MANILA, Philippines — The convener of Action for Good Governance, Atty. Argee Guevarra, argues that the quality of the new batch of passports are substandard.
In a press conference this on Monday, Atty. Guevarra showed a leaf from a supposed newly printed passport given to him by his informant.
He said compared to the ones we have now, the new print is thinner and the embedded watermarks are not that clear.
He added this might be labelled as fake and will not pass the reading machines at airports locally and internationally.
This might result in possible detention and repatriation of passport holders and overseas Filipino workers who will use such passports.
“The new quality of paper and the corresponding watermarks, it will be revealed that the new passport paper wont even pass master the passport reading machines, locally and internationally,” Guevarra said.
Atty. Guevarra says DFA entered into a questionable transaction with Asian Productivity Organization or APO that is contracted to do the printing.
An informant allegedly told Guevarra that APO outsourced the printing through another private corporation, the United Graphic Expression Corporation (UGEC) without the permission from DFA.
“Our existing passports has specific watermarks specific thickness of paper, and yet because of the APO production outsourcing through anomalous joint venture agreement with private printing office, our use of passport are compromised,” Guevarra added.
Guevarra said UGEC is the company also involved in mighty cigarettes stamp issue.
As of this time, DFA has not yet issued a statement or comment on the matter. — Joyce Balancio | UNTV News and Rescue
109 undocumented OFWs return home from Dubai
Undocumented OFWs who availed the amnesty program of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) | Department of Foreign Affairs
The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Wednesday brought home 109 overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) from Dubai.
The agency has now repatriated a total of 838 OFWs since the amnesty program began in August.
The Office of Migrant Workers Affairs shouldered airline tickets, exit fines and other penalties of the returning OFWs.
Each of the repatriates were given financial assistance of P5,000 as part of the government’s “all-out support” for the returning OFWs.
“Your presence here today demonstrates the kind of care and compassion President Duterte has for our overseas workers,” Undersecretary for Migrant Workers Affairs Sarah Lou Y. Arriola said
She also reminded all Filipinos who are seeking employment overseas to make sure that they go through the proper application process and follow the rules and regulations of the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA).
Undocumented Filipinos who wish to return to the Philippines under this program will be assisted by the Philippine Consulate General in Dubai and the Philippine Embassy in Abu Dhabi.
Consul General Paul Raymund Cortes encouraged qualified Filipinos to take advantage of the UAE’s amnesty program before the 31 October 2018 deadline, to give the Embassy and the Consulate General ample time to process the necessary documents.
DFA identifies OFW found inside a septic tank in South Korea
PASAY CITY, Philippines – The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) confirmed Monday, May 7, that it has identified the overseas Filipino worker (OFW) whose remains were found inside a septic tank in South Korea.
DFA Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano refused to name the victim, whose identity was verified through DNA samples from relatives, so as not to preempt the ongoing investigation.
The victim, who was reported missing since last month, arrived in South Korea in 2016 and worked as a factory worker.
DFA is now expediting the repatriation of the remains of the victim while authorities are tracking the whereabouts of the prime suspect who is also an OFW. – Asher Cadapan Jr. | UNTV News & Rescue
Cayetano says no to resignation unless Duterte orders it
Department Foreign Affairs (DFA) Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano
PASAY CITY, Philippines – Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano maintained there is no reason for him to resign, at least for now, following reports of career diplomats allegedly calling for his ouster from the DFA.
Cayetano said he will only leave his post should President Rodrigo Duterte ask him to.
“If the President wants me to go, I will go happily and I will continue to support him,” he said.
Cayetano said though it is normal for critics to make such call, he urged them to leave the agency and its career officials out of the controversy.
The Secretary remains confident that he has the support of DFA staff behind him amid the issues.
“If a majority in the Department of Foreign Affairs says, ‘we cannot follow you,’ I have no business being there. But so far, I have had meetings with them and, so far, they understand. They might not necessarily agree with our direction, but they understand,” he concluded. – Asher Cadapan Jr. | UNTV News & Rescue