DOJ, NBI ready to probe law enforcers over violations in drug operations
Aileen Cerrudo • July 8, 2019 • 608
The Department of Justice (DOJ) and the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) are ready to probe law enforcers who may have committed violations during drug operations.
According to DOJ Secretary Menardo Guevarra they are prepared to investigate authorities who may have committed violations of law related to the government’s anti-drug war campaign.
“The DOJ and the NBI are ready and willing to investigate and prosecute law enforcement agents upon proper complaint by people who have personal knowledge of any wrongdoing by police officers during drug operations until witnesses come forward and testify,” he said in a statement.
This is Guevarra’s response when the Amnesty International called on the Justice department to conduct an investigation related to violations on drug operations.
“There’s no need for Amnesty International to urge us to investigate possible violations of law by law enforcement agents in the conduct of the government’s anti-illegal drug campaign,” he said.
Guevarra reiterated that the police should respect the ‘presumption of regularity’ while performing their duties.—AAC (with reports from Mai Bermudez)
Former Bureau of Corrections chief Nicanor Faeldon allegedly attempted to realign the supposed portion of the agency’s budget which was allocated for the rehabilitation of the prison facilities in Davao, Palawan, and Zamboanga which costs P1-Billion.
This was revealed on Wednesday (November 20) during the Senate hearing on the proposed budget of the Department of Justice.
Senator Sonny Angara said Faeldon purportedly wanted to divert the budget for the Sablayan Detention Facilities in Mindoro.
“He even wrote me asking for the realignment but we told him its not proper for the committee to do that,” Angara said.
Senator Franklin Drilon said although there was nothing wrong with Faeldon’s letter to the Budget Department on his proposed realignment, his intention at that time was dubious.
“But at that time of before the last election, we heard that he was interested in running for an election post in Mindoro. Certainly, to request the realign P1 billion (part of P1 billion) to Sablayan detention facilities in Mindoro is become suspect,” Drilon added. (from the report of Nel Maribojoc) /mbmf
MANILA, Philippines – Vice President Leni Robredo on Wednesday denied President Rodrigo Duterte’s claim that she invited United Nations Human Rights Commission prosecutors to look into the government’s campaign against illegal drugs after she was appointed to co-lead its inter-agency committee.
Robredo said she only met with officers from the United Nations Office of Drugs and Crime, and the United States Embassy in Manila last week to discuss initiatives against illegal drugs.
“Wala akong UN prosecutor na kakilala. Wala akong sinulatan. Wala akong inimbita. Kaya kung may nakarating sa kaniyang may inimbita ako, fake news yun,” she said.
Duterte on Tuesday appeared incensed over a tweet by Phelim Kine, former deputy director for Asia of the New York-based Human Rights Watch, in which he stated his willingness to go to the Philippines to help advise Robredo about her new role as anti-drug committee co-chair.
“Dear VP @lenirobredo – my bags are packed and I’m ready to come to the #Philippines to help advise how to end this murderous “drug war,” Kine said in his tweet posted on Nov. 11.
“Meanwhile here is my Recommendation No. 1: Arrest #Duterte and his henchmen for inciting & instigating mass murder,” he added.
Duterte described Kine as a United Nations prosecutor supposedly invited by Robredo.
“Pati ba naman ‘yang prosecutor and the tweet. Nakita ko yung tweet eh. ‘I am packed and ready to go to arrest Duterte.’ Yan ang imbitahin mo? Ganun ang salita sa akin?” he said.
“She invited even ang mga prosecutor ng Human Rights Commission which we rebuked. Bakit papupuntahin dito ang mga prosecutors and all? She was grandstanding na. It was like a carnival, she was talking right and left na,” he added.
Duterte has been sensitive to criticisms against his administration’s war on drugs, and even decided to withdraw the Philippines’ ratification of the Rome Statute, a United Nations (UN) treaty that created the International Criminal Court following its move in 2018 to launch a preliminary probe on claims that Duterte committed crimes against humanity through his war on drugs.
In July 2019, The United Nations Human Rights Council adopted a resolution led by Iceland, seeking to probe the human rights situation in the Philippines amid the administration’s war on drugs.
MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Justice (DOJ) has closed the trial on the charges filed against former Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief Oscar Albayalde and 13 policemen tagged as ninja cops.
The case is now submitted for resolution and the DOJ panel will release the resolution once it finds probable cause to pursue with the charges.
Albayalde and 13 other cops are facing corruption charges and violations of the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002 due to an anomalous drug raid in Mexico, Pampanga in 2013 where the cops allegedly ‘recycled’ the confiscated illegal drugs.
Albayalde denied the allegations and claimed that the case should be dismissed.
He was the Provincial Director of Pampanga Police when the controversial anti-drug operations happened.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.