DOH-Retained hospitals on code white alert effective Dec. 21

Marje Pelayo   •   December 20, 2018   •   3517

MANILA, Philippines – Days before the year-end revelry starts, the Department of Health (DOH) has announced on Thursday (December 20) that all DOH-Retained hospitals across the country will be on ‘Code White Alert‘ starting Friday (December 21).

Health Undersecretary Eric Domingo said the Code White Alert will be lifted on January 4, 2019.

Under Code White Alert, all hospital manpower is placed under on-call status for immediate mobilization to any emergency situation.

By hospital manpower includes general and orthopedic surgeons, anesthesiologists, internists, operating room nurses, as well as emergency service, nursing and administrative personnel residing at the hospital dormitory.

Currently, there are 70 DOH-Retained hospitals and 17 regional health offices across the country.

Meanwhile, the DOH calls on the public, especially parents, to prevent their children from buying and using illegal firecrackers specifically piccolo this holiday season.

Last year, the DOH recorded a total of 463 firecracker-related injuries from the year-end merrymakings.

Most of the victims were children age 10 to 14 who suffered injuries due to use of piccolo.

In line with this, the DOH will also begin its monitoring and tallying of firecracker-related injuries tomorrow until January 5, 2019. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Aiko Miguel)

DOH orders public hospital to increase bed capacity for COVID-19 patients

Marje Pelayo   •   July 22, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — One after the other, major hospitals in Metro Manila last week declared full capacity of its designated beds for COVID-19 patients.

According to their respective statements, the hospitals fear that operations would collapse with the daily surge of COVID-19 patients.

Thus, the Department of Health (DOH) has required all public hospitals to increase their bed capacity to accommodate more COVID-19 patients.

“ [For] public hospitals, we require them to allocate 30 percent of their bed capacity for COVID-19 patients,” said Heath Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire.

Kapag nag-surge ang cases, 50 percent [dapat], at ‘pag kailangan pa, dapat 70 percent of their bed capacity should be allocated for COVID-19 patients, [When cases surge, hospitals’ bed capacity for COVID-19 patients should be 50 percent and if necessary, 70 percent),” she added.

Private hospitals, meanwhile, are required to initially allot 20 percent of their bed capacity for COVID-19 patients and if necessary, expand further to 30 percent bed capacity as dictated by the “One Hospital Command” launched by the DOH.

Under the program, an incident command system network between hospitals will be established to coordinate transfers in case one hospital can no longer accommodate incoming COVID-19 patients.

“That is our answer to this problem, the One Hospital Command. Kasi kung di magtutulong tulong bawat mga ospital both public and private in a specific locality, we will not be able to have this proper referral system,” Vergeire expalined.

Gaya ng puno na ICU ng hospital, kapag di nya maaccept ang isang pasyente, meron silang incident command system, kung saan ibabato lang nila ang pasyente, enroll the details and ang system ang maghahanap kung saan pwedeng dalin among all of the hospitals in NCR,” she added.

The official noted that due to the rising number of COVID-19 cases, government hospitals like Lung Center of the Philippines, Philippine Children’s Medical Center, Dr. Jose Fabella Memorial Hospital, Heart Center and other hospitals for specific specialization also have been accepting COVID-19 patients in response to the demand after major hospitals declared full bed capacity. MNP (with reports from Aiko Miguel)

Philippines eyes 30,000 daily COVID-19 tests by end of May

Robie de Guzman   •   May 12, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Health (DOH) is eyeing to achieve 30,000 daily tests for novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) by the end of the month as it works to ramp up the country’s testing capacity.

The DOH set the target after it finally attained its first target to conduct 8,000 COVID-19 tests in a day.

On Sunday, May 10, the agency reported it has conducted 8,637 tests in one day. This is, however, 10 days past its target date of April 30.

According to Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire, the tests were done on 158,176 unique individuals.

She explained that one of the causes of the delay was the slow processing of samples after the Research Institute for Tropical Medicine (RITM) had to scale down its operations in April when over 40 of its medical staff contracted COVID-19.

The RITM has since returned to normal operations after most of its personnel recovered from the disease.

So far, the Philippines has 26 accredited laboratories capable of detecting the strain of coronavirus strain that causes COVID-19.

Vergeire said they are eyeing to open additional testing facilities to reach its target of 30,000 daily tests.

This way, the country will be able to improve efforts on contact tracing, isolation and treatment of COVID-19 patients to effectively curb the spread of the disease.

“Hindi pa po tapos ang laban ng World War C (COVID-19) sa bawa’t bagong impormasyon bawa’t bagong teknolohiyang nadidiskubre upang malabanan ang COVID-19 tayo’y dapat maging manatiling alerto dahil ang bawa’t bagay na nagagawa natin ay mayron buhay na mailigtas,” Vergeire said.

To date, the Philippines has recorded 11,086 confirmed coronavirus infections, with 726 deaths and 1,999 recovered patients. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Aiko Miguel)

DOH issues safety tips for the long weekend

Maris Federez   •   October 29, 2019

People visit the graves of their departed loved ones at a public cemetery in Manila, Philippines, 01 November 2018. EPA-EFE/MARK R. CRISTINO

The Department of Health (DOH) has issued some safety tips in going to memorial parks for the long weekend holiday.

The DOH said it is wise to bring own bottled water and food when going to memorial parks to ensure that they are clean and to avoid acquiring food-borne diseases from street foods.

The health department also reminded the public to be sure that the water they bring is enough to avoid dehydration.

It also said it is prudent to bring an umbrella to be shielded from the blazing sun or the pouring rain.

As healthcare, the DOH advised wearing masks when one has a cough or cold so as not to contaminate others.

The health department is also discouraging parents from bringing their children to crowded places so they can shield their children from diseases.

It added that it is better to have someone who can alternately look after the children in the safety of their homes.

Same tip applies in caring for the elderly, especially those who have heart problems or with hypertension.

Hospitals are also on standby for code white alert of personnel and staff. (from the report of Aiko Miguel) /mbmf

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.