DILG wants Manila LGU to explain poor performance on gov’t war on drugs
Marje Pelayo • December 17, 2019 • 803
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) is demanding an explanation from the local government of Manila why it failed the government’s illegal drugs campaign.
Based on the 2018 Anti-Drug Abuse Council (ADAC) Performance Audit, the city of Manila received 48% failure functionality rating among the cities across Metro Manila.
According to DILG Undersecretary Rico Judge Echiverri, drug functionality of the anti-drug abuse council in the city has been low from 2016 to 2018.
Echiverri clarified, however, that it is not incumbent Mayor Isko Domagoso who should solely shoulder the blame but the LGU itself and the former officials, particularly, former Mayor Joseph Estrada.
“But again, we have to give the show cause order. Remember we are filing cases not on the person but on the institution, which is the City of Manila,” Echiverri explained.
“So kahit hindi si Mayor Isko ang (So even if it’s not Mayor Isko who is) accountable, he has to answer still to the poor performance of Manila City,” he added.
Meanwhile, the DILG is pushing for a bill that would penalize local officials who do not act on the government’s campaign against illegal drugs.
Under the ADAC bill, a local official may be put in jail and may be stripped of his chance for public service.
“Fine or suspension wala iyan. Hindi nila iniinda, pero ilagay mo as one of the provisions perpetual to run, tingnan mo kung di matakot ang mga yan, (Fine or suspension is something they will just ignore. But put it as one of the perpetual provisions to run, let’s see if they would dare),” Echiverri noted.
The bill is expected to progress at the Lower House through presidential son Congressman Paulo Duterte while Senator Ronald Dela Rosa is expected to propel on the approval of the bill at the Upper House. – MNP (with details from Dante Amento)
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) on Wednesday directed local government units (LGU) to resume their road-clearing operations after more than seven months of suspension due to the coronavirus pandemic.
DILG Secretary Eduardo Año said the resumption of road clearing operations will officially start on November 16, depending on the quarantine classification of LGUs.
LGUs will have about two months or until January 15, 2021 to comply with the directive, he added.
“We hope that the LGUs, despite the COVID-19 pandemic, will show the same enthusiasm and positive results that they were able to achieve last year as we aim for safer and accessible roads free from illegal and potentially hazardous encroachments,” Año said in a statement.
“Despite the January 15 deadline, we wish to remind the LGUs that road-clearing operation is year-long endeavor, kaya kailangan natin ang kanilang commitment at pakikiisa,” he added.
Under DILG Memorandum Circular 2020-145, Año said that the resumption of road-clearing operations will vary, in different degrees, depending on the quarantine classification of a certain area.
Areas under modified general community quarantine (MGCQ) levels should render full implementation of road clearing operations.
Those under general community quarantine (GCQ) will execute the partial implementation of the program while the road-clearing efforts in areas under modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) and ECQ will remain suspended.
Early this week, President Rodrigo Duterte placed the entire National Capital Region and other areas of the country under GCQ for the whole month of November with no region in the country placed under the strictest community quarantine classification.
Under the DILG memorandum, road obstructions such as vehicular terminals except in areas designated by the LGUs; vending sites; house encroachments that obstruct the right-of-way; debris, waste materials, and other junked items, among others must be cleared off roadways.
Structures or obstructions erected for locally stranded individuals must also be removed upon return to their intended destination.
Parked ambulance and public emergency vehicles; checkpoints established by IATF, LGUs, PNP, and AFP; and temporary obstructions caused by the establishment of bike lanes, however, are exempted from removal, the DILG said.
Año said that results of road clearing efforts conducted by the LGU will be subjected to validation from January 18 to 22, 2021.
The DILG chief reiterated that LGUs that will fail to comply with the presidential directive will face administrative charges.
In his State of the Nation Address last year, Duterte ordered the DILG and LGUs to reclaim all public roads being used for private ends.
The road clearing operations were suspended in March in line with efforts to contain the spread of COVID-19.
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) on Friday said the first batch of 10,136 contract tracers from more than 55,000 applicants have already been hired.
“The hiring of contract tracers is being expedited as time is of the essence in our fight against COVID-19. Ngayon, higit sa 10k na ang ating na-hire and we intend to hit our commitment to employ the 50k CTS prescribed in the Bayanihan 2 Law before the end of this month,” DILG Secretary Eduardo Año said in a statement.
“Hindi tumitigil ang mga tanggapan ng DILG sa mga highly urbanized cities at probinsya sa pag-proseso at pagtanggap ng mga aplikante,” he added.
The DILG chief said the hiring process is now in full swing with more than 47,000 applications being processed in its field offices all over the country.
More applications are expected to be received in the coming days, he added.
Meanwhile, DILG Spokesperson Undersecretary Jonathan Malaya said the first batch of hired contact tracers have started to undergo training prior to their deployment to communities.
“Hindi naman po natin sila isasabak nang basta-basta ng walang training,” he said.
The DILG earlier said hired contact tracers will be deployed in areas where there is still a high COVID-19 infections.
Malaya said the DILG is looking for contact tracers aged 21-45 years old with a Bachelor’s degree or college level in an allied medical course or criminology course. If there are none available, any course will do. Applicants must submit their Diploma or Transcript of Records (TOR) to prove their educational attainment.
He clarified though that in case the TOR or Diploma is not available, a certification from the university will suffice. Also, while the National Bureau of Investigation clearance is under process, he said, the DILG will accept a police clearance in the meantime.
Aspirants must also be skilled in data gathering and have assisted in research and documentation; able to interview COVID-19 cases and close contacts in order to gather data; possess the ability to advocate public health education messages; and have investigative capability.
“We are looking for the most fit and qualified individuals for the job dahil very challenging ang kanilang magiging trabaho for the next 3 months. Their work on the ground is crucial in our battle against COVID-19,” Malaya said.
Applicants are also required to submit a letter of intent, Personal Data Sheet, National Bureau of Investigation Clearance, drug test results and other documents to all DILG Provincial and City Field Offices nationwide or visit their websites for the posting of vacancies.
MANILA, Philippines — The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) has launched the National Police Clearance System (NPCS) which provides the public a faster and more efficient processing of their police clearance applications.
Interior Secretary Eduardo Año said that the online NPCS is a great leap towards crime prevention and peace in the community especially during this time of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.
“Mas mapapabilis din ang pagtugis sa mga kriminal lalong lalo na yung nagtatago sa ibang lugar dahil sa ang datos natin ay para na sa buong bansa at hindi na lamang per LGU,” Año said.
The NPCS is a nationwide issuance of police clearance through online application which seeks to improve the process for criminal records check.
Applicants may either register online or at their chosen police station for appointment.
Upon obtaining an appointment, applicants can proceed to their selected police station on the scheduled date with the following requirements:
Two valid IDs
Application reference number
Official receipt of payment
The NPCS is initially available in 186 police stations and the national roll-out is expected to be completed next year.
This project is in line with the DILG’s digital transformation of the Philippine National Police (PNP) to adapt to the new normal.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.