Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

DOJ: Trillanes amnesty void from the beginning

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Tuesday, September 4th, 2018

(File photo) Senator Antonio Trillanes

 

MANILA, Philippines – Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra clarified on Tuesday (September 4) that the amnesty granted to Senator Antonio Trillanes IV was null and void from the beginning.

“It is actually nullified or declared void ab initio…as if it never existed, never been valid for non-compliance with certain mandatory requirements,” Guevarra said in a press conference amid the chaos after the issue was published on a newspaper of general publication on Tuesday.

Guevarra explained that under Proclamation No. 75 or the General Proclamation of Amnesty issued by the Aquino administration in 2011, a person accused of rebellion like Trillanes should submit under oath an official application for amnesty. Also, there should be an admission of guilt to qualify for such which, the DOJ claimed, Trillanes failed to accomplish.

Following the turn of events, the DOJ is now drafting a formal request to the Makati Regional Trial Court Branch 148 to issue an alias warrant of arrest for the senator.

Meanwhile, Solicitor General Jose Calida denies hand on the matter contrary to the accusations of Trillanes that he masterminded his arrest.

“I don’t know about that. He’s not the judge. He’s not a prosecutor so if he wants to file cases, let him file a case,” Calida said.

Trillanes believes that the sudden move of voiding the amnesty granted to him has something to do with the Senate inquiry into the alleged irregularities in the government contracts won by Calida’s family-owned security firm which he (Trillanes) led also on Tuesday. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Mai Bermudez)

Tags: ,

Trillanes posts bail for libel, sets to leave for U.S. and Europe

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Monday, December 10th, 2018

MANILA, Philippines – Senator Antonio Trillanes IV has posted bail for the libel charges filed by presidential son and former Davao City vice mayor Paulo Duterte.

Trillanes posted P96,000 bail at the Pasay City Regional Trial Court Branch 118 on Monday (December 10) for four counts of libel.

The case stemmed from Trillanes’ statement to the members of the media last year accusing the younger Duterte of extortion involving ride-hailing firms.

Trillanes will be traveling on Tuesday (December 11) to attend a speaking engagement in the U.S. and Europe after the Makati City Regional Trial Court allowed him to leave the country.

Meanwhile, Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra said he already ordered the Bureau of Immigration (BI) to allow Trillanes to travel abroad.

‘My instruction to the BI is clear — if there’s no HDO issued by any court, let Senator Trillanes travel abroad,’ Guevarra said. – UNTV News and Rescue

Tags: ,

DOJ to review PAO plan to upgrade Dengvaxia raps to murder

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Friday, November 9th, 2018

FILE PHOTO: Relatives of Dengvaxia victims crying for Justice

 

QUEZON CITY, Philippines – Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra on Thursday (November 8) said that the Public Attorney’s Office (PAO) is free to formulate its charges on the Dengvaxia case.

PAO Chief Atty. Persida Acosta said they are preparing the evidence that they will be presenting to the Department of Justice (DOJ) to upgrade the Dengvaxia raps from reckless imprudence resulting in multiple homicide to murder.

Respondents of the case are Sanofi Pasteur and former and incumbent officials of the Department of Health (DOH).

 “Ang elements of murder nandito na sa mga ebidensyang ito,” said Acosta.

But Secretary Guevarra said they will resolve the case on the basis of actual evidence.

“The PAO is free to formulate its charges. But the DOJ will resolve on the basis of actual evidence and nothing else,” Guevarra said.

Some parents of the children who died after being vaccinated with Dengvaxia are crying for justice.

 “Kasama ko sya papunta pgh malakas pa sya nakakalakad pa pagbaba namin sa bus wala na syang malay kala ko tulog lang yun pala nalagutan na sya ng hininga,” said Ellena Baldonado who blames her child’s death to Dengvaxia.

“Mabigat po ang nangyari sa anak ko kasi yung anak ko naturukan ng hindi sa akin humingi ng abiso nalaman ko patay na ang anak ko,” cried Annalyn Ibuña also a mother who lost her child allegedly to Dengvaxia vaccination.

Presidential Spokesperson Sec Salvador Panelo said the Palace vows to charge the people behind the Dengvaxia vaccine program.

The palace also expressed its sympathies to the grieving parents.

Panelo also ensured that the president is monitoring the development of the case. – Grace Casin

Tags: , ,

Trillanes to ask Makati court to nullify Proclamation 572

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Tuesday, October 30th, 2018

FILE PHOTO: Senator Antonio Trillanes IV

MAKATI CITY, Philippines – Senator Antonio Trillanes IV will seek the court’s reversal of the Makati court’s resolution declaring President Rodrigo Duterte’s Proclamation 572 as valid.

The said proclamation declared the amnesty granted to Trillanes as “void ab initio” or invalid from the outset.

Makati Regional Trial Court Branch 148 Presiding Judge Andres Soriano in a ruling dated October 22, denied the petition filed by the Department of Justice (DOJ) asking the court to issue an alias warrant of arrest and a hold departure order against Trillanes. The local court, however, upheld the President’s proclamation.

“The senator is contemplating on filing a partial motion for reconsideration to ask the court to nullify the proclamation (572) since they are now trying to use it to undermine or nullify an existing court decision,” explained Atty. Rey Robles, Trillanes’ legal counsel.

Robles argued that the said proclamation was the administration’s tactic to nullify a court decision that has been ruled as final and executory.

The lawyer said such a proclamation is setting a “dangerous precedent” because it seems that the President is being given the power to veto a court decision.

“This couldn’t be allowed because this is setting a dangerous precedent. Imagine if the president has the power to issue proclamation that can nullify long final and executory decisions? It’s like giving the president the power to veto court decisions,” Robles said.

Meanwhile, Malacañang in a statement Tuesday (October 30) said the administration respects the opinion of Trillanes’ camp and will let the court decide on the matter.

“That is his right. We will leave it to the court to decide. We abide by the rule of law,” said Presidential Spokesperson & Chief Presidential Legal Counsel Salvador Panelo.

On Tuesday, Judge Soriano gave Trillanes 15 days to reply to the appeal of the DOJ seeking Branch 148 to reverse its decision not to issue a warrant of arrest and HDO against the senator. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Mai Bermudez)

Tags: ,