DOH-FDA receives first report of vape-associated lung injury case in Phl

Maris Federez   •   November 15, 2019   •   584

MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Health (DOH) on Friday (November 15) announced that it has received an official report on the first case of E-cigarette or Vape-Associated Lung Injury (EVALI) from a private pediatric pulmonologist based in the Visayas.

Based on the DOH information released to the media, the patient is a 16-year old female who had been using e-cigarettes for six months while concurrently consuming combustible cigarettes, referred to as “dual-use.”

It said the patient, who was admitted last October 21, initially presented sudden-onset of severe shortness of breath which required them to administer her with oxygen and be admitted to the ICU.

The report also said the clinical impression was initially considered to be infectious in nature, but after further evaluation, the patient met the case criteria for EVALI based on the guidelines of the US Centers for Disease Control (CDC).

The patient, however, was subsequently discharged after receiving appropriate care from the attending pulmonologist who is now in continuous communication with the DOH regarding the condition of the patient.

Health Undersecretary Rolando Enrique Domingo said, “all e-cigarette users should seek immediate medical help, and ask their doctors for ways to quit these harmful products.”

“No e-cigarette product should be accessible to young children and adolescents, who are uniquely susceptible to the harms of e-cigarettes and nicotine. I urge non-users not to even try e-cigarettes at all,” he added.

The health department urges the public to report suspected EVALI cases to ecigarettesurveillance@doh.gov.ph. /mbmf

DOH to conduct nationwide measles campaign beginning October 26

Aileen Cerrudo   •   September 21, 2020

The Department of Health (DOH) will conduct a nationwide measles and polio supplemental immunization campaign starting October 26.

DOH Secretary Secretary Francisco Duque said there is still a need to prevent possible measles outbreak especially while the country is facing the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.

As of August 2020, there are around 3,500 reported measles cases with 36 deaths. Most of the cases are among children under five years old.

The nationwide Measles Rubella-Oral Polio Vaccine Supplemental Immunization campaign will be rolled out in two phases. The DOH will be conducting the campaign for children under five years old which is around 9.4 million children for the measles-rubella vaccine and 6.9 million children for the oral polio vaccine.

“Despite the COVID-19 pandemic, a high-quality immunization campaign is urgently needed to stop measles transmission and possible outbreaks. We encourage parents and caregivers to have their children immunized. The measles vaccine is safe, effective and free,” he said.

The DOH’s immunization campaign is supported by the World Health Organization (WHO) and the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF). UNICEF Philippines Representative Oyunsaikhan Dendevnoro said there have been immunization challenges brought by the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic.

“We are at an especially challenging time when immunization for children is being threatened. All of us must do our part in ensuring children in our family are immunized, and that we provide the correct information to parents, community members and among our peers,” she said.

Meanwhile, Duque also assured that the health care workers who will participate in the campaign have been trained and will be provided with personal protective equipment.

The Phase 1 of the campaign will be conducted from 26 October to 25 November 2020 in Mindanao Regions, CAR, I, II, IV-B and V. Phase 2 will be conducted in February 2021 in Visayas Regions, NCR, III and IV-A. AAC

DOH records 3,311 additional confirmed COVID-19 patients

Maris Federez   •   September 21, 2020

Specimen collection for coronavirus testing

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Health (DOH) has issued a bulletin on coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) showing that the total number of COVID-19 cases was at 286,743, as of 4PM on Sunday, September 20, 2020.

This, after health authorities reported that 3,311 newly-confirmed cases added to the list of COVID-19 patients.

The DOH also announced that there are 20,021 recoveries which comprised of 625 from routine reports and 19,396 time-based recoveries. This brings the total number of recoveries to 229,865.

The statement also reported that of the 3,311 reported cases, 2,774 (84%) occurred within the recent 14 days (September 7 – September 20, 2020). The top regions with cases in the recent two weeks were NCR with 1,182 (43%), Region 4A with 555 (20%) and Region 6 with 299 (11%) cases.

The department has also recorded 55 fatalities due to COVID-19. This is comprised of 33 in September (60%), 17 in August (31%) and 5 in July (9%).

The report also showed 29 duplicates that were removed from the total case count. Of these, 14 recovered cases and 1 death have been removed. One case, on the other hand, was reactivated after further validation.

The report further showed that 28 cases that were previously tagged as recovered have been reclassified to deaths (25) and active cases (3) after final validation. — /mbmf

DOH logs 3,962 new cases in confirmed COVID-19 list

Maris Federez   •   September 19, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Health (DOH) reports that the total number of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases is now at 283,460 as of 4:00 p.m. Saturday, September 19, 2020.

This, after 3,962 newly-confirmed cases were added to the list.

The DOH likewise announced 1,128 recoveries, bringing the total number of recoveries to 209,885.

The health department’s latest bulletin showed that of the 3,962 reported cases today, 3,286 (83%) occurred within the recent 14 days (September 6 – September 19, 2020).

The top regions with cases in the recent two weeks were the NCR with 1,199 (36%), Region 4A with 780 (24%) and Region 3 with 446 (14%).

Of the 100 deaths, 66 occurred in September (66%), 16 in August (16%) 7 in July (7%) 4 in June (4%) and 7 in April (7%).  

Twenty-seven (27) duplicates were removed from the total case count. Of these, 15 were recovered cases, the report added. Another patient who recovered was verified to be a foreign national and was also removed from the total case count.

On the other hand, 17 cases which were previously tagged as recovered were reclassified as deaths after final validation.

The department further reported that 10 laboratories were not able to submit their data to the COVID-19 Data Repository System (CDRS) on September 18, 2020. These laboratories are:

  1. Daniel O. Mercado Medical Center
  2. Dr. Jorge P. Royeca Hospital
  3. Kaiser Medical Center Inc.
  4. Lanao del Norte Covid-19 Testing Laboratory
  5. Las Piñas General Hospital and Satellite Trauma Center (GX)
  6. Las Piñas General Hospital and Satellite Trauma Center (RT-PCR)
  7. Research Institute for Tropical Medicine
  8. Safeguard DNA Diagnostics
  9. Taguig City Molecular Laboratory
  10. Valenzuela Hope Molecular Laboratory

The DOH said the numbers they receive undergo constant cleaning and validation. — /mbmf

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.