Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

DOJ retracts 2017 findings, orders filing of charges vs. Kerwin Espinosa et. al.

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Thursday, July 19th, 2018

FILE PHOTO: Kerwin Espinosa

MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Justice (DOJ) has ordered the filing of drug charges against self-confessed drug supplier Kerwin Espinosa, convicted drug lord Wu Tuan Yan a.k.a Peter Co and four others

In its resolution issued Thursday (July 19), the DOJ panel of prosecutors “found sufficient the positive allegations” against Kerwin and his cohorts for conspiracy to commit illegal drug trade.

This reversed the panel’s decision in 2017 dismissing the case due to the insufficiency of evidence.

Other respondents to the case are Marcelo Adorco, Lovely Impal and Ruel Malindagan.

Espinosa, Co and other respondents will be charged before the Regional Trial Court of Makati City, the resolution stated.

Meanwhile, respondent Peter Lim’s case is pending resolution after the panel granted a separate preliminary investigation. – Mai Bermudez / Marje Pelayo

 

Tags: , ,

CA junks 3 Maguindanao massacre suspects’ bid to turn witness

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Monday, July 30th, 2018

MANILA, Philippines – The Court of Appeals (CA) has upheld its order prohibiting three of the accused in the Maguindanao massacre from turning into state witnesses.

In a resolution dated July 10, the CA former special 13th division dismissed the motion for reconsideration by the Department of Justice (DOJ) to turn police inspector Rex Ariel Diongon, PO1 Rainier Ebus and Mohammad Sangki into witnesses as there were no legitimate grounds to warrant a reversal of the previous order.

Judge Jocelyn Solis-Reyes of Quezon City Regional Trial Court Branch 221 has earlier denied the same petition because the three accused have substantially the same testimonies with other state witnesses. – UNTV News and Rescue

Tags: , ,

DOJ dismisses petitions in Atio Castillo slay case due to “procedural lapses”

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Wednesday, July 18th, 2018

MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Justice (DOJ) dismissed several appeals on its resolution indicting Aegis Juris Fraternity members in line with the death of UST Law student Horacio “Atio” Castillo III last year.

In a resolution dated July 5, the DOJ junked the petition of Atio’s parents Carmina and Horacio Jr. seeking to file criminal charges against UST Law Dean Dean Nilo Davina due to late filing.

Meanwhile, the agency also dismissed petitions for review filed by two of the 10 accused, Marcelino Bagtang and Ralph Trangia, also due to procedural lapses.

Both parties are set to undergo trials in Manila Regional Trial Court Branch 20 on July 24. – Mai Bermudez / Marje Pelayo

Tags: ,

SOJ Guevarra eyes overhaul in the DOJ

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Monday, June 4th, 2018

Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra

 

MANILA, Philippines – Now that his appointment has officially been confirmed, Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra said he may now start a “full speed” maneuver in the Department of Justice (DOJ.)

In his speech during the flag-raising ceremony Monday, June 4, Guevarra thanked DOJ employees for their support in the past two months since he took over the agency.

Guevarra said he is now determined to begin an overhaul in the DOJ’s system.

“I’ll probably start with any organizational matters pertaining to, well, administrative, basically budgetary, personnel movements…but most importantly, the professionalization of our service,” Secretary Guevarra said.

By doing this, the Justice Secretary asked the “cooperation and understanding” from each member of the agency and to “continue to be proud of the Department of Justice.” – UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: ,