Health (DOH).—AAC (with reports from Dante Amento)
The Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Disease (IATF-EID) has approved the proposed additional budget of the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) for the formal and informal labor sectors affected by the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.
According to IATF-EID Spokesperson Sec. Karlo Nograles they have approved the release of P5 billion budget for DOLE’s cash assistance program.
The aid is seen to help displaced domestic and overseas Filipino workers.
“Sinusuportahan ng IATF ang request ng DOLE para sa release ng P5 billion piso para sa programa ng DOLE tulad ng COVID-19 Adjustment Measures Program (CAMP) for affected overseas Filipino workers and (OFWs) and local workers; Tulong Panghanapbuhay sa ating Displaced or Disadvantaged Workers (TUPAD) Sanitation Project; and the Abot Kamay ang Pagtulong (AKAP) for OFWs program, (The IATF is supporting the request of DOLE to releaseP5 billion for their program like COVID-19 Adjustment Measures Program (CAMP) for affected overseas Filipino workers and (OFWs) and local workers; Tulong Panghanapbuhay sa ating Displaced or Disadvantaged Workers (TUPAD) Sanitation Project; and the Abot Kamay ang Pagtulong (AKAP) for OFWs program)” Nograles said.
Nograles also clarified that DOLE’s assistance is different from the emergency subsidy program of the Department of the Social Welfare and Development (DSWD).
According to DOLE Secretary Silvestre Bello III, the department will provide P10,000 assistance to affected OFWs, documented or undocumented under the DOLE AKAP program.
“We hope to aid all 715,000 workers whose employers numbering close to 30,000 had applied for financial assistance as of today under CAMP. We are ready to process more requests if more establishments will submit their reports,” Bello said. AAC (with reports from Asher Cadapan Jr.)
MANILA, Philippines – Close to 200,000 workers have already received cash aid from the government’s assistance programs to mitigate the impact of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) crisis, the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) said.
In a report, DOLE said around P622 million in assistance funds had been distributed to beneficiaries of the COVID-19 Adjustment Measures Program (CAMP), and the Tulong Panghanapbuhay sa Ating Disadvantaged/Displaced Workers (TUPAD)-Barangay ko, Bahay ko (BKBK) program.
The department said that as of April 4, Saturday, around 102,895 workers from the formal sector have received P5,000 cash assistance under CAMP while nearly 80,000 informal sector employees availed of the TUPAD BKBK program.
DOLE expressed hope to aid mode than 350,000 formal and informal sector workers by the middle of the month under its assistance programs.
The agency also said it would need another P5 billion for the remainder of the month to help more than workers who are currently struggling due to the effects of the enhanced community quarantine against coronavirus.
Based on their field monitoring reports, the number of workers in need of assistance has ballooned to over 600,000.
Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III earlier reiterated that DOLE’s one-time cash assistance for workers amid COVID-19 worries is different from the government’s subsidy program for low-income families to be distributed by the Department of Social Welfare and Development and other concerned agencies mandated in the Bayanihan to Heal as One Act.– RRD (with details from Correspondent Asher Cadapan Jr.)
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) has allowed employers to defer payment of April holiday pay in view of the current national health emergency due to coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
According to Labor Advisory 13-A Series of 2020, employers may opt to defer employees’ pay for April 9, 10, 11 holidays “until such time that the present emergency situation has been abated” and the establishments’ operations have been returned to normal.
Meanwhile, establishments that have totally ceased operation during the enhanced community quarantine period “are exempted from the payment of the holiday pay.”
The advisory, signed by Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III, was issued on Wednesday (April 1).
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.