Displaced street vendors in Divisoria hold protest in front of Manila City Hall
Maris Federez • November 18, 2019 • 529
MANILA, Philippines – Around 100 street vendors gathered in front of the Manila City Hall to appeal for an audience with Mayor Isko Moreno Domagoso on what he plans to do with them.
Although Mayor Isko did not face the protesting vendors, he explained before the media that the street vendors had been given several chances but have continually violated the conditions and policies set by the government.
The local executive said he ordered the street vendors removed from the major street of Divisoria, particularly on Recto Avenue, Juan Luna Street and Soler Street last June so that these streets can be used by the greater majority especially during emergency situations such as fire incidents.
The street vendors, however, were allowed to use the perpendicular roads so they can put up their stalls and sell their products under certain conditions, such as to maintain cleanliness in the surroundings, follow the correct measurement for their stalls, not to give money to middlemen; not to use the middle of the street so that motorists can still pass.
Mayor Isko said the vendors violated these conditions.
“Binigyan na namin kayo ng pagkakataon eh. Sinayang ninyo eh. Sabi nila, ‘Eh, 20 years na ho kami rito eh. 30 years na ho kami rito.’ Aba! Bagay na ipagpasalamat ninyo sa mamamayan ng lungsod ng Maynila,” Mayor Isko said.
(“We have given you several chance already. But you took them for granted. They say, ‘We’ve been here for 20 years. We’ve been here 30 years.’ That’s one thing that you should be thankful for to the residents of the City of Manila.”)
The vendors, on the other hand, complained of what’s to become of them with their current status.
They are asking for another opportunity to put up their stalls especially now that the long holiday is approaching, which the local chief executive has shown no inclination of giving.
The protesting vendors warned that they will not stop from going to the City Hall to ask Mayor Isko to give them another chance to save their livelihood for the sake of their families. (from the report of Asher Cadapan, Jr.) /mbmf
MANILA, Philippines – Local authorities of the Philippine capital will be filing charges against an SUV driver who dragged a traffic law enforcer holding on to his vehicle along Laong-Laan in Sta. Cruz when apprehended for disregarding lane marking.
Manila Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso scolded the errant driver, identified as Orlando Ricardo Jr., 54, who was put behind bars after he was nabbed following the incident.
Reports said that a Manila Traffic and Parking Bureau (MTPB) enforcer named Adrian Lim was left injured after he held onto Ricardo’s vehicle along the streets of Samploc and Sta. Cruz in Manila on Saturday.
CCTV footage showed Lim hanging onto a speeding and swerving gray SUV until he fell off near Laong-Laan road. He was brought to a hospital by responding first aid providers from the Philippine Red Cross.
Ricardo was apprehended by authorities along Oroquieta and Tayuman streets.
Mayor Isko said the driver had “criminal intent” to harm the traffic law enforcer.
“May criminal intent. Nakita ko (sa CCTV footage) winawasiwas niya,” he said.
“Mas mahal pa ibabayad niya sa abogado niya. Pero sa P500 kaya niyang pumatay ng isang enforcer,” Domagoso said referring to the penalty of a traffic law violation committed by Ricardo.
Meanwhile, Mayor Isko commended Lim’s dedication to his job.
The victim, who sustained several injuries, has been discharged from the hospital after undergoing medical examination.
Ricardo, who is currently detained at the Manila Police District Station 3, has denied allegations he also punched Lim, and that he was in possession of a gun during the incident.
Manila Mayor Isko Moreno Domagoso on Wednesday (October 30) rewarded an honest pedicab driver for returning P1.2 million to a Chinese national.
Benjie Ordanza, 42 years old, was presented when the Manila Mayor addressed the nation’s capital on Wednesday.
According to Moreno, Ordanza approached Manila 2nd District Councilor Awi Sia to return a bag containing P1.2 million cash, a watch, and the passport of the owner Zhang Lei.
Moreno expressed his gratitude for Ordanza’s honesty.
“This type of fellow is very rare,” he said. “He could have done anything other than this. It’s literally very rare nowadays. Especially sa hirap ng buhay ng tao, madaling mag-asam ng hindi sa iyo lalo’t kung walang nakakakita (Especially with how difficult life is nowadays, it is easy to take something that isn’t yours especially when no one is looking).”
Ordanza received ₱100,000 from Moreno and Manila Vice Mayor Honey Lacuna.—AAC
MANILA, Philippines – Divisoria is still the place to go to for most people who are in a tight budget when it comes to buying gifts for the holidays.
Although Manila Mayor Isko Moreno has ordered the clearing of the city’s major thoroughfares from vendors, the local government allowed them to occupy the inner streets or what they call the commercial streets.
Shoppers saw for themselves the changes in the area and expressed their satisfaction with what they have seen.
“Malinis,maluwag preskong mamili. Mas kampante na ngayon kaysa dati na nagsisiksikan hindi mo alam nadukutan ka na,” said shopper Carmelita Mercado.
Aside from the decongested traffic, vendor Jaime Jiao said the area is already safe for tourists.
The stalls are open daily from morning till evening, and on scheduled night market.
Meanwhile, some vendors are appealing to Mayor Isko to allow them to once again occupy the street corners and the sidewalks up until the end of December to support their livelihood during the holiday season. (with details from Aiko Miguel) /mbmf
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.