Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

DILG orders barangays to submit report of SK expenditures for last year, sets March 15 deadline

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Friday, February 16th, 2018

FILE PHOTO: A Barangay election precinct

MANILA, Philippines — As preparation for the upcoming village and Sangguniang Kabataan (SK) elections on the 14th of May.

The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) has reminded all barangays to submit their report on where the funds of their respective SK councils went to last year.

The DILG said that the move aims to ensure that all funds for SK directly benefit the youth.

Based on the guidelines of the Commission on Elections (Comelec), 10 percent of the general fund of barangays allotted to councils should be used for youth development and empowerment programs until new SK officials are elected.

The DILG has given barangays until March 15 to submit their respective reports. — UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: , , ,

10 mayors in Cagayan Valley, Cordillera, under probe for alleged absence during ‘Ompong’

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Thursday, September 20th, 2018

Aerial view of the housing community in Baggao, Cagayan. Image courtesy of SAP Bong Go

At least 10 mayors from Cagayan Valley and Cordillera Administrative Region are under investigation for their alleged absence during the onslaught of Typhoon Ompong.

The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) said it is investigating whether these officials violated its operation list of protocols on disaster preparedness, which require heads of local government units classified as low and high risk areas during a typhoon to implement necessary preparations.

The agency has refused to name the officials, but if they are found guilty of absenteeism and negligence of duty, they will be required to submit written explanations and may even be suspended or dismissed.

“Ang kagawaran ay ayaw ng trial by publicity kung kaya’t ang mga pangalan ng mga nasabing alkalde ay ilalabas pagkatapos na makumpleto ang isinagawang imbestigasyon,” said DILG Asec. Jonathan Malaya —UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: , , , , , ,

Comelec resets COC filing to Oct. 11 to 17

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Wednesday, September 12th, 2018

MANILA, Philippines – The Commission on Elections (Comelec) has reset the schedule of filing the certificate of candidacy (COC) for the 2019 national and local elections.

Instead of doing it on October 1 to 5, the poll body moved the schedule to October 11 to 17, excluding weekends.

Comelec Spokesman James Jimenez, however, stressed that there will be no extension of filing hours on the last day of filing.  – UNTV News and Rescue

Tags: , ,

Ex-poll chief defends Comelec over fraud allegations

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Monday, August 6th, 2018

Former Comelec Chairman Sixto Brillantes (third from the right)

 

PASAY CITY, Philippines – Former Commission on Elections (Comelec) Chairman Sixto Brillantes and a poll watchdog engaged in a heated argument  on Monday (August 6) during a Senate inquiry on the alleged irregularities in the 2016 national elections.

Brillantes questioned the claims of Poll watchdog Tanggulang Demokrasya that the election was rigged citing an image presented by Atty. Glenn Chong, the accuser of the poll irregularities, on alleged selling of voters’ database in 2015.

“Ang nagbebenta po nito dating election officer ng Maragondon, Cavite ( A former election officer in Maragondon, Cavite is selling [voters’ database]),” said Chong.

But Brillantes urged the group to present more credible evidence to prove their claims.

Senate President Vicente Sotto III suggested that Comelec should investigate the matter as he has been receiving reports from different parts of the country about the alleged ballot selling.

“May mga nagbanggit sa akin, taga Nueva Ecija, taga Iloilo, na inaalok ng kung anu anong mga sistema na imbestigahan talaga ng Comelec iyan (People from Nueva Ecija and Iloilo have mentioned to me about different systems being offered that Comelec really should investigate.)  ,” Sotto said

Sotto said he will force the poll body to disclose its audit logs to determine the transmission activities involving the vote counting machines prior to the election day and to confirm if there was any irregularity that happened.

“The Office of the Senate President, thru the Committee will issue subpoena duces tecum,” he added.

The issue remained unresolved as there are still a lot of things that the Comelec should explain regarding the allegations, according to Senate Committee on Electoral Reforms Chairman Aquilino Pimentel III.

“Marami talagang pangyayari na dapat ipaliwanag ng Comelec (Comelec has a lot to explain). Some maybe glitch but still we need an explanation from the Comelec, bakit nangyayari ito (why these things are happening),” he said. – Nel Maribojoc / Marje Pelayo

Tags: ,