Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

Discovered cocaine in eastern seaboard, not a diversionary tactic —Albayalde

by admin   |   Posted on Wednesday, February 20th, 2019

Blocks of cocaine intercepted by authorities along the shores of Camarines Norte, Dinagat Islands, Surigao del Norte and Quezon

QUEZON CITY, Philippines — PNP Chief Police Director General Oscar Albayalde asserts that the cocaine blocks that were dumped and discovered in the eastern seaboard of the country is not a diversionary tactic.

The PNP Chief said the said blocks of cocaine were too expensive to just be thrown into the sea and be used as a diversionary tactic.

Albayalde added, “yung cocaine ay hindi masyadong pina-patronize dito sa Pilipinas [Cocaine is not popularly patronized in the Philippines], so I don’t see any diversionary tactics as of this time.”

This started when a student saw a block of cocaine along the coastline of Perez, Quezon on Tuesday (February 19).

The government has already recorded more than 90 kilos of cocaine valued at around half a billion pesos, all from what were recovered in Surigao del Norte, Dinagat Island, Camarines Norte and Quezon Province. — Maris Federez (with reports from Lea Ylagan)

Tags: , ,

No threat monitored for SONA so far – Albayalde

by Robie de Guzman   |   Posted on Monday, July 22nd, 2019

File Photo: Police General Oscar Albayalde

MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine National Police (PNP) on Monday said it has yet to monitor any threat hours before President Rodrigo Duterte’s fourth State of the Nation Address (SONA).

On Monday morning, PNP chief Police General Oscar Albayalde arrived at the Commonwealth Avenue in Quezon City to inspect police personnel deployed to the area. He was accompanied by National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) chief Police Major General Guillermo Eleazar.

“As of this time, wala pa tayong nakukuhang threat. But then again, we appeal to the public to remain vigilant,” the PNP chief told reporters.

A total of 14,000 police officers have been deployed in Metro Manila to monitor the peace and order situation during Duterte’s SONA. Around 8,500 of which were assigned to Quezon City.

The police chief said he sees no reason to deploy additional personnel for the major event.

He added that as of this time, no untoward incidents have been reported along Commonwealth Avenue and Batasan Hills but the traffic is heavy along these areas due to the staging of SONA-related protests.

Unlike previous SONAs, there are no barbed wires installed along the Commonwealth area this year but Albayalde assured that the police force is ready in case of security threat.

Albayalde further stated they will not conduct a random check on people carrying bags or backpacks and wearing a jacket unless they have compelling reasons to do so for the safety of the public.

The police chief also advised cops to remain patient and implement maximum tolerance amid SONA-related protests. (with details from Lea Ylagan)

Tags: , ,

Gabriela Partylist questions PNP’s random inspection of protesters during SONA

by Aileen Cerrudo   |   Posted on Friday, July 19th, 2019

Gabriela Partylist questions the random inspection to be implemented by the Philippine National Police (PNP) on protesters during President Rodrigo Duterte’s State of the Nation Address (SONA).

The party-list said the said measure violates the constitutional right to privacy.

According to their statement, the random inspection might probably lead to harassment or arrest of protesters without a proper warrant.

“Such security overkill dangerously sets up a pretext for intimidation, harassment and even warrantless arrest of activists based on planted evidence,” they said in their statement.

An estimate of over 40,000 protesters will join the anti-Duterte administration rally on Monday (July 22).

The Philippine National Police (PNP) announced on Thursday (July 18) that they will ‘most likely’ conduct random inspections on protesters as part of their strict implementation of security measures.—AAC (with reports from Grace Casin)

Tags: , , , ,

Police, military hospitals on standby amid national dengue alert

by Marje Pelayo   |   Posted on Thursday, July 18th, 2019

MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Health (DOH) has tapped the service of military hospitals amid following the declaration of national dengue alert.

According to DOH Spokesperson Eric Domingo, they have asked the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) to be on standby in case the number of dengue cases increases beyond government hospitals’ capacity.

“Ang PNP at ang AFP natin may mga hospitals din naman sila and we have to network with them in case na talagang dumami ang pasyente (The PNP and the AFP also have hospitals and we have to network with them in case the number of patients increases),” Domingo said.

“Halimbawa may mga lugar na malayo sa amin tapos sila may hospital maari kaming makipagtulungan para ma- admit din ang mga pasyente sa mga hospitals nila (There are certain areas beyond our reach where military hospitals are located. We can ask for help to admit the patients there in their hospitals),” he added.

On Wednesday (July 17), Health Secretary Francisco Duque III met with the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) Health Cluster to discuss measures to curb the sudden rise of dengue infections in the country.

The DOH is in cooperation with other agencies like the Department of Education (DepEd), the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) and the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) in implementing actions in schools to prevent dengue, in educating the public on the dangers of dengue infection, and in coordinating with the local government units in destroying potential breeding grounds of dengue-carrying mosquitoes in different areas in the country.

“Kailangan talaga sa schools maglinis tayo, ma- educate natin iyong children at iyong parents kung paano iyong dapat natin gawin to prevent itong dengue at tsaka meron tayong changes sa mga patakaran sa school, (We need to have regularly clean up drive in schools and we need to educate the children and the parents on what to do to prevent dengue. Also, we have changes in school regulations,)” the DOH Spokesperson said.

Likewise, among the agencies’ action plans include designation of additional hospital rooms for dengue patients through Philippine Red Cross and the construction of extra hospital tents which can be used for emergency.

Domingo stressed the need to always be alert in providing the medical needs of dengue patients in order to prevent further deaths caused by dengue infection this year.

The DOH advises households to dispose stagnant water and dirty containers where dengue mosquitoes may breed.

Install protections such as window and door screens.

Likewise, do not let your child play or come near areas where mosquitoes are breeding.

Maganda pa rin talaga naka- pantalon at long sleeves ang mga bata para hindi siya makakagat ng lamok (It is better to have your child wear long pants and long sleeves to prevent mosquito bites),” Domingo advised.

The DOH, as always, reminds the public to immediately bring the patient to the nearest hospital if symptoms of dengue manifest.

The agency can be reached through the DOH hotline numbers 711-1001 and 711-1002 for inquiry about dengue. — with reports from Aiko Miguel

Tags: , , , , , ,