Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

DOH records 7 firecracker-related injuries since December 21

by admin   |   Posted on Monday, December 24th, 2018

 

FILE PHOTO: Fire-cracker injury

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Health (DOH) records seven firecracker-related injuries nationwide since it started its monitoring last Friday, December 21.

DOH reports that three of the patients sustained blast and burn injuries. One sustained eye injury while another needed an amputation. The remaining two are still confined in hospital.

All victims were boys, ranging in age from two to 13 years old.

However, the DOH stressed that the number of cases recorded so far this year is 44 percent lower compared to the figures during the same period in 2017 and 58 percent lower than the average over the past five years.

The department also assures that all its retained hospitals have been placed under code white alert and ready to respond to emergency cases this holiday season.  — UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: ,

DOH declares dengue alert in several regions

by Aileen Cerrudo   |   Posted on Monday, July 15th, 2019

The Department of Health (DOH) has declared “national dengue alert” on Monday (July 15) after recording a spike in reported dengue cases in several regions.

According to Health Secretary Francisco Duque III, there is an 85 percent increase in the number of dengue cases in the country, from January 1 to June 29, 2019. From 57,564 reported cases in the same period last year, it spiked to 106,630 this year.

Among the regions included in the national dengue alert are Regions I, II, IV-A, V, VIII, IX, XI. BARMM, and CAR.

“The top among the regions would be Western Visayas, followed by Calabarzon, Central Visayas, Soccsksargen and Northern Mindanao. There is no national epidemic but there is certainly regional” added Duque.

Duque said they also want to raise awareness in communities where dengue cases are evident.—AAC

Tags: , ,

DOH pushes for mandatory vaccination of children anew

by Robie de Guzman   |   Posted on Wednesday, July 10th, 2019

FILE PHOTO: Some medical experts said the number of people getting vaccinated has dropped to 50- 80% when the issue of Dengvaxia Vaccine broke out.

MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Health (DOH) on Tuesday (July 9) pushed for the implementation of mandatory immunization of children anew amid slumping vaccination coverage due to the controversial dengue vaccine, Dengvaxia.

During a school-based immunization program in Valenzuela City, Health Francisco Duque III stressed the importance of vaccination among schoolchildren to protect them from various diseases.

He said he has been pushing to make immunization mandatory in the country but the proposal is still up for discussion with stakeholders and lawmakers.

“I think we can push for that but like most other pieces of legislation, this has to undergo broad and deep consultations,” Duque said.

The government’s immunization coverage suffered a decline by 30 percent in 2018 due to Dengvaxia scare.

The health official previously suggested for the government to seriously consider compulsory vaccination of children following the outbreak of measles in Metro Manila, Central Luzon, Calabarzon (Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal, and Quezon) and Western Visayas.

Duque said the proposed mandatory immunization program will only provide proven safe vaccine shots against polio, Diptheria, measles, tuberculosis and human papillomavirus (HPV).

Valenzuela City Representative Wes Gatchalian agreed with Duque’s sentiments, saying a law is needed to enforce the program.

“It’s a separate legislation. Hindi itong pwedeng isingit na lang sa IRR, isang bagay na hindi na lang natin pwedeng ipasok na lang sa bibig ng mga magulang for them to accept,” Gatchalian said.

The DOH recently relaunched its school-based immunization program which aims to vaccinate some nine million students this year.

READ: DOH eyes vaccinating 9-M children

Duque said the program is eyeing to immunize students from kindergarten to Grade 7 with the measles and rubella vaccine. Students will also be given booster doses of tetanus-diphtheria vaccines.

On Tuesday, the DOH visited the Apolonia Rafael Elementary School in Valenzuela City for its vaccination program. (with details from Aiko Miguel)

Tags: , , ,

PhilHealth to shoulder hospital expenses of victims of food poisoning

by Aileen Cerrudo   |   Posted on Thursday, July 4th, 2019

The Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (PhilHealth) assured to shoulder the hospital expenses of the victims of food poisoning at the birthday celebration of former first lady Imelda Marcos.

PhilHealth President and CEO Ricardo Morales said all victims who are PhilHealth members and are confined in private and public hospitals can avail their benefits.

“PhilHealth pays up to P6,000 for food poisoning or acute gastroenteritis with moderate to severe dehydration when confined in any PhilHealth accredited hospital,” he said.

Meanwhile, non-members can avail the Point of Service (POS) Program in government hospitals.

“We want to assure those affected that in case hospitalization is required, they can bank on their PhilHealth coverage for financial protection,” Morales adds.—AAC (with reports from Aiko Miguel)

Tags: , , , , ,