Dengvaxia won’t bring dengue cases down – DOH

Maris Federez   •   August 8, 2019   •   1398

The controversial dengue vaccine, Dengvaxia

The Department of Health (DOH) on Thursday maintained that Dengavaxia is not the answer to the problem of the high incidence of dengue in the country.

DOH spokesperson and Officer in Charge of the Food and Drug Administration, Usec. Eric Domingo explained that dengue is not like any other disease where vaccination is the only solution.

He stressed that Dengvaxia is still not a registered drug in the country and its efficacy is not yet fully proven.

“This vaccine is not for an outbreak response. It’s designed for future use sa mga taong nagka- dengue na dati [for people who have had dengue before],” Domingo said.

A World Health Organization (WHO) report showed that “Dengvaxia was first licensed in Mexico in December 2015 for use in individuals 9-45 years of age living in endemic areas, and is now licensed in 20 countries.”

It was then used in 11 countries in 2016, including the Philippines.

But it was only in September 2018 that the WHO recommended that Dengvaxia be only administered to children who were previously infected with dengue, adding that it is dangerous for those who have not yet gotten the disease.

This caused among the public, as well as, experts as the Philippines is the only country who had used Dengvaxia vaccination on a wider scope, with more than 800,000 children inoculated.

The DOH maintained that there is still no concrete study to date that claimed that children who are vaccinated with Dengvaxia will never be infected with dengue.

“It’s very difficult because you’re tested and then you’re positive but you’re actually false positive. Then if you give the Dengvaxia, who knows that the severe dengue reaction will not occur in a particular individual. So, there’s a risk, in other words,” DOH Secretary Francisco Duque III said.  (with details from Aiko Miguel) /mbmf

Mga buntis at nagpapasuso, hinikayat magpabakuna vs banta ng COVID-19 Delta variant

Robie de Guzman   •   August 2, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — Hinimok ng Department of Health (DOH) ang mga buntis at nagpapasuso na magpabakuna na kontra COVID-19 sa harap ng banta ng mas nakakahawang Delta variant at iba pang coronavirus variants.

Ayon kay DOH Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire, kasama sila sa mga itinuturing na vulnerable population na prayoridad ng pamahalaan na mabigyan ng COVID-19 shots.

Aniya, sang-ayon ang DOH sa pahayag ng health authorities sa United Kingdom na mataas ang posibilidad na magkaroon ng severe COVID-19 infection ang mga buntis, lalo na kung hindi sila bakunado.

Ayon kay Vergeire, maaari namang magpabakuna ang mga nagdadalantao pagkatapos ng kanilang first trimester o unang tatlong buwan.

“Maaari pong magpabakuna 2nd trimester at pataas,” ani Vergeire.

Gayunman, hindi sila maaaring turukan ng Sputnik V na gawa ng Gamaleya Research Institute dahil bawal ito sa mga buntis at nagpapasuso.

“Hindi po nila pwedeng tanggapin ang Gamaleya vaccine or Sputnik V because specific to the indication of Sputnik V, bawal po siya sa mga buntis at nagpapasuso. Other than that, all the other vaccines it is acceptable na ibigay po sa kanila,” ani Vergeire.

Sa kasalukuyan, nasa 216 na ang kaso ng Delta variant sa Pilipinas.

Nasa 17 ang nananatiling aktibo, 190 ang gumaling na habang 9 naman ang nasawi.

Sa mga aktibong kaso, 15 ang local cases at dalawa ang returning overseas Filipinos. Sa kabuuan ay nasa 165 ang local cases ng Delta variant sa bansa.

Batay sa bagong pag-aaral, ang isang carrier ng Delta variant ay posibleng makapanghawa ng lima hanggang walong indibiduwal sa loob lamang ng ilang segundo.

Nasa 1,000 beses rin na mas madami ang viral load ng isang positibo sa Delta variant kumpara sa ibang COVID-19 variants of concern.

Samantala, tiniyak naman ng DOH na magpapatuloy ang pagbabakuna sa mga priority sector kahit mas hinigpitan ang community quarantine restrictions sa ilang panig ng bansa.

Payo naman ng DOH sa mga lokal na pamahalaan, seguruhing maluwag at may sapat na bentilasyon ang vaccination sites.

Dapat ring iwasan ang pagkukumpulan ng mga magpapabakuna at kailangang nasusunod ang minimum public health standards.

Dapat rin aniyang masunod ang scheduling ng pagbabakuna at ipagbawal ang walk-in.

“Walk-ins will not be allowed. There will be pre-registration. Magkakaroon po ng strict rescheduling para hindi po nagkakaroon ng mass gatherings sa ating bakunahan,” ani Vergeire.

“Dapat ang local governments (mag-provide) ng transportation for these vaccinees dahil alam natin limitado ang transportasyon kapag ECQ po ang ating gagawin,” dagdag pa niya. – RRD (mula sa ulat ni Correspondent Aiko Miguel)

Phl logs 8,735 new COVID-19 infections; total active cases at 63,646

Maris Federez   •   August 2, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Health (DOH) on Sunday reported 8,735 new coronavirus diseases (COVID-19) infections, raising the total active cases to 63,646.

The reported new infections brought the country’s overall tally to 1,597,689.

This is the third straight day that more than 8,000 cases were recorded in the country.

Of the said active cases, 94% are mild, 1.3% are asymptomatic, 2.1% are severe, and 1.2% are in critical condition.

The department has also recorded 5,930 recoveries, bringing the total number of patients who recuperated from said respiratory illness to 1,506,027.

The death toll climbed to 28,016 with 127 new fatalities.

Meanwhile, the DOH said 11 duplicates were removed from the total case count.

On the other hand, nine cases previously tagged as recoveries have been validated to be active cases, while 70 cases that were previously marked as recoveries have been reclassified as deaths after final validation. —/mbmf

Deployment of SONA cops pending COVID-19 test result a breach of protocol – DOH

Robie de Guzman   •   July 29, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – The deployment of cops still awaiting results of their COVID-19 test during President Rodrigo Duterte’s State of the Nation Address (SONA) was a breach of protocol, the Department of Health (DOH) said Thursday.

“We will say that there was this breach because we have guidelines for that at alam po natin that they should not have been deployed kung hindi pa po natin alam ang resulta,” Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said in a virtual press briefing.

The Quezon City Police District (QCPD) on Wednesday reported that 82 of its personnel have contracted COVID-19, 51 of whom were part of the security contingent deployed during the SONA on July 26.

Vergeire stressed that if testing was done for screening purposes, they should have been quarantined first before their deployment.

The DOH is also not dismissing the possibility that the cops who caught COVID-19 could be super spreaders.

Vergeire called on those who may have had contact with the cops, particularly the protesters last Monday, to get in tough with local authorities.

The DOH is also closely monitoring with the Quezon City government for the conduct of active contact tracing.

“Hindi po natin dapat pinagpapabukas ang contact tracing dahil isang araw lang po na hindi natin mahanap iyong taong nakasalamuha o nakapag-interact sa isang positibong kaso, maaari na po nating maikalat ang impeksyon,” Vergeire said.

PNP chief Guillermo Eleazar on Thursday morning announced he has ordered the relief of QCPD Station 3 commander, Police Lt. Col. Christine Tabdi over the incident. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Aiko Miguel)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.