DILG issues warning against low-rating LGUs on road clearing ops

Maris Federez   •   October 22, 2019   •   738

Filipino street vendors push their carts as they escape during a road clearing operation in Manila, Philippines. File: EPA-EFE/ FRANCIS R. MALASIG

MANILA, Philippines – The Department of the Interior and Local Government has urged the local government units (LGUs) with low compliance or have failed ratings to do better and continue with their initiatives to clear the roads of obstructions.

The department made the statement on Tuesday (October 22) following the release of the validation results of the national road clearing program.

“Sustained operations are the key to success in the road-clearing operations. You need to exert more effort by eliciting the support of your punong barangays and your constituents. But everything begins with the political will of the mayor,” said DILG Secretary Eduardo M. Año.

“There will be another validation in December and from now up to the end of the year, LGUs will have to conduct sustained operations to restore discipline in all public roads and streets,” he added.

The latest data from the DILG-Bureau of Local Government Supervision shows that, as of October 16, 2019, of the 1,516 validated LGUs, 387 got a high compliance rating, 635 got medium compliance, and 393 got low compliance.

One hundred one (101) LGUs received a failed rating and were issued show-cause orders by the Department.

The secretary cited Taguig City for its commitment “to implement its mobility plan to give residents and visitors quicker and safer travels beyond the 60-day deadline imposed by the DILG” despite its low compliance rating.

“That is the kind of attitude that we want. This should be a challenge for LGUs to take the President’s State of the Nation Address (SONA) directive seriously because, at the end of the day, we will all benefit from the law and order brought about by cleared roads,” Año said.

Meanwhile, the DILG also issued a show-cause order to 99 barangay chairmen in Manila on Tuesday.

The DILG said the officials were not able to sustain the order in the respective areas after the 60-day clearing operations.

The officials are given 15 days to explain their non-compliance.

“Doon po sa barangay, may nakitaan po kaming pagkukulang nung Kapitan. So it is possible that even if your city or municipality passed, your barangay did not. We are trying to make that distinction in reaction to the complaints that were received by the Office of Usec Martin Dino,” said DILG spokesperson, Undersecretary Jonathan Malaya.

Usec. Dino said these barangay officials may get suspended once they are proven to have been negligent of their duties.

“Definitely maraming masasampolan, most especially here in Metro Manila. Not only in Manila all over Metro Manila. Now it depends doon sa mga reklamo,” Dino said.

The department said it has pictures and documents proving that there had been negligence on the part of the barangay chairmen in Manila when sidewalk vendors and illegal parking have gotten back to some part of the city’s everyday scenario.

“Nag- clearing operations nga si Mayor at ang ating mga Engineering at ang ating MMDA e pagtalikod naman ng Clearing Operations bumalik. It is now the responsibility of the Brgy Captain to maintain the Clearing Operations na nangyari,” Dino added. (with details from Aiko Miguel) /mbmf 

Next PNP Chief: DILG’s Año to recommend 5 names to Duterte

Robie de Guzman   •   August 7, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Eduardo Año is set to submit to President Rodrigo Duterte his shortlist of candidates to be the next chief of the Philippine National Police (PNP).

In an exclusive interview with UNTV News, Año said his list would consist of five names – three of them are three-star generals and are members of the PNP command group. The remaining two would be two-star and one-star generals but he has yet to pick the names of those he will recommend to the president.

“Sa ngayon, pare-parehas sila eh. Pero for sure, yung mga 3-star [generals] kasama yan sa ire-recommend ko. Pag-aaralan ko pa yung mga 2-star at 1-star na pwede isama sa listahan but I will submit five names,” he said.

Año said he will submit the list at least a week before the mandatory retirement of PNP chief General Archie Gamboa.

Gamboa will bow out of the police service when he reaches the mandatory retirement age of 56 on September 3.

“Normally, mga two weeks to one week before magsusubmit na ulit ako ng pangalan sa Pangulong Duterte kung sino mga ire-recommend ko, pero ibig sabihin naman nun, ang Pangulong Duterte pwedeng pumili anybody from one-star to three-star,” the DILG chief said.

Whoever will be chosen from the five would inherit a PNP that is among the country’s frontliners in the fight against the coronavirus pandemic.

All generals in the police force are eligible to be promoted to the police’s top post. The president may also choose a general outside the shortlist given by Año to be his next police chief.

When asked about the possible extension of Gamboa’s term as PNP chief amid the public health crisis, Año replied with: “Palagay ko naman wala na siguro kasi bawal naman ang extension kasi, so we have to follow the law,” he said. “Ang organization naman kasi dynamic, naka-lay out naman dyan ang direction plans kahit naman sino umupo diyan, itutuloy nya lang yung programs.”

Among the three-star generals and members of command group of the PNP are deputy chief for administration Lieutenant General Camilo Cascolan, deputy chief for operations Lieutenant General Guillermo Eleazar, and chief directorial staff Lieutenant General Cesar Hawthorne Binag.

Cascolan belongs to the Philippine Military Academy (PMA) Sinagtala Class of 1986, while both Eleazar and Binay belong to PMA Hinirang Class of 1987.

Cascolan will retire in November 2020, Eleazar in November 2021, and Binag in April 2021.

Meanwhile, among the two-star and one-star generals whose names might get picked on for the top police post are directorate for operations director Major General Emmanuel Licup, National Capital Region Police Office director Major General Debold Sinas, and Police Regional Office 4A director Brigadier General Vicente Danao Jr.

Both Licup and Sinas belong to the PMA Hinirang class of 1987 while Danao belongs to the PMA Sambisig Class of 1991. – RRD (from the report of Correspondent Lea Ylagan)

DILG tells LGUs to start planning for local recovery even if COVID-19 crisis is not yet over

Robie de Guzman   •   August 6, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) on Thursday urged local government units (LGU) to start planning and budgeting for local recovery and rehabilitation even if the threat of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is not yet over.

In a statement, DILG spokesperson Undersecretary Jonathan Malaya said the DILG, with technical support of the World Bank, has developed the “Ready to Recover (We Rise as One) COVID-19 Local Recovery Planning Guide” to help the LGUs prepare and recover from the current public health crisis.

“We need to recover now kahit ‘di pa tapos ang COVID-19 crisis kasi mas lalala ang epekto nito sa ekonomiya at kabuhayan ng ating mga kababayan,” Malaya said.

“The DILG is collaborating with other national government agencies in the Interagency Task Force (IATF) to help LGUs prepare their recovery strategies and programs. The goal is to build back better,” he added.

Malaya said that with vast parts of the country now classified as low-risk, most of the country can now begin recovery efforts on the local level to protect jobs and stimulate economic activity. 

“With private consumption and investment still down, it is now up to the national and local governments to drive consumption and investment with government spending and policies that support the growth and recovery of local businesses,” he said.

The DILG spokesman said that the planning guide will simplify the recovery and rehabilitation planning to give LGUs flexibility in interventions as it has provided sample frameworks, templates, and suggested programs, projects, and activities.

“It will guide LGUs on the coordination of recovery efforts of national, regional, and local governments including the roles, responsibilities, and institutional structures,” he said.

Malaya also stated that LGUs need not create a new local body to do the local recovery planning and budgeting as this can be done through the creation of an economic cluster within the existing Local COVID-19 Task Force headed by a mayor or governor.

In financing the local recovery from the pandemic, Malaya said that the DILG has identified at least indicative fund source options based on existing government guidelines that can be tapped by LGUs to help address the challenges of fund availability.

He said these options include national government programs and financing assistance programs of select government financial institutions (GFIs) and government-owned and controlled corporations (GOCCs).

Other possible sources are the Local Government Support Fund – Financial Assistance to LGUs (LGSF – FA), LGSF –Assistance to Municipalities, Seal of Good Local Governance (SGLG) Incentive Fund, Kapit Bisig Laban sa Kahirapan- Comprehensive and Integrated Delivery of Social Services – National Community-Driven Development Program (KALAHI-CIDSS NCDDP), Regular Agency Budget, and the 20% Development Fund (DF), he noted.

“Hindi kayo basta iiwan na lang ng nasyunal na gobyerno. We will monitor your local recovery programs and projects and assess your progress to ensure you stay on track and achieve your intended results,” Malaya said.

Pamamahagi ng SAP 2nd tranche sa Metro Manila, tatapusin ngayong linggo – DILG

Robie de Guzman   •   August 5, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – Posibleng makumpleto ngayong linggo ang pamamahagi ng ikalawang bugso ng emergency subsidy ng pamahalaan sa ilalim ng Social Amelioration Program (SAP), ayon sa Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG).

Batay sa datos ng Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD), aabot na sa P69.2 bilyong pondo ang naipamahaging para sa 9,771,490 benepisyaryo ng program.

Ayon sa DILG, target ng kagawaran na mabigyan ng ayuda ang nasa halos 12 milyong pamilya bago o pagdating ng Agosto 15.

“Kahapon nag-commit ang DSWD na ibibigay yan sa loob ng linggong ito sa lahat ng benepisyaryo so timing na timing kasi pag sinasabing MECQ hindi makapagrababaho ang tao nandyan ang national para ibigay yung second tranche,” ani DILG spokesperson at Undersecretary Jonathan Malaya.

Ang mga hindi nakatanggap sa unang bugso ng ayuda o ang mga tinatawag na ‘waitlisted’ ay P16,000 ang makukuha.

Kasama rin sa programa ang mga tsuper ng jeep na ilang buwan na ring hindi nakakapamasada dahil sa ipinatutupad na community quarantine sa gitna ng COVID-19 pandemic.

Digital ang pamamahagi ng ayuda sa pamamagitan ng automated teller machine (ATM) card o kaya ay GCash na isang mobile wallet platform na ginagamit sa bansa.

Naniniwala si Malaya na malaking tulong ito sa mga pamilya na mawawalan ng kita dahil sa muling pagsailalim sa modified enhanced community quarantine ng Metro Manila at mga karatig-lugar.

Kaugnay nito, nagbabala naman ang DILG sa publiko na mag-ingat sa naglipana umanong text scam na ginagamit ang SAP.

“Hanggang sa umagang ito, may naloloko sa text dahil sa scam ng social amelioration program. Kami ay nanawagan as taongbayan na pagka nakatanggap kayo ng text at sinasabing taga-DSWD na nag-text sa inyo at kailangang ibigay niyo ang pin huwag na huwag niyong ibibigay ang pin,” ani Malaya. – RRD (mula sa ulat ni Correspondent Dante Amento)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.