DILG warns candidates paying campaign fees to rebels
Aileen Cerrudo • May 2, 2019 • 1485
The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) will file charges against candidates proven to be paying campaign fees to communist rebels.
According to DILG Undersecretary Jonathan Malaya these candidates will be liable if they have enough evidence to prove that these candidates are paying extortion money to communist rebels.
“They will be held liable even after the elections if we are able to gather evidence that they are aiding, financing, supporting or conniving with these communist terrorist groups and their allies who are out to trample our democracy and oust our duly constituted authorities,” he said during a press briefing on Thursday (May 2).
DILG said the Communist Party of the Philippines-New People’s Army (CPP-NPA) were able to collect over P100 million from various extortion activities nationwide from 2016-2018.
Election candidates will pay a certain amount of money to communist rebels in order allow them to campaign in their area.
Meanwhile, Malaya said there is already a decline in the number of local candidates paying extortion money to communist rebels for this election compared in 2016.
However, for those candidates who continue to pay rebels for a campaign permit, they will be in violation of Republic Act no. 10168 or the Financing of Terrorism, Disloyalty and Co-conspirator in Crime of Rebellion.
According to Malaya they received reports about negotiations with the rebel groups in parts of Cordillera, Quezon, Bicol, Eastern Visayas, and Eastern Mindanao. (with reports from Rey Pelayo)
MANILA, Philippines — Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Eduardo Año on Wednesday (May 6) lauded the efforts of 828 local government units (LGUs) across the country that have completed the payout of the first tranche of the Social Amelioration Program (SAP) cash aid to poor families in their localities and have met the deadline.
“Good job sa ating mga LGUs na naipamahagi na sa mga mahihirap na pamilya ang SAP cash subsidy (Good job to LGUs who have completed the distribution SAP cash subsidy to poor families),” he said.
“Pinapatunayan lamang nito ang inyong pagmamalasakit sa inyong mga constituents, (It just proves that you really care for your constituents),” he added.
Secretary Año, however, urged local executives of the 828 LGUs to liquidate immediately.
“Ang next challenge sa inyo ay makapag-liquidate kaagad (Your next challenge is to immediately liquidate) and account for our each centavo of this taxpayer’s money to the DSWD,” he added.
Meanwhile, LGUs who have not yet completed the payout were ordered to work double time as many of the beneficiaries are severely affected by the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) crisis.
“One moment of delay or inaction means additional hours of suffering of poor families in your localities. Let us not keep them waiting and let us show them that the government truly cares for them,” he said.
SAP distribution for provincial LGUs ended on May 4, 2020.
Meanwhile, Metro Manila LGUs as well as the provinces of Cavite, Rizal, Laguna, Bulacan, and Cebu and Davao City were given until May 7 to complete the payout in consideration to the areas’ high-density population.
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) on Monday ordered local government units (LGU) in the National Capital Region (NCR) to activate their respective task forces to help in monitoring and stopping the spread of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in the communities.
DILG Secretary Eduardo Año issued the directive following the declaration of Code Red sublevel 1 by the Department of Health (DOH) on Saturday after confirming that the sixth patient, the wife of the previously reported fifth case in San Juan City, is the country’s first case of local transmission of the virus.
The Code Red sublevel 1 alert is issued when a local transmission is recorded.
“Local transmissions pose greater chances for the virus to spread and that’s the last thing we want to happen. Kaya naman inaatasan ko ang mga LGU ng NCR to activate their LCTF o Local COVID-19 Task Force to prevent the situation from escalating,” Año said in a statement.
He added that local COVID-19 task forces in NCR “must work double time to ensure that further spread of the virus will be halted.”
Año said the task force shall direct the Local Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office and Local City Health Office, upon receiving the referrals from the DOH-Emergency Operations Center, to coordinate directly with, and transport, the symptomatic persons to the nearest DOH referral facility for testing.
The symptomatic persons will immediately undergo triage which will determine if the person is a severe case or a mild case.
If the patient is found to be a mild case, the ambulance will be directed to bring the patient confirmed as Persons under Investigation (PUIs) to the nearest DOH-designated hospital for treatment. If found to be a severe case, the patient will be put on isolation or will be admitted to a medical facility.
“The LCTF shall always be on top of all related situations and concerns, and coordinate closely with the DOH-Center for Health Development,” Año said.
All DILG city directors are likewise directed to coordinate with their local chief executives, which will work closely with the DOH regional office.
“It is only through cooperation and vigilance can we guarantee that this virus will not be a greater threat in our country kaya inaasahan ang patuloy na pakikipagtulungan ng lahat ng LGU sa iba pang sangay ng pamahalaan lalo na sa DOH,” the DILG chief said.
Año also reported that 25,411 barangays in the country have already organized their Health Emergency Response Team (BHERT) which can aid in controlling further community transmissions of the virus.
The team is comprised of an executive officer, a barangay tanod, and two barangay health workers, one of them a nurse or a midwife, as appointed by the Punong Barangay.
Part of its responsibility is to monitor the community through home visitation of arriving passengers from a coronavirus-infected country within the locality, ensuring that all residents are accounted for.
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) has ordered all local government units (LGU) to report possible cases of novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) in their respective areas, and adopt stringent measures to intensify the information campaign on the deadly virus.
In a statement released Monday, DILG Secretary Eduardo Año said local chief executives must ensure that the novel coronavirus will not spread in their respective jurisdictions following the confirmation of two infection cases in the country.
“We need to be preventive now that there is a confirmed 2019 nCOV case in the country. Our governors, city and municipal mayors and DILG regional directors must ensure that the coronavirus will not thrive in their backyards,” he said.
The DILG chief said that under the law, local government units are in charge of the promotion of health and safety within their areas of jurisdictions.
“As such, they must take the lead in the prevention and control of the coronavirus at the local level” he added.
Año said local chief executives must consult local health officers on the guidelines and protocol on safety measures, prevention, and control of the virus in their localities.
They must also coordinate with the local police and health authorities to protect suspected cases and their next of kin, and if necessary, to put up checkpoints.
The DILG chief also directed local officials to coordinate with the Local Price Coordinating Council, monitor prices of medicines and preventive gadgets, and file charges against unscrupulous businessmen who resort to hoarding and overpricing.
Barangay officials were likewise ordered to intensity a cleanup drive by properly disposing of garbage and cleaning up the streets and waterways, and be vigilant in monitoring residents showing symptoms of the disease by immediately reporting them to health authorities.
“They should also disseminate information materials such as flyers, brochures, posters and put up billboards about the virus, and tap the local media in conveying this message,” he added.
Last week, the Department of Health (DOH) confirmed the country’s first novel coronavirus case – a 38-year old female Chinese national who traveled from Wuhan City, which is the epicenter of the outbreak.
A few days later, the DOH reported that the patient’s companion – a 44-year old man – died just days after he also tested positive for the virus.
The DOH earlier said that 2019-nCoV symptoms include cough, colds, fever, difficulty in breathing and shortness of breath which can lead to pneumonia, bronchitis, kidney problems, and even death.
As of Monday, February 3, China’s National Health Commission reported 361 deaths due to the virus with 17,205 confirmed cases in China. Around 21,558 people are suspected of being infected while 475 people have recovered and have been discharged from the hospital.
The disease outbreak in China has prompted massive lockdowns in several of its towns and cities, as well as travel ban to and from China in some countries.
Año said there is a growing global concern over the dreaded virus and that unless properly addressed, the crisis it created might have an adverse impact on business productivity, tourism, and mobility of people.
“The lack of information or misinformation about the coronavirus engenders paranoia where coronavirus suspects, their next of kin, neighborhood, or community may be ostracized by the public at large,” Año said.
“In extreme situations, lack of information or disinformation on coronavirus may even lead to social unrest in a community,” he added.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.