DOJ hopes SC will rule on merit, not personalities behind petitions vs anti-terror law
Robie de Guzman • July 24, 2020 • 597
MANILA, Philippines – Department of Justice (DOJ) Secretary Menardo Guevarra on Friday expressed hope that the Supreme Court will resolve the questions on the legality of Anti-Terrorism Law of 2020 based on the merits, and not the number and personalities behind lawsuits.
“All these petitions, no matter how many they are, will boil down to a common set of constitutional issues. The Supreme Court will resolve these issues on the merits of the arguments advanced by the parties concerned, and not on the basis of their number or personal or professional stature,” Guevarra said.
At least 16 petitions have been filed before the Supreme Court against the controversial measure which came into effect this month.
Among those who questioned the validity of the law were law professors and former officials of the Executive branch and retired Supreme Court Justices.
The petitioners questioned the vague and broad provisions of the law that may lead to arbitrary and discriminatory enforcement and malicious prosecution of innocent people.
Petitioners also urged the high court to declare the entire law unconstitutional and to stop its implementation.
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Justice (DOJ) has directed the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) to conduct its own probe into the shooting incident that transpired between members of the Philippine National Police (PNP) and the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) on Wednesday night.
The shooting incident between operatives of the PNP and PDEA occurred near a mall along Commonwealth Avenue in Quezon City.
“This is separate and distinct from the probe to be conducted by an ad hoc joint PNP-PDEA board of inquiry earlier announced by PNP chief Debold Sinas,” Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra said in a message to reporters.
“I gave them (NBI) 10 days to submit a report,” he added.
Sinas earlier said that a joint PNP-PDEA Board of Inquiry has been created to determine what transpired and who should be held liable for the incident.
The PNP chief appointed the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) as the lead investigating body, while the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) has been designated “to speak on any updates from the PNP in order to keep the public updated with accurate and relevant information.” – RRD (with details from Correspondent Dante Amento)
MANILA, Philippines – Department of Justice (DOJ) Secretary Menardo Guevarra said he will leave it to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) to decide on whether to include special envoy to China Ramon Tulfo in its ongoing probe on the alleged illegal inoculations of COVID-19 vaccines in the country.
Tulfo earlier admitted that he was administered last year with Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccine, which is still unregistered in the Philippines.
“I do not dictate upon the NBI as to how it should conduct its investigation. I will leave it to the NBI to determine if it’s necessary or relevant to invite Ramon Tulfo to shed light on the matter,” Guevarra said in a message to reporters on Wednesday, February 24.
Guevarra earlier directed the NBI to conduct a probe into the alleged importation, entry, sale, distribution, and administration of COVID-19 vaccines that are not authorized by or registered with the Food and Drug Administration.
He also ordered the agency “to file appropriate charges against all persons involved and found responsible for any unlawful act” in connection with the matter.
According to the DOJ chief, the NBI has yet to submit a report about its investigation.
“I have no info on whether the NBI has in fact completed its probe; that’s why I’m asking for a progress report,” he said.
Guevarra earlier said that a private person who voluntarily agrees to be inoculated with an unregistered vaccine is answerable only to himself.
But a higher sense of ethical responsibility is demanded of a public officer who is expected not only to follow but also to uphold the law, he added. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Dante Amento)
MANILA, Philippines—The oral arguments on the Anti-Terrorism Law has been moved to March 2.
In an advisory, the Supreme Court announced that several justices are undergoing self-quarantine as a safety precaution against the coronavirus disease (COVID-19). According to a source, one of the justices tested positive for COVID-19.
The en banc session set for Tuesday (February 23) is also suspended.
Meanwhile, petitioners want to raise new developments to the SC regarding their request for a Temporary Restraining Order (TRO) on the Anti-Terrorism Bill.
One of the petitioners’ lawyers, Atty. Edcel Lagman said they want to include the alleged ‘red-tagging’ of one of the generals of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP).
“For the first time in history petitioners and their counsel before this honorable court are seriously threatened with persecution under the challenged statute by no less than military general who is part of the state enforcing the controverted ATA,” he said. AAC (with reports from Dante Amento)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.