Currency
    Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

    DOJ to file charges vs Dumlao and others over Jee Ick Joo case

    by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Wednesday, April 19th, 2017

    The Philippine National Police have placed under restrictive custody an officer from the Anti-Illegal Drugs Group who allegedly abducted a Korean businessman, Ick Joo Jee, (in photo) in Angeles, Pampanga on October.

    FILE PHOTO: Korean businessman, Ick Joo Jee.

    MANILA — The Department of Justice (DOJ) has released its resolution on the case of Korean businessman Jee Ick Joo who was kidnapped and killed inside Camp Crame in October 2016.

    On a 50-page resolution, the DOJ recommended the filing of charges against Police Superintendent Rafael Dumlao III and Jerry Omlang as primary suspects in the abduction and killing of Jee.

    The Justice Department has also recommended the filing of charges against retired policeman Gerardo Santiago as an accessory to crime.

    The DOJ prosecution panel has also affirmed its resolution on January 17, 2017.

    The said resolution finds probable cause in the kidnapping for ransom with homicide cases filed against another accused SPO3 Ricky Sta. Isabel and SPO4 Roy Villegas.

    The DOJ recommended the filing of carnapping charges against Sta. Isabel, Dumlao, Omlang, Villegas and a John Doe for stealing a ford explorer unit registered under Wontech Philippine International Corporation. The said vehicle was used in the crime.

    Meanwhile, the Justice Department has ordered the dismissal of  cases against Ramon Yalung, Atty. Ricardo Diaz, Atty. Jose Yap, Roel Bolivar, PSupt. Allan Macapagal, Chistopher Gruenberg, Epephany Gotera, Teodelito Taripe, Kevin Enriquez, Robert Tobias and Bernard Maraya due to lack of probable cause in the cases filed against them.

    Meanwhile, the PNP supports the Department of Justice, expressing high hopes that this development will help in unveiling the truth behind the killing of the Korean businessman.

    “The PNP is one with the DOJ in giving justice to the family of the victim. The filing of charges against Supt. Rafael Dumlao will bolster the findings of the AKG investigation of his participation in the commission of the crime,” said PNP PIO chief PSSupt. Dionardo Carlos.  — Nel Maribojoc | UNTV News & Rescue

    Tags: , , , , ,

    Leave a Reply

    Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

    DOJ denies Faeldon’s motion to transfer his case to the Ombudsman

    by UNTV News   |   Posted on Friday, October 20th, 2017

    jurisdiction on drug-related charges

    MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Justice (DOJ) has maintained that they have jurisdiction on drug-related charges even when high-ranking officials are involved.

    This as the DOJ rejected the motion of former Customs Commissioner Nicanor Faeldon asking for the transfer of the investigation on his case to the Ombudsman.

    Faeldon is one of the respondents in PDEA’s complaint for allegedly conspiring to smuggle over 600 kilos of shabu which was recovered in Valenzuela City.

    The DOJ has previously rejected a similar motion of Sen. Leila de Lima in relation to her illegal drug trading case.

    During Thursday’s hearing, Faeldon and other former Customs officials submitted their counter-affidavits.

    Faeldon said the allegation that he conspired to smuggle the drug shipment from China is baseless.

    He pointed out the principal complainant Norman Balquiedra has no personal knowledge of the events.

    Former Customs Intelligence chief Niel Estrella insisted that their inspection on the warehouse where the drug shipment was seized was legal.

    He added, the operation was properly coordinated with PDEA and they did not spoil the evidence.

    Forwarding company owner Richard Tan also maintained his innocence.

    In fact, he claims to be the informant that led the authorities to the drug shipment.

    “It’s a pity he was the one who help our agencies to seize the drugs and yet he was the one being charged now,” Tan’s lawyer Atty. Abraham Gutoc said.

    “It seems that Richard Tan is being made a convenient scapegoat, a convenient excuse,” he added.

    The DOJ will resume the investigation on November 3. – Roderic Mendoza | UNTV News & Rescue

    Tags: , , , , ,

    PNP finalizes report to clarify issues of alleged extrajudicial killings in the country

    by UNTV   |   Posted on Friday, October 20th, 2017

    FILE PHOTO: National Headquarters of the Philippine National Police

    MANILA, Philippines — For the last time, the Philippine National Police (PNP) sought to clarify anew the issue of the alleged extrajudicial killings in the country.

    To do this, the PNP is completing now a report that would clarify the reasons behind the deaths of more than 10,000 drug suspects in various parts of the country, which critics claim, are state-sponsored killings.

    The Commission on Human Rights (CHR) has initially sought to conduct a similar probe, but President Rodrigo Duterte himself prohibited the plan.

    “How do we now know ngayon kung ano yung sinasabi nilang EJK? Kasi ang sa atin po ay ano yung krimen na naganap, pag may krimen na naganap sino ang perpetrator? State or non state? Ngayon isa pa, iniimbistigahan ba yan o hindi?”  said PNP PIO chief PCSupt. Dionardo Carlos.

    (How do we  know now what this EJK is that they are talking about? Because for us, it’s about the crime committed, and if it was committed, who was the perpetrator?State or non-state? Another one is, are these being investigated or not)

    According to the PNP, the thousands of deaths cannot be considered as extrajudicial killings or EJK since the cases are still under investigation.

    If a cop is proven involved in a killing, the PNP explained that it will fall under the category of murder and not EJK.

    For now, authorities have already resolved more than 6,000 cases of deaths, meaning these are already in courts, and the suspects are now facing charges.

    Through the said report, the public can know what happened behind the anti-illegal drugs operations of the PNP.

    “What we do is analyze what is happening and report, give out strategies give out this report to the public. We see no plot to cover up,” said the police.

    Meanwhile, the PNP will turn over death cases involving illegal drugs to the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA). — Mon Jocson | UNTV News & Rescue

     

    Tags: , , , , ,

    Solano’s testimony in Senate can be used as evidence in Atio hazing case – DOJ Aguirre

    by UNTV News   |   Posted on Tuesday, October 17th, 2017

    John Paul Solano

    MANILA, Philippines – The Senate may release Wednesday the testimony of John Paul Solano, the principal suspect in the death of Horacio “Atio” Castillo III.

    Solano’s statements should be confidential since it was given in an executive session with the Senators.

    But the Senate last week adopted a resolution that will allow its release if Solano fails to submit a sworn affidavit during the preliminary investigation of the DOJ.

    Sec. Vitaliano Aguirre said this could be a big help to explain Atio’s death in a suspected hazing incident.

    “If it is released, it will shed more light on what really happened during the initiation rites of the Aegis Fraternity,” Aguirre said.

    Aguirre further said the testimony could be used as evidence in the ongoing investigation.

    Solano is the one who brought Atio to the hospital where he was declared dead on arrival.

    “Since they decided to release it, there is legal basis for it. Otherwise, why would they release it without any legal basis and if it would be inadmissible,” Aguirre added.

    During the last hearing, Solano’s lawyer asked the DOJ to strike the testimony he had given to Manila Police out from the records of the case,

    Saying it was not properly subscribed to by his client.

    DOJ will resume preliminary investigation on the case next Tuesday. – Roderic Mendoza | UNTV News & Rescue

    Tags: , , ,