DOJ indicts 9 cops involved in Jolo shooting

Aileen Cerrudo   •   January 4, 2021   •   245

The Departmet of Justice (DOJ) has found probable cause to indict the nine cops involve in shooting the four military men in Jolo, Sulu last June 29, 2020.

The Justice Department has recommended the filing of charges against PSMS. Abdelzhimar Padjiri, PMSg. Hanie Baddiri, PSSg. Iskandar Susulan, PSSg. Ernisar Sappal, PCpl. Sulki Andaki, Pat. Moh Nur Pasani, PSSg. Admudzrin Hadjaruddin, Pat. Alkajal Mandangan, and Pat. Rajiv Putalan with four counts of murder over the killing of four members of the Philippine Army.

“I understand that the accused police officers have been dismissed from the service, so the court should immediately obtain jurisdiction over their person, lest they be able to flee,” according to DOJ Secretary Menardo Guevarra.

Meanwhile, the DOJ has also recommended the dismissal of the three Sulu Police officials PCol. Michael Bayawan, Jr., PMaj. Walter Annayo and PCapt. Ariel Corcino for command responsibility. AAC (with reports from Dante Amento)

DOJ orders NBI to probe PNP-PDEA ‘misencounter’

Robie de Guzman   •   February 25, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Justice (DOJ) has directed the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) to conduct its own probe into the shooting incident that transpired between members of the Philippine National Police (PNP) and the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) on Wednesday night.

The shooting incident between operatives of the PNP and PDEA occurred near a mall along Commonwealth Avenue in Quezon City.

“This is separate and distinct from the probe to be conducted by an ad hoc joint PNP-PDEA board of inquiry earlier announced by PNP chief Debold Sinas,” Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra said in a message to reporters.

“I gave them (NBI) 10 days to submit a report,” he added.

Sinas earlier said that a joint PNP-PDEA Board of Inquiry has been created to determine what transpired and who should be held liable for the incident.

The PNP chief appointed the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) as the lead investigating body, while the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) has been designated “to speak on any updates from the PNP in order to keep the public updated with accurate and relevant information.” – RRD (with details from Correspondent Dante Amento)

Up to NBI to include Mon Tulfo in probe on use of unauthorized COVID-19 vaccine, DOJ says

Robie de Guzman   •   February 25, 2021

Special Envoy to China Ramon Tulfo

MANILA, Philippines – Department of Justice (DOJ) Secretary Menardo Guevarra said he will leave it to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) to decide on whether to include special envoy to China Ramon Tulfo in its ongoing probe on the alleged illegal inoculations of COVID-19 vaccines in the country.

Tulfo earlier admitted that he was administered last year with Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccine, which is still unregistered in the Philippines.

“I do not dictate upon the NBI as to how it should conduct its investigation. I will leave it to the NBI to determine if it’s necessary or relevant to invite Ramon Tulfo to shed light on the matter,” Guevarra said in a message to reporters on Wednesday, February 24.

Guevarra earlier directed the NBI to conduct a probe into the alleged importation, entry, sale, distribution, and administration of COVID-19 vaccines that are not authorized by or registered with the Food and Drug Administration.

He also ordered the agency “to file appropriate charges against all persons involved and found responsible for any unlawful act” in connection with the matter.

According to the DOJ chief, the NBI has yet to submit a report about its investigation.

“I have no info on whether the NBI has in fact completed its probe; that’s why I’m asking for a progress report,” he said.

Guevarra earlier said that a private person who voluntarily agrees to be inoculated with an unregistered vaccine is answerable only to himself.

But a higher sense of ethical responsibility is demanded of a public officer who is expected not only to follow but also to uphold the law, he added. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Dante Amento)

PNP confirms manhunt ops for dismissed cops involved in Jolo shooting

Aileen Cerrudo   •   January 25, 2021

MANILA, Philippines—The Philippine National Police (PNP) has confirmed that manhunt operations are underway against the nine dismissed cops involved in the shooting of four military men in Jolo, Sulu.

PNP chief PGen. Debold Sinas also confirmed that the nine cops are now in Jolo, Sulu based on the latest report of the tracker team of the Police Regional Office Bangsamoro Autonomous Region-Criminal Investigation and Detection Group.

Hinihintay namin ang [resulta ng] manhunt at nasa Jolo na according to last report nandoon sila sa Jolo. Lahat nakauwi na (We are waiting for the result of the manhunt and they are in Jolo, according to the last report. They have returned to Jolo),” he said.

Sinas also added negotiations are still underway for the involved cops who wish to surrender.

Sabi ko as long as they surrender wala akong problema, but the manhunt still ongoing (I said as long as they surrender, I have no problem, but the manhunt is still ongoing),” he said.

Last January 14, a warrant of arrest against the nine former cops were released by the Sulu Regional Trial Court.

They are being charged for shooting four military men who were investigating two suspected suicide bombers last June 29, 2020. -AAC (with reports from Lea Ylagan)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.