Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

DepEd demands explanation after school owner burns students’ valuables in Bicol

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Sunday, August 19th, 2018

The burnt remains of a student’s backpack

 

BICOL, Philippines – A video of a man badmouthing a group of senior high school students in Bicol trended on social media over the weekend.

The students were from Bicol Central Academy (BCA) and the man yelling at them was school owner-administrator James Jaucian, an incumbent councilor of the second district of Libmanan, Camarines Sur.

According to the students, they were supposed to serve as teaching substitutes to lower grade students as the teachers were having a seminar at the nearby building.

The ruckus sparked when Jaucian scolded the students for bringing in their school things in large bags instead of small slings, citing that such items would only distract them.

Angry parents immediately rushed to the school upon learning of the incident.

Salita Vacaro, parent of one of the students, had been waiting in front of the principal’s office to demand an explanation, but none of the staff accommodated her.  She was told that no one in authority was there to explain the matter.

Vacaro and other parents appealed to Jaucian to explain and to pay for the valuables that were damaged. The items included cellular phones, laptop computers and ATM cards of some students.

Meanwhile, DepEd Regional Director 5 Gilbert Sadsad admitted that they have not received any information yet about the burning incident but he promised to delved into the issue and investigate further.

School Division Superintendent Cecille Bernadette Rivera, in a text message to UNTV, said that: “Private schools are still under our supervision. We sent a letter to BCA, Mr. Jaucianm, for his explanation on the issue and why he cannot be sanctioned.”

Sadsad said authorities are now investigating on the matter.- Allan Manansala / Marje Pelayo

 

Tags: , ,

School opening stays on June 3 – DepEd

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Tuesday, April 16th, 2019

📷 Mosquiton Isacar | Photoville International

MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Education (DepEd) maintained that the school opening for the basic education level this School Year (SY) 2019-2020 will remain on June 3.

Education Secretary Leonor Briones explained that the school calendar for this coming school year has already been approved and is set to be released next week.

Briones expressed the agency’s reluctance to move the school calendar because of three major considerations that involve students and learners such as school facilities, health, and other “summer” activities already scheduled.

The Education Secretary emphasized on the matter following a directive from the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) which ordered all State Universities and Colleges (SUCs) as well as Local Universities and Colleges (LUCs) to shift their respective academic calendars to August starting the Academic Year (AY) 2019-2020. – Marje Pelayo

Tags: , , , ,

Deped discourages schools from inviting poll bets to graduation rites

by Maris Federez   |   Posted on Tuesday, March 5th, 2019

The Department of Education (DepEd) on Tuesday reminded schools against inviting election bets to graduation ceremonies.

In a statement, DepEd clarified that inviting candidates to graduations “is not prohibited per se, but it is highly discouraged this election season because it may be misinterpreted as endorsement of candidates by our principals and teachers.”

However, if the attendance or invitation of a candidate merits a valid reason, DepEd warned its officials not to let it degenerate into an endorsement or solicitation of votes.

The graduation speaker should also stick to theme and not bring campaign materials or paraphernalia. – Robie de Guzman

Tags: , ,

Grade 6, SHS students to have graduation rites – DepEd

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Monday, March 4th, 2019

MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Education (DepEd) clarified on Saturday (March 2) that Grade 6 completers for school year 2018-2019 shall have their graduation rites.

“The Department of Education (DepEd) wishes to clarify that its original issuance of DepEd Order No. 2, series 2019 (School Year 2018-2019 K to 12 Basic Education Program End of School Year Rites) dated February 18, stating that Grade 6 completers of the current school year shall have a graduation ceremony, is the correct and agreed upon Order of the agency,” Education Secretary Leonor Briones said in a statement.

In February, Briones issued Department Order 002 s. 2019 which states that only Grade 12 learners from schools, including international schools, with DepEd-approved K to 12 programs and those schools with permit to operate Senior High School since 2014; can hold graduation rites this year.

Meanwhile, Grades 6 and 10 as well as kindergarten pupils, according to the same order, would only have “moving up” exercises.

“Thus, the change was not only unauthorized; it was also without basis,” Briones said referring to clarified order.

The Education Secretary added that the moving-up ceremony instead of graduation ceremony for Grade 6 is still under discussion by DepEd’s Executive Committee. Once it is approved, the Department will announce the approval to all concerned.

Briones reminds school administration that all end-of-school year rites must be set within April 1 to April 5 only.

Graduation and moving up exercises, specifically in public schools, must be simple and there shall be no monetary collections from students.

The Education Secretary apologized for the “inconvenience or confusion that the issue may have caused.

“DepEd assures its stakeholders that it is taking measures to ensure that incidents similar to this will not happen again,” the Secretary concluded. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Aiko Miguel)

Tags: , ,