Dimple Star, apprehended for operating despite suspension

admin   •   March 26, 2018   •   3599

8 of the 51 Dimple Star bus units apprehended by PNP Mindoro

MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine National Police (PNP) in Mindoro apprehended 51 bus units of Dimple Star bus firm for operating despite the existing preventive suspension order imposed by the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB).

It can be recalled the LTFRB suspended the entire fleet of Dimple Star after one of its units figured in an accident in Occidental Mindoro last week and also for other accidents involving the company’s bus units.

MIMAROPA PIO chief PSupt. Imelda Tolentino said they intercepted the buses in Calapan en route to Iloilo City in the early dawn of Saturday.

“Mga nakaalis na ng Manila papuntang Sablayan. Yung iba ay dadaan sa Oriental papuntang Iloilo City. Ito po yung inabot ng order ng ating presidente na lahat ng buses ay di na pinapayagang tumakbo,” said the official.

(They have left Manila and were supposed to go to Sablayan. The others were going to pass through Oriental to Iloilo City. These units are covered by the president’s order to ban all [Dimple Star] buses from operating.)

The arrest have affected around 400 passengers.

This was addressed by the representative of Dimple Star. The passengers on their way to Iloilo City were loaded into passenger vans going to Roxas.

Meanwhile, owners of the Dimple Star bus voluntarily went to Camp Crame last Friday after President Rodrigo Duterte ordered their arrest.

The couple Nilda and Hilbert Napat said they have no intention of escaping their responsibilities and the investigation into the fatal bus accident in Occidental Mindoro.

“Tulungan naming lahat na naaksidente,” said Hilbert Napat.

(We will help all victims of the accident.)

“Nalulugkot kami sa nangyari. Nakikiramay kami sa namatayan kaya andito nga po kami para malutasan ito at makatulong talaga kasi nalulungkot po talaga kami. Pinaghirapan ho namin yung negosyo namin. Yung hanapbuhay namin,” said Nilda Napat.

(We are saddened by the incident. We condole with those who lost their loved ones. We are here to address this and to really help them.  We worked hard at establishing our business.) — Grace Casin | UNTV News & Rescue

PNP says POGO hubs near police, military camps pose no threat to nat’l security

Robie de Guzman   •   August 23, 2019

MANILA, Philippines – Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Police General Oscar Albayalde on Friday said that Chinese-dominated Philippine Offshore Gaming Operators (POGO) hubs near police and military installations so far do not pose threat to the country’s security.

Albayalde told reporters in an interview at Camp Bagong Diwa in Taguig City that foreign businesses usually consider setting up office near a police or military camp for security purposes.

“Ang pinaka-common action ng mga ‘yan ay to find a place nearest to a police station o nearest to a police camp for security reason sa kanila din,” he said.

Albayalde made the remark following concerns raised by Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana over the growing presence of Chinese-staffed online gaming hubs and the risks its proximity poses to military and police installations.

Some POGO hubs are located near the headquarters of the Philippine Army in Taguig, the Philippine Air force in Pasay and the Philippine Navy in Manila. Other online gaming hubs are located near the headquarters of the PNP and Armed Forces of the Philippines in Quezon City.

“Kung ikaw ay negosyante, kung ikaw ay merong pwesto or facility na malapit doon sa police station o sa kampo you are already safe,” he said.

Malacañang earlier said it sees nothing wrong with the location of POGO hubs if this means foreign workers’ rights will be better protected.

“Military camps? Eh di lalong magaling kung military camps dahil binabantayan sila ng military for their protection,” Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said.

However, the PNP chief earlier pointed out that too many POGO hubs near police and military offices might be detrimental to the national security. (RRD with details from correspondent Lea Ylagan)

PNP warns of ‘tokhang’ for security firms keeping high powered firearms

Marje Pelayo   •   August 22, 2019

File photo: Assault machine guns

MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine National Police Civil Security Group (PNPCSG) warns security agencies of facing ‘tokhang’ if they will not surrender all high-powered firearms in their possession.

According to PNP-CSG Director Police Brigadier General Roberto Fajardo, since May 20, 2017, the law prohibits civilians from owning high-powered firearms especially those who are not members of the PNP and the military.

Only government law enforcers including members of the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) and the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) are allowed to possess one.

Security guards, on the other hand, are allowed to possess shotguns.

“We will issue cease to operate at hindi namin ire-renew yung kanilang license to operate (we will not renew their license to operate),” warned Police BGen. Roberto Fajardo.

“I-tokhang na natin yang may mga high powered firearms na i-surrender, kasi ang tokhang ay pakiusap e na iturn over yung kanilang high powered, so itokhang natin (We will place them under tokhang if they will not surrender their high-powered firearms. Tokhang is ‘knock and plead’ so we will ask them to surrender them),” the PNP CSG director added.

Meanwhile, Fajardo noted that they will investigate why security firm AY-Security Specialist Incorporated in Balingasag, Misamis Oriental still owns high-powered firearms.

The firearms were discovered when members of the New People’s Army (NPA) stormed the security agency and robbed about five units of AK-47 in August 19.

“(Si) President na ang nag utos na wala dapat high powered firearms ang mga different security agencies (No less than the President ordered that security agencies should not be safekeeping high-powered firearms),” Fajardo said.

“Unang-una kasi hindi naman sila trained to use high powered firearms so ire-revoke namin yung mga licenses (Primarily because they are not trained to use high-powered firearms so we will revoke their licenses),” he added.

The official assured that government troops are continuously hunting the rebels who took the firearms from the agency. Apart from the AK-47 units, the rebels also took several magazines and ammunitions as well as a handheld radio device. – MNP (with details from Lea Ylagan)

PNP denies alleged militarization of campuses

Marje Pelayo   •   August 20, 2019

Student activists at the University of the Philippines oppose the proposed presence of police and military in school campuses.

MANILA, Philippines – Senator Ronald dela Rosa is suggesting that universities and colleges should welcome the military and police and allow them to conduct their respective indoctrination.

The proposal is to curb the recruitment and brainwashing of students being practiced by the rebel group, New People’s Army (NPA).

But according to Police Chief General Oscar Albayalde, such recommendation was given a different interpretation by militant youth groups.

“This is misunderstood and medyo overreaction ang mga militanteng grupo. There is no such thing as militarization of a campus,” Albayalde said.

Albayalde insists that cops do not enter the school premises unless they have official business inside as stated in the agreement between the University of the Philippines, the League of Filipino Students (LFS) and the government specifically the Department of National Defense that police and military personnel are off limits inside campuses unless approved by the university administration.

“Itong mga militanteng grupo, they are trying to abuse that charter. Kami naman, we can freely enter the campus of UP even today,” the Police Chief noted.

Meanwhile, the PNP respects U.P. students’ decision to hold a day of walkout on Tuesday (August 20) citing their right to assembly provided that it is in accordance with the law. – MNP (with details from April Cenedoza)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+63) 396-8688 (Tel)

(+63) 2 920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+63) 396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+63) 2 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.