DOH asks Comelec to find alternative ways for COVID-19 patients to vote

Aileen Cerrudo   •   September 17, 2021   •   292

MANILA, Philippines—The Department of Health (DOH) on Friday urged the Commission on Elections (Comelec) to find alternative ways on how COVID-19 patients can cast their vote in the 2022 national elections.

DOH Usec. Maria Rosario Vergeire reiterated that they will not allow COVID-19 patients to leave isolation to vote in the upcoming elections. She said this might lead to increasing the risk of virus transmission to other voters.

“Kailangan din isaisip dapat may alternative tayo for those who are COVID-19 positive para po sa botohan na ito. Alam po natin na ang isang positibong tao kapag lumabas po ng isang kwarto o ng isang lugar ay maaaring makahawa ng ibang tao, (We also need to look into alternative ways for the COVID-19 positive voters in this election. We do know that positive patients, once they leave their room or an area, can infect others)” she said.

The DOH official suggested going digital or online for COVID-19 patients.

“Sana po Comelec will have an alternative way of having these elections for those COVID-19 positive patients baka pwede naman pong virtual na lang, digital through SMS kung makakagawa po tayo ng ganitong proseso dahil talag ang ang Department of  Health po ay hindi po natin inirerekomenda na ang mga COVID-19 positive patients ay lalabas po ng kanilang isolation area to do this kind of activity, (I hope Comelec will have an alternative way of having these elections for  COVID-19 positive patients. Maybe it can be done virtually, digital through SMS if such a process can be done because the DOH will not recommend for COVID-19 patients to leave the isolation area to do this kind of activity),” Vergeire said.

Meanwhile Comelec spokesperson James Jimenez previously said that it would be a challenge to find alternative methods for COVID-19 patients to vote, however, he said the Comelec en Banc will discuss the process on how it can be done.

There are currently no guidelines allowing patients to vote in polling centers. AAC (with reports from Dante Amento)

 

COVID-19 vaccination sa mga bata, palalawigin sa 13 ospital sa Metro Manila – DILG

Robie de Guzman   •   October 18, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – Mula sa walong ospital ay palalawigin pa sa 13 ospital sa Metro Manila ang isinasagawang pediatric vaccination kontra COVID-19, partikular sa mga batang may edad 12 hanggang 17 at may co-morbidity.

Ayon kay Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) Undersecretary Jonathan Malaya, tinukoy na ng ilang local government unit (LGU) ang mga ospital na isasama na rin sa listahan ng mga pinagdarausan ng pagbabakuna.

Magsisimula aniya ang expansion sa ika-22 ng Oktubre.

“Ngayon naman po ay pupunta naman po tayo sa mga LGU-based hospitals ‘no and magdaragdag po ng thirteen additional local hospitals doon sa mga ospital na nagsimula na sa national ‘no,” ani Malaya.

“So, ito po ay magsisimula ngayong Friday hanggang October 31. So, ang bawat LGU po ay nag-identify ng isang local hospital para maisama sa pilot ng pediatric vaccination,” dagdag pa niya.

Kabilang sa mga ospital na idaragdag sa vaccination site ay ang Caloocan Medical Center, Ospital ng Parañaque, at ang Pasay General Hospital.

Ang walong ospital na kasalukuyang pinagdarausan ng pagbabakuna ay ang Philippine Children’s Medical Center,
National Children’s Hospital, Philippine Heart Center,
Pasig City General Hospital,
 Fe Del Mundo Medical Center,
 Philippine General Hospital,
 Makati Medical Center at ang St. Luke’s Medical Center sa Taguig.

Paalala ng mga otoridad sa mga magulang na nais pabakunahan ang kanilang mga anak na may co-morbidity na makipag-ugnayan sa nakakasakop na LGU at magpakita ng mga kaukulang dokumento, pati na ang parent consent.

Mula a-16 ng Oktubre ay nasa 1,509 bata na ang nakatanggap ng COVID-19 shots batay sa ulat ng Department of Health.

DOH: 1,509 minors with health risks vaccinated vs COVID-19 in first week

Robie de Guzman   •   October 18, 2021

MANILA, Philippines ­– A total of 1,509 children aged 12 to 17 with co-morbidities were vaccinated in the first week of the pilot implementation of the COVID-19 pediatric vaccination in Metro Manila, the Department of Health (DOH) said Monday.

Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said, the pilot vaccination was successful based on a three-day assessment they conducted.

Vergeire noted that four minors who received the shots reportedly experienced side effects but added that these are still being verified and assessed.

“Isang bata na nagkaroon ng pagtaas ng presyon but after 2 hours they were able to manage it, naging normal na. May nagkaroon ng allergic reaction but it was managed,” she said.

“May dalawang stress-related doon sa immunization, may anxiety sa pagbabakuna. Let me caution all of you, it’s not official yet,” she added.

Vergeire assured they are closely monitoring the condition of minors inoculated with COVID-19 vaccine.

The COVID-19 vaccination for the pediatric population was launched on Oct. 15 in eight hospitals in Metro Manila, namely:

  • Philippine Children’s Medical Center
  • National Children’s Hospital
  • Philippine Heart Center
  • Pasig City General Hospital
  • Fe Del Mundo Medical Center
  • Philippine General Hospital
  • Makati Medical Center
  • Luke’s Medical Center (Taguig)

The following medical conditions would make children aged 12 to 17 years old eligible for vaccination against COVID-19:

  • Medical complexity
  • Genetic conditions
  • Neurologic conditions
  • Cardiovascular disease
  • Metabolic/endocrine
  • Obesity
  • HIV infection
  • Tuberculosis
  • Chronic respiratory disease
  • Renal disorder
  • Hepatobillary

Vergeire earlier said that children participating in the pilot COVID-19 vaccination program should be well-informed and must get clearance from their doctors.

 

Comelec en banc to tackle calls to extend overseas voter registration

Maris Federez   •   October 18, 2021

 

MANILA, Philippines — The Commission on Elections (Comelec) en banc is set to discuss on Wednesday the recommendation to extend the overseas voter registration that ended on October 14.

Some overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) said they still have not registered due to the limited days that they are free from work.

Senator Imee Marcos said many OFWs, particularly in Hong Kong and Macau who confused the deadline set for overseas voter registration with the deadline set for the voter registration in the Philippines which is October 30.

“Given the confusion brought about by COVID, the numerous extensions and difficulties in travel of our OFWs, I was urging the Comelec, and I reiterate this plea, that we extend at least two weekends in the most populous or the consulates with the most Filipinos.”

Comelec chairman Sheriff Abas, meanwhile, said they will have to discuss the matter in the next en banc session.

“Pag-uusapan namin kung kaya pa namin ii-stretch yung sa OFOV (Office for Overseas Voting). Stretched na stretched na po siya pero i-try pa rin namin, magandang idea ‘yun your honors na we will cater dun lang sa parang pinaka NCR nila, yung pinakamaraming na hindi pa nakapagrehistro,” Abas said. —/mbmf (from the report of UNTV Correspondent Harlene Delgado)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.