DILG slams Bayan Muna’s claim, says LGUs voluntarily support Anti-Terror Bill
Robie de Guzman • June 18, 2020 • 510
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) has belied the allegation of the group Bayan Muna that it is forcing local chief executives to support the Anti-Terrorism Bill.
In a statement issued on Wednesday, DILG Undersecretary and spokesperson Jonathan Malaya said the group’s claims is a “complete falsehood” and an affront to the integrity, intelligence and dignity of local government officials nationwide.
He also said that Bayan Muna should not look down on LGUs and assume that they cannot think for themselves.
“Ano naman ang tingin ng Bayan Muna sa mga LGUs, na wala silang sariling paninindigan at pag-iisip? Ramdam ng LGUs ang panawagan ng kanilang mga kababayan na matagal ng isinusuka ang mga terorista,” Malaya said.
“Nagbubulag-bulagan lamang ang Bayan Muna sa mga hinaing ng mga LGU (local government units) at ng ating mga kababayan lalo na sa mga lugar na patuloy na sinisira ng mga terrorista gaya ng Marawi, Samar, Bikol, Caraga at marami pang iba,” he added.
According to DILG Secretary Eduardo Año, 784 local chief executives (LCE) made a “genuine stand” in support of the Anti-Terrorism Bill despite the “massive disinformation campaign” against the measure.
Of the 784, Año revealed that 43 are governors which is 53% of the total number nationwide. Some 68 city mayors and 673 municipal mayors have also epressed their support for the passage of the controversial bill
“So far, we have almost half of the LGUs who are one with us in supporting the Anti-Terrorism Bill. It is huge morale booster for us sapagkat ito ay nangangahulugan lamang na hindi kami nag-iisa sa laban na ito,” he said.
The DILG chief also noted that Region IV-A has the most number of LCEs supporting the measure with 96, followed by Region II with 91; 88 for Region III; CAR with 80; and Region I with 73. Other regions such as MIMAROPA has 58; Region XI with 53; Region VI with 52; and Region XII with 50 while Regions V, VII, and XIII have 24, 21, and 32 apiece. NCR and Region VIII have six and four, respectively.
“We have been receiving support from all LGUs across the country, lalo na sa mga malalayong LGU na nagiging biktima ng terorismo at naniniwala na itong bill na ito ang sagot sa kanilang mga problema at pagdurusa,” he said.
He said that among the local chief executives who have conveyed their support for the bill are Metro Manila Mayors League Chairman Edwin Olivarez, San Juan City Mayor Francis Zamora; Makati City Mayor Abby Binay; Manila City Mayor Isko Moreno; Ormoc City Mayor Richard Gomez; and Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio.
Año believes that support for the Anti-Terrorism Bill from the LGUs are expected to increase as more continue to back the bill down at the grassroots.
MANILA, Philippines – Hinimok ni Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Eduardo Año ang mga lokal na pamahalaan na maglabas ng ordinansa para payagan ang mga menor de edad sa loob ng mga mall sa general community quarantine (GCQ) areas.
Ginawa ni Año ang pahayag kasunod ng rekomendasyon na payagan nang lumabas ang mga menor de edad sa gitna ng novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.
Una nang sinabi ng DILG chief na maaaring pumasok sa loob ng mga mall sa GCQ areas ang mga menor de edad na 15 anyos pababa basta’t kasama ang kanilang mga magulang.
Ngunit kailangan aniya itong pagtibayan ng ordinansa, lalo na ng bawat lungsod sa Metro Manila.
“Ito po ay pagtitibayin sa mga ordinansa ng ating mga NCR (National Capital Regions) mayors sa lugar po ng GCQ (General Community Quarantine)” ang wika ni Año.
Paglilinaw naman ni Trade and Industry Secretary Ramon Lopez, limitado lamang ang aktibidad na maaaring gawin ng mga menor de edad sa loob ng mall gaya ng pagbili ng pagkain at iba pang mahahalagang bagay.
Ayon kay Lopez, ito ay bahagi ng mga hakbang ng pamahalaan upang muling pasiglahin ang ekonomiya na nalugmok sa gitna ng pandemya.
Samantala, sinabi naman ng Philippine National Police (PNP) na hihintayin nila ang ilalabas na ordinansa ng mga lokal na pamahalaan bago nila payagan ang mga menor de edad na makapasok sa loob ng mga mall.
“Kailangan pagtibayin yan ng isang ordinansa. Sa meeting namin ng JTF COVID Shield, pinaghandaan po namin itong recommendation ng mayors sa Metro Manila at kaugnayan din natin si NCRPO director para nga sa pagpapatupad nitong nirecommend nila na tinanggap naman ng IATF at inannounce na nga kagabi,” ang wika ni Lieutenant General Cesar Hawthorne Binag, ang commander ng Joint Task Force COVID Shield.
Hinimok rin ng pulisya ang mga magulang na kung maaari ay huwag nang dalhin sa mall ang mga bata hangga’t nananatili ang banta ng COVID-19.
“Nakikiusap kami na hangga’t kaya dahil wala pa po tayong vaccination e umiwas na lang po muna sana. This is to protect and prevent the disease from spreading further. Siguro kung medyo naturukan na tayo ng vaccine ay that’s the time na pwede na lumabas,” ang pahayag ni National Capital Region Police Office director Brigadier General Vicente Danao Jr.
Sinabi rin ni PNP chief General Debold Sinas na pauuwiin nila ang mga batang magtutungo sa mall habang wala pang inilalabas na ordinansa.
“Hindi namin hulihin at alamin muna ng pulis ang dahilan kung bakit nasa mall na sila at pauwiin natin sila,” ang wika ni Sinas. – RRD (mula sa ulat ni Correspondent Lea Ylagan)
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) on Tuesday said it has ordered the Philippine National Police (PNP) to intensify the manhunt for Benito Tiamzon and his wife, Wilma who are allegedly high ranking officials of the Communist Party of the Philippines-New People’s Army-National Democratic Front (CPP-NPA-NDF).
DILG Secretary Eduardo Año issued the directive several days after the Quezon City Regional Trial Court Branch 216 sentenced the Tiamzon couple to up to 40 years of imprisonment for kidnapping and serious illegal detention charges.
The Tiamzons were also ordered to pay damages and civil indemnity to the complainant amounting to P225,000.
The cases stemmed from the abduction of Army Lt. Abraham Claro Casis with three other soldiers in Candelaria, Quezon Province. The group was allegedly held captive by members of the New People’s Army for 75 days.
“I have instructed the PNP to intensify the manhunt for these communist terrorists so that they can serve the sentence imposed on them by the court,” Año said in a statement.
“The decision of the Regional Trial Court is a great victory for the Filipino people because of their crimes against humanity. As top leaders of the Communist Party and its armed wing, New People’s Army, they kidnapped, killed, and tortured so many people and burned so many equipment,” he added.
The DILG chief believes that the Tiamzons are still in the country based on intelligence reports.
“I exerted a lot of effort in capturing them in 2014. I was then chief of ISAFP (Intelligence Service of the Armed Forces of the Philippines) when they were arrested in March 2014. I spent almost half of my career looking for this couple,” Año said.
The Tiamzon couple was first arrested by government operatives in Barangay Zaragoza, Cebu City in March 2014 after many years of hiding.
But they were released from detention in 2016 to participate as consultants in the peace negotiations between the NDF and the government in Oslo, Norway.
They were ordered re-arrested in August 2018 after the peace talks were subsequently canceled. Both have since failed to appear in court.
“They cannot run and hide forever. Sooner or later, matitimbog din sila ulit at haharapin ang mga kasalanan nila sa ating bayan. I am confident that we will see them behind bars soon,” Año said.
According to the DILG, the couple is also facing multiple murder charges over the Inopacan Massacre where a mass grave was unearthed by soldiers in 2006. The said site was purportedly where suspected military informants within the Communist terrorist groups (CTG) were purged.
CPP founder Jose Maria ‘Joma’ Sison is also a co-accused in the case.
MANILA, Philippines — Bayan Muna Party-list Rep. Eufemia Campos Cullamat condemned what she called a “desecration” of her daughter’s remains by the military.
Cullamat’s 20-year-old daughter, Jevilyn Cullamat was killed in an encounter between the military and the New People’s Army (NPA) in Surigao del Sur.
The lawmaker reiterated that she respects her daughter’s decision to join the NPA but slammed the military for taking a photo of Jevilyn’s remains along with other paraphernalia recovered by soldiers.
“Mariin kong kinokondena ang ginawang pambabastos at pambababoy sa labi ng aking anak. Hindi siya bagay, hindi siya isang tropeo na ipaparada para lamang sa propaganda ng militar (I strongly condemn the desecration and disrespect toward my daughter’s remains. She is not an object or a trophy that will be paraded for military propaganda),” she said in a statement.
Kilusang Mayo Uno also condemned the “desecration of the dead” and has appealed to the media to stop posting the images.
“We appeal to the media to refrain from posting pictures of what is clearly the military’s desecration of the dead,” their statement reads.
Meanwhile, the National Task Force to End Local Communist Armed Conflict (NPA-ELCAC) has sent its condolences to Cullamat’s family.
Department of National Defense (DND) Secretary Delfin Lorenzana also called on the other members of the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) and NPA to surrender to the government.
“The death of 22 year-old armed rebel Jevilyn Cullamat during an encounter between the New People’s Army (NPA) and government forces is a grim reminder of the effects of the fruitless armed coflict perpetrated by these communist terrorist groups,” he said.
“We call on our representatives in the Makabayan Bloc and all those who condone the atrocities committed by the NPA to denounce the divisive ideology that destroys lives and property,” he added. AAC
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.