FILE PHOTO: Fire-cracker injury
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Health (DOH) is expecting more cases of firecracker-related injuries until the first week of next year.
In line with this, the DOH advises merry-makers to immediately go to the nearest hospital and seek medical help once hurt by firecracker to prevent tetanus infection.
Health Undersecretary Eric Domingo explains that any open wound such as burn or a cut caused by a firecracker is more likely to attract tetanus infection.
“Basta tayo ay naputukan kahit minor lang siya nasunog tayo kailangan talagang pumunta sa hospital kasi bibigyan ka ng anti- tetanus na injection kasama iyong toxoid at anti- tetanus serum,” Usec. Domingo said.
Domingo said only a few patients survive tetanus infection especially if the patient has not received the anti-tetanus vaccine.
Suspected cases of tetanus infection can be determined if a cut or a wound is followed by:
Stiffness of the neck, jaw, and other muscles, often accompanied by a distorted, grinning expression; difficulty swallowing; irritability; and uncontrollable spasms of the jaw commonly known as ‘lockjaw’.
Domingo said it is better to act ahead before the symptoms of tetanus infection manifest.
“Talagang nakakamatay po ang tetano. Maninigas. Iyong kanilang panga ay hindi gumagalaw. Nagku- kumbulsyon at sa katagalan ay namamatay within a week siguro or a few days so gusto natin i- prevent iyan,” the health official said.
In case of firework-related injuries, follow these three simple first-aid tips.
First, wash the injured part of the body with clean water.
Second, wrap the wound using clean cloth and bring the victim to the hospital immediately.
Third and for big wounds, use alkaline soap to clean the wound. Do not apply toothpaste or anything to the wound or burn.
As of press time, the DOH has recorded a total of 24 firecracker-related injuries since December 21, still lower than the same period last year.
Most of the victims are males age 2 to 49 years old.
The DOH has again reminded the public to refrain from purchasing and using strong and unauthorized firecrackers to be able to welcome the new year with a smile. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Aiko Miguel)
Firecracker-related injuries decline by 52% at 236 cases – DOH
A victim of firecracker piccolo
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Health (DOH) noted a significant decline in the number of firecracker-related injuries from December 21, 2018 to January 2, 2019.
This year’s tally, the DOH said, was 256, which is lower than the same period last year which was 492.
DOH Undersecretary Eric Domingo noted, however, that there were still severe cases recorded this year.
“Mayroon pa rin tayong walong naputulan ng daliri. May 61 na tinamaan sa mata. Gusto pa rin natin na bumaba ito,” Domingo said,
Based on DOH’s record, Metro Manila tops the regions with the highest number of firecracker-related injuries, followed by Ilocos Region and Western Visayas.
Meanwhile, skyrockets or ‘kwitis’ tops the list of injury-causing firecrackers.
“Mayroon pa rin tayong piccolo, boga, at luces…5-star ang pinaka-common pa rin na injuries this year,” the health official said.
Health Secretary Francisco Duque III previously emphasized the strict implementation of firecracker zones because most firecracker-related injuries happen in streets or at home.
“So masaya tayo. Relatively speaking mababa. Pero mas masaya kung zero casualty. So palagay ko darating din ang panahon na zero casualty tayo. Mayroon tayong hinahabol na modelo ang Davao City,” Duque said noting Davao City for its record of zero-casualty in welcoming the new year.
Duque noted that most of the victims were high in alcohol.
Some were hurt while smoking cigarettes that sparked the firecracker.
Aside from firecracker ban, the DOH also encourages the public to do away from vices particularly drinking alcohol.
“Iyong manginginom kung pwede itigil ninyo na rin iyan. Dati may sinasabi safe amount of drinking alcohol. Wala ng safe amount kahit na small amount ay meron din banta sa ating kalusugan kaya itigil na natin iyan,” Duque concluded. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Aiko Miguel)
‘Boga’ or PVC cannon tops list of injury-causing firecrackers; number of victims decline by 50% – DOH
Boga | Photo: Gintong Pluma at English Wikipedia
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Health (DOH) recorded a total of 55 firecracker-related injuries as of Sunday morning (December 30).
Most of the victims, 13 of them, were injured after using ‘boga’ which makes it the number one injury-causing firecracker at present.
“Ang talagang top natin ngayon iyong boga dahil mas uncontrolled siya, unsafe siya. Pangalawa iyong ating mga trianggulo iyong parang labentador na malaki at tsaka kwitis,” said DOH USec Eric Domingo.
Despite this, Domingo noted the significant decline in the number of firecracker-related cases this year which is lower by 50% than the same period last year and a record low of 75% or 166 cases as compared to the record in the past five years.
Alongside the implementation of Executive Order 28 which bans the use of firecracker in the country, many Filipinos have acknowledged the harm and damage that firecrackers may cause that’s why they prefer not to attempt using it just to join the festivities.
Several Filipinos say they would rather watch fireworks display than to risk using firecrackers.
Ayoko po baka kasi maputukan ako. Mapuputol po ang kamay ko,” said John Mark Saludo.
“Gastos lang iyan kapag bumili ka ng paputok. Meron kaming tururot para sa mga bata para walang aksidente,” noted Gaudencio Fermajo.
“Sa bahay lang ako siyempre doon lang ako mag-kain. Hindi ako magpapaputok kasi ayaw ko masugatan ang kamay ko. May Diabetes ako,” said Nony Suarez.
“Bawal nga iyan. Mahuhuli tayo diyan mahirap iyon. Pwede iyon na lang pagsalubong sa bagong taon, torotot at saka magsisisigaw na lang ako,” Moling Magan said.
Meanwhile, the DOH constantly reminds the public to refrain from using firecrackers so as not to add to the casualties and to welcome the new year safe.
“Nakikiusap pa rin kami sa ating mga kababayan na sana po iwasan na ang mga paputok. Ito ay injury at mga kapansanan na maaari talaga nating ma- prevent. Huwag tayong gumastos ng pera na susunugin lang tapos iyong mga anak pa natin iyong mapipinsala at magkakaroon ng kapansanan. Marami pong ibang paraan naman para salubungin ang bagong taon,” Usec. Domingo said. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Aiko Miguel)
Piccolo tops list of dangerous firecrackers, causes of injuries
MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine National Police (PNP) and the Department of Health (DOH) remind the public to avoid firecracker disasters in welcoming the new year.
Health Undersecretary Eric Domingo said that they want to reduce the number of firecracker victims this year.
Last year, there were 463 recorded firecracker-related injuries, which was 164 lower than 627 cases in 2016.
“Mag-iingat lang. Ang common kasi yung puputok habang hawak pa or kinabukasan nagkaka-injuries din tayo kasi ang mga bata naman ay mamumulot, titingnan kung alin yung mga hindi pumutok tapos tsaka sila masasabugan. Kung sinindihan natin at ‘di sya sumabog hayaan na natin at wag na natin siyang balikan,” said Domingo.
Piccolo topped the list of the main causes of firecracker injury followed by kwitis and other unidentified firecrackers.
Manila had the highest number of firecracker-related injuries with 116 cases or 47% while Quezon City had 30 or 12%.
Eighteen (18) cases were hand fractures; 80 were eye injuries; and 377 were firecracker burns.
Authorities remind that the banned firecrackers include Watusi, Piccolo, and over sized and loud firecrackers such as Super Lolo, Goodbye Philippines, Giant Whistle Bomb and others.
“We are intensifying our intelligence efforts para as much as possible ay hindi lang yung streets and also the source. Hindi mo kailangang gumawa ng paputok para hulihin ka by mere possession of those phosphorous item are already prohibited and punishable by law,” said PNP FEO Director PCSupt. Val De Leon.
De Leon said that if the public cannot be stopped on firecracker use, authorities recommend the use of approved firecrackers in designated firecracker zones in every barangays. — Marje Pelayo (with reports from Bernard Dadis)