DOH records 1,734 new cases; warns that surge in cases could lead to virus mutation

Aileen Cerrudo   •   February 11, 2021   •   414

MANILA, Philippines—The Department of Health (DOH) reported 1,734 new coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases on February 11.

Based on the latest bulletin the total number of cases in the country reached 543,282 with 31,478 active cases. The number of daily recoveries reached 423 with 500,335 total recoveries, and 68 deaths recorded, totaling to 11,469 deaths.

Fifty-two cases that were previously tagged as recovered are now reclassified as deaths after final validation. Twelve duplicates were also removed from the total case count.

Meanwhile, DOH-Epidemiology Bureau Medical Specialist IV Dr. Alethea De Guzman reiterated there is a need to increase the response in areas with surges of COVID-19 cases. This is to prevent possible mutation of the virus.

Kaya iyong mahalagang step natin para mapigilan, para ma- lessen iyong chance natin na magkaroon ng mga mutation at para magkaroon ng mga bagong varant (So the important steps to prevent and lessen chances for a mutation and possible new variant) is to really push our numbers to as low, to as minimum number as possible. To decrease the chance of new variants even a variant coming from the Philippines” she said.

Experts are currently monitoring the rising COVID-19 cases in Cebu City.

The health department reminds the public to follow health and safety protocols especially amid the threat of variants of the COVID-19 virus. -AAC (with reports from Aiko Miguel)

Ilang pasyalan sa Metro Manila bukas na sa publiko pero mga bata, bawal sa ilang parke

Robie de Guzman   •   October 22, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – Bukas na sa publiko ang ilang pasyalan sa Metro Manila kasunod ng pagsasailalim sa rehiyon sa COVID-19 Alert Level 3.

Kabilang sa mga binuksang pasilidad ay ang Quezon Memorial Circle, kung saan pinapayagan ang pagpasok ng mga bata basta’t may kasamang magulang o adult guardian.

Maaari ring kumain sa parke at bukas ang playground para sa mga batang gustong maglaro.

May mga nag-iikot namang security personnel upang masegurong nasusunod ng mga bisita ang ipinatutupad na public health protocols.

Malawak ang Quezon Memorial Circle at maaari itong pagdarausan ng individual exercise.

Bukas ang lugar mula alas-5 ng umaga hanggang alas-8 ng gabi.

Sa Maynila naman, bukas rin ang Luneta at Paco Park mula alas-5 ng umaga para sa mga nais mamasyal at mag-ehersisyo sa liwasan.

Ngunit ayon sa National Parks Development Committee (NPDC), bawal pa rin ang pagpasok sa Rizal Park ng mga menor de edad kahit sila ay mag-e-ehersisyo.

“Sa ngayon po, dahil po sa IATF guidelines ay hindi po muna natin ina-allow ang mga bata sa parks and then, yung pagdating naman din po sa pagkain, hindi pa rin po nag-a-allow ng picnic po sa park,” ang paliwanag ni Florizza Buclatin, ang chief of staff ng NPDC.

Sa Intramuros, tumatanggap na rin ng bisita ang Baluarte de San Diego at Fort Santiago pero bawal pa rin ang mga menor de edad.

Bukas ang Fort Santiago mula alas-9 ng umaga hanggang alas-7 ng gabi habang ang Baluarte de San Diego naman ay bukas mula alas-9 ng umaga hanggang alas-6 ng gabi.

Bukas ang mga pasyalang ito, bakunado man o hindi kontra COVID-19.

Paalala ng mga otoridad sa mga bisita, kailangan pa ring nakasuot ng face mask, iwasan ang overcrowding at panatilihin ang physical distancing. – RRD (mula sa ulat ni Correspondent Asher Cadapan Jr.)

PH starts second phase of COVID-19 pediatric vaccination

Robie de Guzman   •   October 22, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine government has commenced the second phase of the pilot implementation of the pediatric A3 COVID-19 vaccination, the Department of Health (DOH) said Friday.

The rollout of the campaign in the entire National Capital Region was marked by a ceremonial vaccination held at Cardinal Santos Medical Center, Ospital ng Paranaque and Quezon City General Hospital.

The DOH said that the vaccinations are currently being held in selected hospitals as the expansion will be conducted in phases.

The DOH, NVOC and local government units chose the vaccination sites or hospitals for the initial phases, which have the capacity to manage possible serious adverse reactions to vaccines and facilitate easy referral of patients.

The government is implementing Pediatric A3 vaccination in a phased approach in order to formulate strategies on how it will be rolled out to other regions, and possibly to regular vaccination sites, the DOH said.

“As with the vaccination process of the adults, the vaccination for children will be closely monitored to detect adverse events following immunization to ensure the safety of our young vaccine recipients,” said Health Undersecretary Tong-An during the ceremonial vaccination at Cardinal Santos Medical Center.

For phase 2, the following facilities have been added to the initial list of vaccination sites:

  • Caloocan City Medical Center (North and South)
  • Ospital ng Malabon
  • Navotas City Hospital
  • Valenzuela City Emergency Hospital
  • Marikina Sports Complex (near Amang Rodriguez Memorial Medical Center)
  • Quezon City General Hospital
  • Luke’s Medical Center Quezon City
  • Ospital ng Maynila
  • Ospital ng Makati
  • SM Megamall Mega Vaccination Site (near Mandaluyong City Medical Center)
  • Cardinal Santos Medical Center
  • Ospital ng Muntinlupa
  • Ospital ng Parañaque 1
  • University of Perpetual Help System Dalta
  • Pasay City General Hospital

St. Luke’s Medical Center – Global City will also cater to the Municipality of Pateros, the DOH said.

The DOH reminded those covered in the Pediatric A3 Group to first secure a vaccination schedule with the hospital and bring the following documents on the day of vaccination:

  • medical certificate detailing the child’s comorbidity
  • valid IDs of both the child and the parent or guardian
  • any proof of filiation like the birth certificate

The vaccine recipient must also be accompanied by the parent or guardian at the vaccination site, it added.

Business recovery very likely as restrictions ease — employers group

Maris Federez   •   October 22, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — The Employers Confederation of the Philippines (ECOP) is confident that businesses will be able to recover soon as alert level restrictions begin to ease in selected areas in the country.

ECOP said that business owners are seeing gradual recovery from losses as protocols to counter the spread of COVID-19 relax.

“Kapag nagnonormal yung restrictions mag-uumpisa nang kumita ang mga iyan,” said ECOP president Sergio Ortiz-Luis Jr.

Ortiz-Luis added that it is now time for the government to allow companies to operate with a larger percentage of their workforce to help them recover.

He said all it takes for them is to implement stricter health protocols in their areas of employment.

Employers must also not make vaccination status a basis for accepting employees returning for work.

“Kapag tinanong mo meron din ilan-ilang nagpa-positve sa workplace eh. Pero kapag ininspeksiyon mo saan nakuha, hindi naman doon sa workplace eh. Nakuha sa paghanap ng sasakyan, pagpila sa kung ano-anong pinipilahan,” Ortiz-Luis said.

“Napakaraming pila: pila sa ayuda, pila sa COMELEC, pila sa paghanap ng sasakyan, paglalakad, pagtitipon, paghahanap ng pagkain. Doon nakukuha. Hindi sa workplace. Bakit hindi mo papasukin?” he added.

However, the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) stressed that vaccination, alongside the efficient implementation of quarantine restrictions, is still the key to economic recovery.

“The continued decline in COVID-19  infection cases owing to the speedier COVID vaccine rollout and more effective granular lockdown will help underpin the economy’s gradual reopening,” said BSP Governor Benjamin Diokno.

Currently, the National Capital Region is under Alert Level 3 until the end of October, wherein several business establishments have been allowed to operate with limited capacity. —/mbmf (from the report of UNTV Correspondent Nel Maribojoc)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.